Author Topic: A Question...  (Read 5695 times)

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
A Question...
« on: June 12, 2003, 04:10:41 PM »
Actually two:

1. So what is "Evil Storytime"?

and

2. when can we have it(!)?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: A Question...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 05:29:46 PM »
Evil storytime was EUOL's and Fells Idea of haveing Book reviews/discusions.  Never paned out.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 06:09:16 PM »
The primary reasons it didn't work in case you're interested, are these:

1) the first book we read was really, really stupid. I could barely bring myself to pick it up, let alone read it.
2) EUOL and I read at very different speeds. It wasn't very practical to do it the way we had planned to.

That said, it's still an option we'd like to keep open, assuming we can find a good book and the time/desire to read it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 07:17:53 PM »
I'm sure one of the warped minds around here could come up with something more interesting that might work...I mean, "Evil Storytime."  It just oozes potential.

Maybe it could be a thread where anyone who wants to writes a one or two paragraph story (like those ones on the old AORP board) but the ending has to be eeeevil.  Or whatever...I was just curious.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2003, 08:05:49 PM »
We could run a Call of Cthulhu, Little Fears or hell/dark orientated Nobilis game and call it "Evil Storytime". A Mage or Changling game that focuses on the Entropic (My kind of people ;) ) enemies found in those games would work as well.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 08:06:57 PM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2003, 04:25:52 AM »
I still wish we could do Evil Storytime.  I thought it was a good idea.  Unfortunately, Fell is a very, very busy little boy.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2003, 09:33:22 AM »
We could do it with short stories, and have the discussion on the msg board.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2003, 01:24:31 PM »
Oooh, count me in. I need a reason to read good lit (or bad, whatever) again. Something about working 40 hours a week instead of going to school zones me into video games and TV instead of reading. Mostly because I'm not getting graded on it, I guess.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2003, 03:02:58 PM »
The concept was not to read evil stories, but to read them in an evil manner (because it was EUOL and I overseeing the reading). If we start it up again, I think short stories could be good...except that I'm not very interested in them. It would be much easier to organize, but much more boring for me.

If we want to structure Evil Storytime the way that your lives should already be structured (i.e., around me), then we could start by reading Bernard Cornwell's Arthur trilogy. That's what I'm reading anyway, and it's very good, and has a very quirky take on the legend, and a forum discussion could be very interesting.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2003, 04:13:37 PM »
As i sit at my parents computer, the entire cornwell arthur trilogy sits 2 feet behind and 1 to the left of me. So you could count me in.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2003, 11:43:41 PM »
Ok, I'm in. I'll see if the library finds a copy. When do we have book 1 read by?

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2003, 02:53:51 PM »
I borrowed the trilogy from someone who's moving to Arizona at the end of the summer, so I wanted to finish it by then, but I'm starting to doubt that I can. Let me go home and look at the book and I'll post a tentative schedule tonight.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2003, 04:49:01 PM »
Count me in as well. I'll have some downtime next week since I'll be in CA with nothing else to do but stress out about wedding plans. The distraction will be good. And hopefully I can get far enough ahead so as not to be behind when I get back.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2003, 04:49:34 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2003, 05:51:26 PM »
For any who might be wondering the Warlord Chronicles (Cornwell's Arthur trilogy) titles are as follows:

1: The Winter King
2: Enemy of God
3: Excalibur
« Last Edit: June 16, 2003, 05:52:29 PM by Treyva »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2003, 06:27:44 PM »
Each book is a little under 500 pages (at least in the edition I have) and it looks like each one has 5 sub-books in it. What would you say if we read one sub-book per week?