Author Topic: Harry Potter 5 *Spoilers*  (Read 5823 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Potter 5 *Spoilers*
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2003, 11:51:46 AM »
The chick from the French school hooked-up with one of Ron's older brothers.

I think Ginny has moved beyond Harry Potter.

I can see Luna and Harry. In fact it seems like Rawlings is setting these two up. I couldn't really see why Luna was there except to start a relationship with Harry. I can see Rawlings pulling an "Ugly Duckling" type story with Luna.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2003, 09:45:38 PM »
Sorry, I just don't see it with Luna
And as for Ginny, what 14 year old do you know who's moved beyond something permanently. I can see Harry falling for her and having to win her over. Or even moer, her finally admitting that she hasn't moved on.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2003, 03:26:40 AM »
He can hook up, but I doubt there will be any wedding bells.  As for sequels, somehow I doubt that something this sucessful will be able to last without sequels.  If Rolling does move on, she'll probably come back later.  If she doesn't, by some miracle, then her estate will do so before the copyright lapses.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2003, 03:57:50 AM »
I agree that there are going to be no wedding bells in the sequels for Harry Potter. In the world of Young Adult lit, things usually have to mantain a certain amount of political correntness and last time a checked getting engaged or married right out of high school isn't all that PC.

As for Harry hooking up with Ginny. I just thought that Rowling (note corrent spelling finally) made is clear that Ginny had a crush, and now the crush is gone. That does happen all the time with that age group.

As for a 14 year old girl moving beyond something permanently, from my experience in Junior High schools, it seems to happen about every thirty-minutes or so.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2003, 02:54:41 AM »
Well, after waiting to read it unti after my Boards were done (which mirrored the O.W.L.s in a frightening way) I finally read the book.

I really, really enjoyed it. It certainly had some weak parts, but as mentioned, its just compelling. I couldn't put it down.

I really liked how much depth was added to a lot of the supporting cast. And Dumbledore rocked.  I cheered aloud when I read his speech to the group when Fudge was arrested.

One loose end I would have liked to have seen tied up:  Percy.  When the very foundation of what he believed was right was rocked, what did he do?  As much attention as he got I would have thought there would be at least a mention of him at the end of the book.  Guess we'll have to wait until the next one.

I'm with Fell though, Snape is my favorite character...probably because he is one of the most three dimensional of all the cast.

As for Tonks and Harry...I think the age difference is a little much.  Add on the few years before Harry graduates plus the three extra to become an Auror plus the fact that it was mentioned that the MoM hasn't taken on a new Auror is several years and it adds up to Tonks being in her mid twenties, at least.

I think I would like to see Harry and Luna get together as she has proven to be strange...but interesting.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2003, 12:56:40 PM »
Hey, I just like Tonks.

Anyway, I don't think Percy actually "Believes" in anything. I think he just wants to follow the established authority in the hopes of gaining some himself. He's the ultimate pencil pushing bureaucrat, and that's all he cares about: rules and administration.