Departments > Books

what about "adventure magazines?"

(1/4) > >>

Slant:
I used to call comic books "adventure magazines" since they were not books, nor were they comical (at least not the ones I read as a nipper).  What comics are you all reading?  Or am I the only one?  I've been following Poison Elves, Liberty Meadows, and Knights of the Dinner Table for years, amongst others.  What about the rest of you?  Do any of you like the new "Ultimate" iniverse from Marvel?  Who else was really ticked off over the lackluster Wolverine Origin story?  Does anybody out there remember The Maxx (one of my all-time favorites)?  

Mr_Pleasington:
I used to be a huge Marvel fan when I was in Jr. high/ early high school.  I stopped reading about the time of the Infinity War.  The only thing I read now-a-days are Knights of the Dinner Table.

I never read The Maxx, but I watched (and still have on tape) the entire animated series they showed on MTV.  I was a teenager when it aired, and while I found it cool at the time, it made little sense.  Maybe it would make more now if I went back and watched it.  What was the premise again? It's been too long...

Also, can someone clue me in on Wolvie's origins?  I'm dying to know.

Spriggan:
I don't read any that aren't free on the net.  Way too expensive for my taste.  the comic book industry should do what they do in asia and that's publish a weekly collection of about 10 comics on news print for about $4.  then release a nicer collection of each of the included comics.

Fellfrosch:
I've quite enjoyed Ultimate Spiderman, but ever issue of The Ultimates (the new avengers) drives me further and further into a maelstrom of outrage. I have yet to read the Ultimate X-Men, but I do plan to get to it soon.

Kid_Kilowatt:
I don't buy comics anymore, but I have a brother that buys almost everything worth reading, so I borrow whole series to read from him based on his recommendation.  I recently read the whole run of an indie called Box Office Poison, which was pretty good.  

I just finished reading Kurt Busiek's run of Avengers this morning, and I was more than a little disappointed.  His work on Astro City is better than anything done with superheroes in the last decade, but his Avengers storylines were a mess - too many villians and too many uninspired new characters (Silverclaw, Triathlon, Pagan).  Next up: Transmetropolitan!  I've been wanting to read this for ages and now I've got the whole thing. I was thinking of delving into the Ultimates series again, but Busiek's Avengers was so bad that I'm thinking of reinstating my "no Marvel" policy.

I can't wait till I have enough disposible income to catch up on all the stuff I need in trade paperback form: Lone Wolf and Cub, Bone, Invisibles, Astro City, the last four Cerebus phonebooks, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version