Author Topic: Yet more French stupidness  (Read 1854 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Yet more French stupidness
« on: March 17, 2006, 07:57:15 PM »
So as many of you know I'm not a huge fan of the iPod as a technical device nor do I like how iTunes can only be used with the iPod but over in France they're trying to make it illegal to have proprietary codexs that competitors can't use.  And if Apple doesn't open up itunes and the iPod to competitors Apple has to stop selling them in France.

While I disagree with Apple keeping things locked up like they do I dislike France's methods even more.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,188270,00.html
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Yet more French stupidness
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 10:35:52 AM »
meh the ramfications of the law are bad for French companies too. It probably wont pass, but if it does Apple has a few options. Since french law has no real monitary penalties, they can just igonore it and fight it in court arguing that the ability to by songs in Itunes and then burn them to cd as an MP3 (making them open to every player) makes them compliant, or they can pull out of the french market, which while a financial loss wouldn't be horrific. Music companies arent going to like it one bit, since it effectively strips music files of DRM.

Like I said, I dont htink it will pass, but if it does, I dont think it will make a big difference.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 09:26:38 AM »
the bill is going to pass, however without the iTunes restrictions whic were stripped from it. All it is now is a DRM bill which makes it a crime to distribute copies of songs.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

darkjetti81

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 12:13:29 AM »
You know, Apple really needs to learn from their mistakes...   Their company was falling appart because they refused to compromise and integrate with anything.  Then they brought in a new director and he sat the board down and said "look the only way to save this company is to deal with Microsoft, and that's the bottom line.."  
Now notice how you can get XP for Apple, and how Ipod can plug into any computer and relate software with microsoft, etc.

But I still say Apple is too uncompramising, and they could stand to make more profit by loosening up a little.  If you'll notice they make most of their money not from selling their stubborn computers, but by selling ipods etc..

Oh, and France!  Don't even get me started...