Author Topic: Novel in a month  (Read 35405 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Novel in a month
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2003, 07:55:17 AM »
Well I know what I'm going to do. I'm going to take my Huguenot d20 Modern campaign and turn it into a novel. Since I know I'll never start it again it'll feel good to actually find out what happens and how it ends. MMMmm, it feels good.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2003, 11:36:23 AM »
I posted this on the other thread, but I'll post here too:

Count me in.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2003, 02:12:37 PM »
I'm taking Entropy's tack on this, and writing what I consider to be a rough draft of a real book. In my case, it's the fantasy about worthless gods that I've been meaning to write for ages and haven't got around to. In the spirit of the community, I'll give you a brief rundown of the idea:

Remember how in the old greek myths the Titans ruled the world, and then their children (the ones we typically think of as the gods) overthrew them and took over? Well, imagine that carried to an extreme: each generation of gods and demi-gods overthrows the preceding generation, until eventually the world is ruled by the God of Berries and his pantheon of pathetic nobodies. The story takes place during the beginnings of the next revolution, mixed with some intrigue regarding a group of humans that want to wake up the older gods and restore them to power. The hero is a atheist barbarian who, like Sir Carl, just wants to be a bard (unlike Sir Carl, however, he's not prissy and his lute actually IS magic).

So, who else wants to present their idea?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2003, 05:47:46 PM »
I had an idea similar to "useless gods" but I was going to use it different: a fallen Bhodisvatta and his temptress, and a "god of the toilet" look for redemption. I think I can do it well, so I think i'm not using it.
Mostly I was thinking of resurrecting my idea for the professional adventurers, seems like a good idea to throw away on something like this. But uh... I dunno. I kinda want something from scratch. So still thinking. Unless there are comments here.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2003, 06:12:41 PM »
/me laughs

Yes, Fell, you're probably right. The reason I can't pump out 6.5 pages in an hour is because I feel the need to actually like what I write. So I guess this is me signing myself up for potential ridicule by my colleges. Count me in. And a request that you all help me keep to pure crap.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2003, 06:56:06 PM »
Don't worry MoD, I've got that covered.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2003, 07:42:42 PM »
/me laughs

Thanks Gemm.

My idea is the story of my favorite rp character. Which means, by definition that it will be crap. ;) I think it would be nice to have her story written though.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2003, 07:56:44 PM »
I am officially beginning to panic, since i have all of 2 days to work out what i am goign to write. Since i am working from 8:45am to 8:30 pm tomorrow i will likely think up a lot of ideas then, but i will have forgotten them by the end i am afraid.

Incidentially, going to this site will get you the Everchanging Book of Names, which is an awesome name generator. Better than wasting precious time trying to think up a decent name.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2003, 07:58:44 PM »
We are reveling in crap. But we are not, as SE suggests, limited to crap. I really think that, for me anyway, the novel I write in one month is not doomed to eternal crapness. Once it's all out there on the page, the hard part's over and you turn it into a good novel via rewrites and edits. (As one who has finished two novels, I feel that I know whereof I speak.)
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2003, 08:02:54 PM »
I agree with fell, which is nice. Not often i do that.

It is not like anybody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to stop writing after november 30th.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2003, 10:53:02 PM »
yeah, I really did emphasize the crap. But my point is that you have to accept the crap.

Here's my thing:
-50k words in 30 days: it's going to get silly, just because I can't spare the time to avoid silly passages when I get into that.
-revisions are more diffcult than writing. In fact I often re-write from scratch just to avoid it.
-therefore I need something that's at least CLOSE to what I want.

So if I want a serious story for an idea I came up with, I better not use it for this.
I dunno, I still feel like I'm low on ideas. I'm going to dig through the previous idea file.

again.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2003, 11:48:02 PM »
I suppose that's the difference--I find revisions to be much easier than writing. That's why getting it all out and taking a look at it will be so beneficial; even if it absolutely sucks, you'll at least gain some ideas of how to do it next time.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2003, 11:52:40 PM »
in the last hour or so I've become convinced
I'm going to be writing my Knights novel
but since that's going to end up more than 50k, don't be surprised if it ends with "suddenly, everything blew up."

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2003, 12:56:54 AM »
Exploding knights!  Rock on!
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2003, 01:03:50 AM »
Hum.  So much to say...

First, uh, I've actually got a novel due to TOR by February, so I'm gonna have to bow out of this one.  I really can't afford to take a one-month detour.  I might do 50k on my current project, but then again, I might not.  I have some serious revising to do in the short future.

I don't mind providing some feedback, however.  That said--I also don't have time to read seven novels next month, so I'm not promising anything.  

Third, how about we have ol' EUOL spout off some creative writing theory for you all?  If you're not in a mood to be lectured--or if you've heard me speak on the difference between one-drafters and multi-drafters--you might want to skip to the next post...

Writers come in two major categories.  I think I've mentioned this on the board before.  Some of us are what are called 'one drafters.'  One drafters tend to spend a long time working on a project before actually writing it.  When they do write, however, they do very little revision, and the draft generally turns out close to the way they wanted it.  

The opposite of this are the "multi-drafters."  Multi-drafters tend to start with a blank slate, then work out what they want to say as they write.  Their work generally turns out very rough, far from the way they imagined it, and requires serious editing.

These are, of course, extremes.  Yet, many people fall squarely into one group or another.  Understanding what type of writer you are can help you immensely.  In this particular project, the multi-drafters are going to have trouble not going back to their old material and revising it.  The one-drafters are going to have trouble getting anywhere at all, since it makes them uncomfortable to not have a framework for the story.

However, this kind of rushed free-write can be useful for either group.  You multi-drafters are great at free-writing, and the material you produce will be rough, but could be reworked to become something better.  The one-drafters will find that the story they write builds a framework for them, and actually does so quickly.

I guess the point of this is directed at you, SE.  There is no such thing as a 'wasted' novel.  I suggest picking your BEST idea for this, not your worst.  The more work you put into your best idea, the better it will become.  If you are a one-drafter, the project will help solidify what you want to do.  You'll have to throw the actual writing away and start again, but what you create the second time through will be better.  If you're a multi-drafter, you will end up with potential chapters and sections that you can incorporate as you continue to work through the story.

The long and short of it is, folks, that any writing at all is going to helpful to your careers.  Don't look at this as throw-away.  It might have more relevance than you think.

And Fell, you are hereby re-encouraged to join my Salt Lake writing group.  Morag's wife will make you cookies if you do.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 01:04:46 AM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch