Author Topic: What are you Listening to?  (Read 97282 times)

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
Re: What are you Listening to?
« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2007, 07:41:44 PM »
Black Lab.  Wow.  This band is amazing.  If you haven't heard of em, check em out.  Well worth the time.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2007, 04:25:01 PM »
Black Holes and Revelations by Muse.  This album is great!
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 15, 2007, 10:29:45 PM »
Ultra Blue by Utada Hikaru. (Yes, I've finally fallen into listening to J Pop.) This album has several fantabulous songs and is well worth the extra cost to get it imported.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #168 on: June 16, 2007, 06:42:36 AM »
Eh, Ultra Blue is OK.  It's better then her first album (which I think sold 1 million copies in just a week, it out sold the Beetles in Japan), but I was expecting--or hoping for--something more along the lines of her KH2 song.

If you want a good group get Asian Kung-Fun Generation which is one of the few good J-Rock groups and of course the greatist J-Rock group, the B'z (who are hard to find on e-bay on the like so I don't have as many of their CDs as I'd like).

Another one you need to get is Chara's CD Junior Sweets, one of the best J-Pop albums ever made, doesn't even really sound like J-Pop.

Judy and Marry are also good (pop life) but they broke up years ago so they may be hard to find.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 06:45:09 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 17, 2007, 08:34:04 PM »
Well, her KHII song is on the album. :P

Thanks for the recommendations!  Let's see. I have ”リライト” (obviously) by Asian Kung-fu Generation, and I like it enough to look into them a bit further. I'll only look into Chara if you can promise me she's not bubble-gum J-Pop.

I'm kinda avoiding Abingdon Boys School (simply because I don't like Nishikawa's vocal style) and L'Arc~en~Ciel, but they're hard to avoid since they're *everywhere.* Other than that, any recs are appreciated.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #170 on: June 17, 2007, 10:29:20 PM »
ya, but the rest of the songs aren't in the same style as that (they're more bubblegum).

For Asian Kung-Fu Generation I recommend Houkai Amplifier (it's got the naruto song on it they do) but it's a shorter album.  Rewrite is on Sol-Fa.

Chara's not bubblegum, when I was there they called her the Japanese Alantis morriset, which is about as accurate as calling me the white Michael Jordan, because of the theme of the album.  But she's part of what I guess you could call the "Girl Power" movement over there with Misha and a few others, kind of a "we actually have talent and can sing" group that stand out because they're not generic J-pop.

L'Arc is really hit or miss for me, they keep wavering back and forth from Bubblegum to actually good music (ie rock) and they'll have one or two songs that are along those lines and then a bunch that are almost there but they then they chicken out and go back to the sap that's not very good.  Ray is a good "Best of Album" they release in '99, smile which is the one everyone knows the from (FMA song is on that one, and you can actually buy a localized version at FYE) is ok but it follows the above trend I mentioned above.

Never heard Adingdon Boys School, though I really don't follow the Japanese music charts much at all, considering how hard it is to get over here  and how easy it is to get burned by really, really bad music (especially at $30 a cd) I'm very cautious before getting anything.  Much like I am with Anime, 98% of everything made sucks and sometimes it's just not worth the time trying to weed out the good things.  Of course if you can't buy it here in the US via normal means (ie not import or ebay) I tend to just download, if they don't want to let me buy their music (the music labels) without jumping through hoops and paying twice as much as normal (which the labels don't see any of that extra money) then I'm not going to buy it.  Plus most of this stuff isn't licensed in the US.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 24, 2007, 04:56:23 AM »
If you like the more rock-style stuff, you just might like Abingdon. I'm ok with their general style--it's a little avant-guard and it has a nice edge to it. My only problem is the reason I mentioned before. If you're interested, the most accessible things my be "Howling" (which is the current opening for Darker than Black), and "Innocent Sorrow" (which was the first opening for D. Gray-man).

I'll definitely try Chara and the Asian Kung-fu albums.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #172 on: June 27, 2007, 08:41:02 PM »
Preservation Hall Jazz Band - "Muskrat Ramble"
Ever since first hearing this song, it's been one of my favorites. I mean, who can't love a new orleans style jazz song that mentions a pound of ham?

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #173 on: July 21, 2007, 05:16:22 AM »
Yes, I guess I loved him too
I can still see him in my mind climbin' that hill
Did he make it to the top, well he probably did and dropped
Struck down by the strength of the will
Ain't nothin' left here partner, just the dust of a plague that has left this whole town afraid
From now on, this'll be where you're from
Let the dead bury the dead. Your time will come
Let hot iron blow as he raised the shade

Well, there ain't no goin' back when your foot of pride come down
Ain't no goin' back

-Bob Dylan "Foot of Pride"

This song started playing on my way home from work tonight and I couldn't help but start singing it as I was riding my bike down Elmwood. People were probably turning their heads wondering what I was up to.

But seriously, this song is all sorts of fun with a beat that really gets you going with it. It's off the "Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3" cd collection.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 26, 2007, 06:37:58 PM »
Recently I have been listening to the new Smashing Pumpkins album.  Its pretty good.  Doomsday Clock is a sweet song.

Other than that, I have my mp3 disc of all the 311 albums, and a mp3 disc with all the Jamiroquai albums.  Other than that, I stick with Linkin Park...even though thier new album was kind iffy.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #175 on: July 26, 2007, 08:17:42 PM »
The new linken park is their best one yet, it's not filled with nothing but whiny emo crap like their last ones, I don't know how people can listen too an album that's nothing but one angry song after another.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 27, 2007, 04:47:18 PM »
I agree that some of the new LP songs are very good.  There are 1 or 2 tracks on it that feel like throw-away b-sides.  Oddly, I have listened to some of the b-sides, and they are better than some of the final tracks that made the album.  I still feel that Meteora is thier best album overall.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

tsuron

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 05, 2007, 11:13:06 PM »
Kamalot- "The Black Halo" (took me long enough to finally get it lol)

Almost everything form Blind Guardian.

lots of other random stuff. Basicly anything I can WoW to
and yes I just used WoW as a verb

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #178 on: September 05, 2007, 11:26:25 PM »
Love the new LP album.  And I'd be quite surprised NotBookstoreGuy if there weren't a few of the b-sides from this most recent album that you thought better than those on the album.  There were like 130 of them after all.  Absolute chaos at how many there were.  Dang.  Say, where did you listen to those b-sides anyhow?  I'd love to find some more Linkin Park material.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #179 on: September 06, 2007, 01:37:55 PM »
I need more good Indie bands. One of my recent discoveries is Robbers on High Street -- they have the lyrical attributes of Ray Davies with the pop music sensibilities of Eels. I can recommend them. Another is Freezerpop, but I've only heard one song of theirs. Liked it, but I won't recommend a band based on that.

The problem with indie  bands is indie fans. So many of them advocate a band *because* they're indie. Mogwai being a good example. A band with less of a feel for a good tune can't be found. Anyway, if any of you know a good band with the groove comparable to Dandy Warhols, Fountains of Wayne, Eels, or the like, please let me know. Most of my leads come from The Onion's AV club -- which is how I found Robbers on High Street. There promise to be some leads this week. I'll keep you posted if I find sumpin'.