Author Topic: Novel in a month  (Read 35928 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Re: Novel in a month
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2003, 05:30:01 PM »
I would post an idea, but I'm still not certain.  I'm in the middle of a project, but I've have been trouble with it, so this will be a good break.

I've been thinking, surprisingly, about Atlantis.  I'm not sure what the plot would be, but I've been reading a lot about it and noticing the distinct similarity between the Atlantis story and the Nephites/Jaredites (a group of isolated people that prospered until they became wicked and were destroyed), leading me to wonder if there is truth to the myth.

I don't know what the heck the plot would be, but it's an idea to play around with.

On the other hand, everything I've been writing for the last two years has been LDS oriented, and maybe it would be fun to try something else for this month.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2003, 05:30:33 PM »
Just use word count then. It's almost easier anyway.

I'll try to get hold of a friend about that upload thing.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2003, 06:00:29 PM »
My story is going to start with a sentence about tuna fish.  I can't actually put it down here because it would spoil the free flow of ideas that are sure to follow (as I would have to wait for a whole day or two to write them down.)  But it's definitely about tuna fish.  That's where I'm starting.  If I commit to starting.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2003, 06:04:05 PM »
Atlantis and tuna fish, hrm... Interesting. I'm sensing a cross-over....

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2003, 07:11:29 PM »
During work i remembered a plot idea i had ages ago. It's about a human who, criton style, gets stranded on an alien world. Only this time, the aliens communicate through telepathy and regard anything that doesn't as an animal. Since they don't use sounds to communicate, any sounds = grunts to them. So English is just grunting as far as they are concerned.

And that's it really. Add in hot chicks, wierd aliens and stars that zoom in until they become suns when you look at them (not sure why, but it would look cool in a game).
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2003, 07:45:00 PM »
My goal is to write 2,500 words per day which would allow me to be finished in 20 days. I am doing this because my inlaws will be in the MTC in November, and I need to plan to have time to spend with them and for Thanksgiving.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2003, 07:47:29 PM »
How would you feel about a status board?

Basically:
Name: MoD                  Current Word Count: 100       Last Updated: 1 Nov

Competition helps me. The other option is to just use the NaNoWriMo board, however, I'd also like to see our TWG group progress.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 07:49:40 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2003, 08:02:42 PM »
I could keep a status update. But It'd be passive. You send me an email with your new numbers each night/morning, I update you.

I'm not having luck on the file sharing bit. The best way I can think of is for tage to set up a public ftp folder on twg.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2003, 08:43:58 PM »
I don't know if we need to have them constantly updated. Not like anybody is going to constantly check them to see what new progress - large chunks of free time will = writing.

I'm contemplating putting up an article now to say what we are doing, and then, at the end, say who finished and what their stories were like. Have the stories become mega-huge hidden articles that are linked to in the second article.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2003, 08:47:22 PM »
Entropy- that sounds like a good idea;  as long as I can edit it a bit before its posted for the world to read.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2003, 09:01:12 PM »
I like the idea of keeping track of stats, actually. I just don't want to work very hard on it.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2003, 09:43:37 PM »
First article written and submitted.

Fellfrosch

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2003, 12:42:35 AM »
I would look at it. And it would be a nice kudo for me to be able to tell someone when I made my goal. Even if it is only Saint, and he doesn't care. ;)

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2003, 01:16:50 AM »
Yeah, I'd look at it too.  A nice way to derive strength from numbers.  (You know, if a bunch of others loons besides myself are doing it then it's easier to keep going.)

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2003, 01:58:25 AM »
I need help with characterization. Can anyone who is interested please give me their idea of what a lych is? I'm mostly looking for ways that it is gross, but that's rather girly of me and I will accept all discriptions.