Author Topic: What are you Listening to?  (Read 97239 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: What are you Listening to?
« Reply #270 on: November 20, 2008, 12:30:25 PM »
Yay for JPop!  I'm a big fan of Ayumi, Utada Hikaru, and I've enjoyed what I've heard of BoA.  I generally try to go for JPop compilations over albums, so I get a collection of quality singles—as has been mentioned, Japanese music is expensive to import here.

I still listen to a fair amoun of NZH (Not JPop, but excellent foreign stuff.  Check out their music on Youtube).  I went out and bought their CD when I was in Canada this last summer, and I don't regret it (and it sure beat paying $45 to import the blasted thing!)
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #271 on: November 20, 2008, 03:02:53 PM »
The Toasters - "Underground Town"
I got my taste for the toasters from a friend in Las Vegas. He was a real ska listener. Loved the Specials and other second-generation, two-tone era ska bands. The Toasters had a song on a mix tape he gave me. They are love.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 20, 2008, 10:10:41 PM »
The Toasters are playing in a huge ska show near Boston soon called Skanksgiving. I heard one of them interviewed on a local radio station the other day. Good stuff.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 21, 2008, 05:56:05 PM »
Rediscovered my Andrew Bird albums. Yay.
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 22, 2008, 11:08:49 PM »
I'm curious, has anyone grabbed the new Snow Patrol album?  A Hundred Million Suns was just released, and it is AMAZING.  If there are any Snow Patrol fans out there, I highly recommend it.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #275 on: November 23, 2008, 11:24:06 PM »
Yay for JPop!  I'm a big fan of Ayumi, Utada Hikaru, and I've enjoyed what I've heard of BoA.

Whaaaaaa? BoA? Jpop? Please look to the northwest a bit. To that glorious country that brought us Epik High, Clazziquai, Big Bang, and Rain! Japanese people scare me immensely.  Some of the music is okay, but the culture is an frightening beast. I don't know what happened to the Japanese when they migrated off the mainland, but they make Chinese people look sane. ;)

The Toasters are awesome! My HS band teacher was a huge fan of Second/Third Wave, so we listened to stuff like the Allstonians quite often. We even played "Bumblebee Tuna" by Mephiskapheles in pep band!

Ach, now I'm listening to The Toasters and Epik High in one playlist! The weird, it won't wash off!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 05:29:58 AM by sortitus »
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #276 on: November 24, 2008, 04:49:59 AM »
Japanese people scare me immensely.

That's a little harsh. Have you been to Japan? I lived there for two years and it was amazing. They were the nicest people I've ever met. Helluva lot nicer than American's as a whole.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 24, 2008, 05:27:19 AM »
That's a little harsh. Have you been to Japan? I lived there for two years and it was amazing. They were the nicest people I've ever met. Helluva lot nicer than American's as a whole.

I'll admit that it did come off a bit harsh, but I've lived with Japanese people stateside. About two and a half years worth in total. At one point with seven different Japanese guys. Their culture is radically different from ours. I loved the guys I lived with. They were all awesome people, but the culture is an extreme change from what we are used to. I was poking fun at the culture->music->Generous Knight's music tastes.  :-/

Sorry about that. I should have made it more clear. Perhaps through the use of an adeptly placed emoticon... Yes, an emoticon would work quite well....
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #278 on: November 24, 2008, 06:13:55 AM »
Japanese culture is indeed drastically different from our own, and understandably so.  This is not that unusual…

And also does not mean that their music doesn't rock.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #279 on: November 24, 2008, 08:56:14 AM »

I'll admit that it did come off a bit harsh, but I've lived with Japanese people stateside. About two and a half years worth in total. At one point with seven different Japanese guys. Their culture is radically different from ours. I loved the guys I lived with. They were all awesome people, but the culture is an extreme change from what we are used to. I was poking fun at the culture->music->Generous Knight's music tastes.  :-/

Sorry about that. I should have made it more clear. Perhaps through the use of an adeptly placed emoticon... Yes, an emoticon would work quite well....

Hehe, no harm done. I'll admit I overtly defend the Japanese culture at times. Guess it just comes from living there and falling in love with the culture.  :)

Did someone say J-Rock?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fjEniW-vJ8&feature=related

I <3 X Japan. One of my favorite bands of all time.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #280 on: November 24, 2008, 02:53:26 PM »
hmm...Cranberry, did you serve a mission there?

Your defense sounded a lot like how I defend Mexico. (The people there really ARE a million times better than Americans) because I too lived there for two years. And I MUCH prefer Mexican Rock to anything Japan has added to the mix. :)

I Listen to a LOT of Latin music. :)
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 24, 2008, 03:25:59 PM »
I would guess he spent time there with the navy.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #282 on: November 24, 2008, 10:18:21 PM »
hmm...Cranberry, did you serve a mission there?

Your defense sounded a lot like how I defend Mexico. (The people there really ARE a million times better than Americans) because I too lived there for two years. And I MUCH prefer Mexican Rock to anything Japan has added to the mix. :)

I Listen to a LOT of Latin music. :)

Spent two years there while in the Navy. Was stationed in Sasebo, Japan, which is about an hour and a half west of Nagasaki.  :)

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 25, 2008, 05:38:22 AM »
Haha! I'm on a ska kick now. "Shame and Scandal" by Madness is just hilarious!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #284 on: November 28, 2008, 05:21:17 AM »
So, during my five hours of writing time this Thanksgiving (hooray for long swaths of time where parents are cooking!), I discovered the song "momentum" by Ayumi Hamasaki. I've listened to it all day.

Seriously, her album, Secret, is phenomenal. Definitely worth the money to import.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.