Author Topic: Cool Concerts  (Read 8885 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Cool Concerts
« on: November 08, 2006, 06:10:16 PM »
Alright, starting a topic. Making coffee, getting busy. Anyways,

here you should discuss recent concerts you've been to and how cool it was/was not. Or if you remember some really awesometacular concert you went to way back when you were someone else's age, then mention it.

Last night, Tuesday the 7th of November, I went to Toronto to see Bob Dylan in concert. Yes, it was pretty cool. Also, the Foo Fighters opened for him with an acoustic set. It was a rocking fun evening.

Of course, as you may expect, Dylan was mostly unintelligble, aside from when he would really kick into the chorus. I only knew so much of the songs he was singing because I've heard them before.

The band that played with him was pretty kicking, as the sound I think they were playing was a southern country-rock-blues kind of sound. It added a fresh turn to some oldies from songs like "Tangled Up in Blue" to "Maggie's Farm."

Foo Fighters played a good set too. He even played that one song where there's a lot of screaming, explaining afterwards that he usually doesn't play that in his acoustic sets since he doesn't play in arena's often and didn't want to upset the crowds in the smaller venues.

So yes, overall, good night.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
Re: Cool Concerts
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 08:27:45 AM »
Well, I don't think that I have been to a concert since 1990, isn't that sad, but I went to see Rush that year and I thought that for three guys they totally rocked.

Oh, wait..... I did go to a Lilith Fair about six years ago, with Natalie Merchant, Indigo Girls, India Arie and many others, and that was even better than the Rush concert, especially since it was outside under the stars on a warm summer night.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 02:25:33 PM »
* SaintEhlers has an anyeurism.

"for three guys?" I'm very sorry, but Rush rocks no matter how many guys you think it normally takes to rock. They are rockin' dudes.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 04:29:49 AM »
Please don't have a stroke, I know that sounded bad, but that so was NOT the way that I meant it.  :-[ I have liked Rush since I was a kid, and was thrilled to get to go to a concert of theirs. All I meant was that in this day of having four or more people per band, I thought that with only the three of them they rocked. Sorry.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 02:14:21 PM »
ROCKS!

ROCKS I TELL YOU!

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 05:59:33 PM »
I just wish I could go see The Who.  Keith Moon won't be there but at least Pete's still around.

But it's either see The Who or have money to buy my children Christmas presents.  Maybe I should have posted this in the Grumpy Bear thread.
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 05:48:57 PM »
A few weeks ago I went and saw Phantom Planet, Motion City Soundtrack, The Hush Sound, and Panic At The Disco, on the Honda Civic Tour. 

It is by far the best concert I've ever been too, although it might have helped that I was in the front row, very middle.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 03:37:50 AM »
Saw Jethro Tull in Boston last week, was an awesome show. I've been a fan ever since I stole...errr borrowed my dad's "Songs from the Wood" album.  8)

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 05:54:17 AM »
A few weeks ago I went and saw Phantom Planet, Motion City Soundtrack, The Hush Sound, and Panic At The Disco, on the Honda Civic Tour. 

It is by far the best concert I've ever been too, although it might have helped that I was in the front row, very middle.

I saw this concert when it was in Detroit.  Despite the fact that I am disgusted by Panic! at the Disco, and disliked the other bands, it was a decent show.  Well put together--they must have had a large stage budget.  I guess that's what you get when you sell out to a major motor vehicle company.  My major complaints (other than the fact that I don't like the music) would be the monsoon of advertisements in the show, and being surrounded by Panic! at the Disco fans.  They were decent showmen, though, and while they didn't do anything too flashy, they interacted with the crowd well.

Queens of the Stone Age are by far one of the best shows I've seen.  They have good crowd interaction, they have good showmanship, and the crowd tends to get really into the music.  If they come by you, I would recommended them.

Also, We Are Scientists are a good show--they can be very flashy, and will waltz right through the crowd if they feel up to it.  When they play live, it sounds perfect--no mistakes, straight from the album.  Some people like live music to have differences from the album, if so, then this isn't the band for you to see.  The first time I saw them, I didn't know a single song and I had a blast--that tells you how good they are to see.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 04:33:29 PM »
Thus far I have managed Incubus (twice), Our Lady Peace, Hoobastank, No Doubt, Depeche Mode (twice), Stabbing Westward, and Creed.  They were all good.  But the main event types I saw were:

U2 - They were amazing live.  Won the $135 tickets off the radio.
311 - So freaking good.  The last vestiges of Bob Marley and the Wailers opened.  So good.

and

Jamiroquai - House of Blues in Vegas.  The best show ever.  Played updated arrangements of their old songs, and killer versions of their new stuff.  My wife and I are considering a trip to Europe to see them again.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 05:21:05 PM »
I'm going to go see Panic At The Disco and Dashboard Confessional in October! YAY!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 01:36:54 AM »
Saw Jethro Tull in Boston last week, was an awesome show. I've been a fan ever since I stole...errr borrowed my dad's "Songs from the Wood" album.

Jethro Tull??? Where can I get more information, and was it in a small venue, or a larger one?? Do you know if they are planning to go anywhere else, I don't know, like Washington???

Ummm, sorry to pounce. They are just a band that I have always wanted to see, but thought were not ever going to be an option. Thanks in advance for any information and for not pouncing too hard back at me...;)

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 05:06:18 AM »
Ha ha ha ha.

It wasn't a huge stadium concert, actually they were the only band that played (there was suppose to be a band that opened for them, but they had plane troubles so they couldn't make it).

Only thing I can suggest for looking to see if he's coming to a venue near you is to check his website every now and then for updated tour information. Right now all I'm seeing is European Tour Dates.

http://www.j-tull.com/tourdates/index.html

And that show rocked my socks off.  ;D

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 11:11:31 PM »
Pearl Jam all the way. Saw them at the Tweeter. . .  uhh Comcast Center a couple of moths ago and it was awesome.

Although I hear Taking Back Sunday puts on the best shows I have yet to go to one.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Silenced Parrot

• Level 3
  • You spilled my egg, I needed that egg. -Spike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 01:13:39 PM »
I saw the Foo Fighters earlier this year, when they played at Red Rocks in Colorado. Best show I've seen, lots of fun and great atmosphere.

Tonight though, I'm going to see the Raconteurs at the Moore Theater in Seattle. I'm pretty stoked about it, first time seeing Jack White, which is awesome all by itself.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (RIP)