Author Topic: The Pearl Awards  (Read 5853 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: The Pearl Awards
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2005, 04:50:21 AM »
Her Best Contemporary Recording was a song she did for EFY, and is on that album (the most recent year, I think.  I'm not sure).  The Studio Vocalist work is stuff she's done for other artists.

Hopefully her album will be out soon.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2005, 05:39:02 PM »
Cool. Is the one she is on Stand in the Light (2004)? Or the one that just came out this year?

I have Stand in the Light, but not the most recent. I like to get the EFY CDs so I have some good music to listen to on Sunday--fun and spiritual.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2005, 02:08:51 AM »
She's actually been on two or three.  I'm not sure which, unfortunately.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

scAri

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • ?
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 07:06:29 AM »
Hey JadeKnight, I just thought you should know I'm the only person on www.thefacebook.com who has listed April Meservy as an interest...

She should totally be my sister. I'm going to steal her from you.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 07:07:15 AM by Ari »

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 04:00:55 PM »
No.  You'll just have to marry me and share her.

yaya

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2006, 06:20:04 PM »
Let's set the record straight!!! Jadeknight made a very ignorant comment about a Project Israel Curtis is working on called Sleepthief! Jadeknight not having ANYTHING to do with Justin Elswick or Sleepthief said that Justin was just the one with the money and that Israel was doing most of the work...I find this to be a very rude comment when you know nothing about Sleepthief. Justin Elswick was working on this Album long before he ever met Isreal..Yes Israel is helping Justin with the album, but Justin wrote the majority of the songs...It is JUSTIN'S album..I really think you should do your research before you make comments like that...and I have a hunch that you're bitter because your sisters not on the album!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2006, 08:11:20 PM »
Chill, dude.  He just said he had a hunch about it, it wasn't a personal attack on the guy. You'll make more friends around here with a calm, mature post correcting someone's mistakes than you will with an over-emotional attack.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2006, 01:29:33 PM »
I don't know for certain about most of the tracks (seeing as I haven't heard them all or asked Israel specifically about the project), but one track at least, "Desire of Ages", is without question primarily Israel's work.  I could show you a version of the track pre-Sleepthief and you could compare it to the Sleepthief version, and you'd agree, too (the primary difference being the vocals).  (And, for my part, I actually prefer the pre-Sleepthief version).

And the fact of the matter is that Justin is the one with the money, and regardless of who does the work, his name will go on it because he is employing Israel.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 01:33:48 PM by JadeKnight »

VoiceOfReason

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2006, 02:51:32 AM »
Let's not speculate about who wrote what for the Sleepthief album until we see the actual credits, hmmm?

As listed on his Website, the album is a collaboration of many artists with Justin as a primary/co-writer, over-seer in the production.  Jade Knight, your first statement was unfair to suggest that Justin was mostly a money man for the project.  Please be careful about what you post on the WWW.

Btw, your sister has a phenomenal voice.  I am a big fan.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2006, 09:39:44 AM »
I think that Voice of Reason is a bit misnomered.

Justin_Elswick

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2006, 02:37:20 PM »
As the creator of SLEEPTHIEF, I thought I would clarify the relationship between myself and Israel and the other artists appearing on the album.

First, April has been a good friend of mine for several years and has been supportive of the album.  Initially we had discussed her involvement, but she was very busy and things developed differently.  April is talented and I think she is doing a great job with her music.

Israel IS a very talented engineer, producer, programmer and musician.  And DESIRE OF AGES was a song that he primarly wrote before I really knew him.  When I heard the rough demo he had, he offered the song to include as part of the SLEEPTHIEF album because he felt it would "fit."  I thought it was a great tune and felt a strong lyrical message in the music.
Besides the two cover songs, Afterthoughts and Nightjar, the balance of the songs were all written by me (the underlying music).  Some of the vocalists contributed melodies and/or lyrics.  Israel and I worked closely in the studio.  Many of the songs already had various string arrangements and percussion and so forth that I had already programmed.  When we "dumped" the data onto Israel's system, we basically replaced many of the instruments or added additional layers.  
Therefore, while the work was a collaborative effort and Israel was an integral part, I (IN FACT) provided more than the money--I wrote most of the songs and also lyrics to several tracks...I am not just the "brain" that got everyone together...I am a songwriter and piano player as well as a lyricist.  Furthermore, it was my connections with the artists that brought them on board.  Israel and I are not competitive or precious.  SLEEPTHIEF is my project, but like most good things, I had a very important and talented group of people supporting me and contributing--without them, the album would not be what it is.