Author Topic: Music actually affects the way you behave?  (Read 2815 times)

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Music actually affects the way you behave?
« on: August 07, 2006, 04:23:19 PM »
Go figure.  Some geniuses have actually figured out that if you listen to music with sexually explicit lyrics, you have a better chance at becoming sexually active at an earlier age.  What surprises me honestly is that there are some people who are trying to down play this.  I'm sure music isn't the only factor, but it would seem kind of obvious to me that it's A factor--especially when the study's focused on YAs.

Here's the link:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/parenting/08/07/sexlyrics.teens.ap/index.html

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Music actually affects the way you behave?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 05:02:51 PM »

genius. Just... genius.

How can people honestly believe that the media you intake has absolutely no affect on you?

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 06:05:00 PM »

genius. Just... genius.

How can people honestly believe that the media you intake has absolutely no affect on you?

Because people believe what they want to believe, no matter how harmful their lies are to themselves.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 09:12:18 PM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 06:08:38 PM »
Drop it ok 42!  Listen no matter how many times you tell me otherwise the Easter Bunny is real and he's planning on chocolate coating all of us for revenge of us doing the same to bunnies and eggs.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

chunktile

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 09:46:30 PM »
Well, since I am a YA, I completely agree with the study. At my school one can distinctly notice the similarities in people and the music they listen to.
EX:
--Rock and songs with depressing lyrics are generally found with the 'goths' or 'emo' kids.
--Rap, R&B, and Light Rock, are found with the popular crowd.
--The 'plain' kids, I've noticed, like a variety of music rather than one specific genre.

The school censors the music at dances and assemblies. I've heard so many kids protesting that their "favorite" songs aren't being played. When the teachers and principal say "It's because of the raunchy lyrics," the kids who are whining respond, "We listen to the beat." I've seen them dirty dance and sing the lyrics without even thinking about it. It affects them whether they want to believe it or not.
If everyone is different, then no one is the same. With no definition of the normal, aren't we all insane?

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 09:49:42 PM »
Of course, this brings up the question about whether it's the kids that pick the music, and that the ones who would already be prone to have sex earlier are the ones who are drawn to those types of songs.  Still, the study was conducted over about 4 years, and the respondents were all or mostly virgins at the time . . .  I don't know.  I'd have to see the actual study to tell more, but I hadn't thought of that angle before.  Even so, it seems like a study that's only confirming what ought to be obvious.

Zal

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • mmmm... donuts...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 01:13:37 AM »
i dunno... did the studies mention any connection between Rap and suicidalism?  because my friend listens to rap all the time, and she's had a problem with cutting since before we met.  i should probably read the study itself, but i'm too lazy.  i'll let you experts fill me in.  :)