Author Topic: What are you Listening to?  (Read 97241 times)

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
Re: What are you Listening to?
« Reply #195 on: January 18, 2008, 04:59:04 AM »
Soundtrack to Meet the Robinsons (my wife's idea).
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Crux

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 21, 2008, 10:44:57 PM »
Sitting at a comptuer all day I end up listening to a lot of music and as such getting myself quite a large library that I am very proud of.

I got into downloading a lot of piano compositions (due to my love of the instrument and desire to master it myself one day...), so currently I'm listening to

Piano Concerto No.1 in E Minor, Op. 11: II. Romance (Larghetto) composed by Chopin performed by Charles Dutoit, Jorge Bolet & Orchestre symphonique de Montréal

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #197 on: January 22, 2008, 02:49:25 PM »
* The Holy Saint,  Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers flexes his winamp/m-player/iTunes/whatever muscles

so, a big library you're proud of eh? are we talking on the order of 27000 tracks?  Am I still the master? or must I humbly bow my head and concede that someone on TWG has a larger library than me?

(this is only mp3 or other e-formats, I haven't counted my CDs, 8-Tracks, vynal, or tapes)

Crux

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2008, 05:18:47 PM »
/bow

Oh no, even my co-worker has more than me, im only at a humble 32GB (about 5700).  but im still proud of it!  I'm still young, give me time. ;)

So I'm curious, what among those are, lets say, the top 5 most listened to albums?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #199 on: January 24, 2008, 02:24:58 PM »
5700 is not a lowly number. I just wonder how much I have compared to "normal" people.
(I got at least half my collection by subscribing to unlimited downloads from Napster and converting the files to mp3, thus I have everything by any performer I ever liked but never bought albums from)

You may refer to my Last.FM page for listening statistics:
http://www.last.fm/user/theLemur/

I don't listen to albums, generally, unless they're specifically designed as albums, things like Tommy, or The Planets, or The Wall. My usual approach is to throw everything into the playlist (it takes several minutes for any playback software to compile this, I've tried winamp, itunes, and WMP) shuffle it a few times, and then play it through. You know, until I have music I need to add to it and reshuffle it. Currently I have roughly 1000 songs I haven't put in the playlist yet. I may not, since the vast majority of them were gleaned from the Onion AV Club's list of top 25 albums of 2007 (some of which were released in 2006).

On that page you have my top all time listened to artists. I suspect if I were to sync my iPod up with that data more faithfully Rush would move up a few notches.

My classical is, unfortunately, difficult to categorize. Some of it has the misfortune of being labelled as by the performer rather than the composer, as I think (most) classical/concert music should be labelled. I need to fix that.

Crux

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 24, 2008, 04:06:25 PM »
Excellent!  Thank's for the link.  I've never heard of They Might Be Giants, sounded good, downloading the album Flood right now.

My playcount is a little skewed since I switched from WMP to iTunes awhile back, but currently among my most listened to artists are:

Nobuo Uematsu (he's the composer of the music in the Final Fantasy video games, I got all the "Piano Collections" albums, they are wonderful!)
Bullet For My Valentine
Lily Allen
Imogen Heap
Blaqk Audio
The Shins
Clint Mansell (the soundtrack to The Fountain *highly recommend*)
Chiodos

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 24, 2008, 04:53:43 PM »
I've never heard of They Might Be Giants...

:o

5700 tracks and you have never heard of They Might Be Giants?  Something about that seems inherently wrong....
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 24, 2008, 05:19:26 PM »
Hey Crux, I see you have Bullet for My Valentine on your most listened to list. Ever listen to any Killswitch Engage or As I Lay Dying? They are two fantastic Metalcore bands...
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #203 on: January 24, 2008, 06:43:28 PM »
well, what he listens to seems to be more classical and metal, not really in the circles TMBG floats around. Now if he'd said he'd never heard of the Beatles or the Rolling Stones, (like a missionary companion I had once), that'd be wrong, what with their cultural significance and all.  TMBG doesn't really float in any circles anymore. The Shins would be the closest, in terms of fan base crossover, but I don't see that as an automatic association.

But yes, Flood is an excellent album to start with. It's really what launched them into the spotlight. My other favs to listen to as albums are John Henry and Mink Car

Crux

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 24, 2008, 06:59:27 PM »
Quote from: Azhev
5700 tracks and you have never heard of They Might Be Giants?  Something about that seems inherently wrong....

heehee yeah... well most of my music comes from the "people who bought this also bought these" lists in iTunes.  They Might Be Giants are quite unique.  It's funny actually, I was chatting with some people and someone quoted a line from Particle Man, but no one else in the group knew what it was from, they just thought he was making fun of Spider-Man, or at least if they did know it was from TMBG no one said anything.  This all happened yesterday and then today I come across the song.   :o

Hey Crux, I see you have Bullet for My Valentine on your most listened to list. Ever listen to any Killswitch Engage or As I Lay Dying? They are two fantastic Metalcore bands...

Though I don't own any songs by either, I'm familar with both.  Killswitch Engage actually has a song in Guitar Hero III :D  

In the vien of BFMV I'd recommend:
Chiodos (as mentioned above) I LOVE this band!
Red

Along the lines of Killswitch and As I Lay Dying I really like:
August Burns Red
Atreyu
All That Remains
Kittie

And depending on how hardcore you want to go...
Job For A Cowboy

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 24, 2008, 07:42:40 PM »
Crux,

What do you think of all of the transitions/progressions Atreyu has gone through from Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses all the way to Lead Sails Paper Anchor? Especially, what do you think of the fact that Brandon Saller has pretty much taken over the lead from Alex Varkatzas?

Oh and just a little FYI, Atreyu is on the Taste of Chaos tour with A7X and BFMV, just in case you already didn't know...
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Crux

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2008, 09:04:48 PM »
I actually don't know anything about the band Atreyu or their history.  Tbh, imo, their sound is something less than memorable.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy listening to them, but amongst the plethora of artists out there they don't really stand out.   :-\

...Now that I think about it though, you could argue that point about any band.  I think the bands you tend to care more about are ones you are somehow personally/emotionally vested in.  As such, ask me my thoughts on AFI or Dispatch and I'd have more to say.  :P

Bryant

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 30, 2008, 03:32:57 PM »
At current, really digging Buckethead & Friends - Nottingham Lace.

Mostly I listen to 80's metal and rock,  though I do listen to quite a bit of rock and metal from today. I've also got a tad bit of rap and trance/techno on my playlist, but out of my nearly 20,000 songs, they probably make up less than 1,000 of them. And then half of the rap is "nerd rap" - which is quite fun.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #208 on: January 30, 2008, 03:51:38 PM »
Plugging my way through my new music downloads (over a thousand of them, so it takes a while to get them listened to, tagged properly, and approved. Reaching the end of the Blind Boys of Alabama downloads. mmm... gospel goodness.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 30, 2008, 10:14:23 PM »
Listen to Your Heart, by Roxette. 

Man, High School sucked.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch