Author Topic: Novel in a month  (Read 35290 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Novel in a month
« Reply #405 on: November 30, 2003, 02:07:34 AM »
The book is finished, and my final count is 52,819. For those keeping track at home that's 104 pages (single spaced), 1839 paragraphs, 4426 lines, and 239,738 characters, of which 50,942 are spaces.

I'm rather pleased with the way it turned out, and the ending, though weird, is still one of the my strongest endings ever--I'm notoriously bad about endings. I'm anxious to do some workshopping and writing grouping on this, so if anyone's interested let me know. The title, by the way, is Krag the Unbeliever. Though I'm not sure I like that--I'm also notoriously bad about titles.

And SE, I'm amazed that you did 9300 words in one day--congratulations. If you're less than 3000 away from finishing, just go ahead and do it tomorrow. I would.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 02:07:58 AM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #406 on: November 30, 2003, 03:07:09 PM »
I had an aha! moment
THe reason I don't write on Sunday is because I hope to do it professionally, possibly with THIS volume, which puts it too much into the Sabbath violation. But it was deeply disappointing to me that I wasn't going to finish.

So how did I reconcile that?

I read about Fell's strong ending. There's no way mine is ending in 50k words, which is why I originally planned an "suddenly, everything blew up" ending so it would LOOK complete, even if the ending did need to be expanded by 70k words or more.

So then it hit me. Things could start blowing up RIGHT NOW! The last 3k words i need could just be silly stuff. this gives me the leeway to finish the 50k, and even END it. but it also will be stuff I'll never use, so it's not working on the "to be published" set of material, so I don't feel bad about the Sabbath day (it's not work, it's relaxation.

So over the last 1000 works, poor Peks has transformed into a dragon. Over the next 2k, he will be slain, maybe. Maybe saved. who knows. It's an ending, it actually fits in better than I'd planned, but it's not my book. I get the self confidence AND the obedience. Yay!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #407 on: November 30, 2003, 03:42:53 PM »
You do realize that if this ending ever gets published, maybe in an annotated edition or something long after you're a famous author, you're going straight to hell?

Anyway, congrats. And don't forget to get on the official site and have your manuscript validated--it takes about five seconds.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #408 on: November 30, 2003, 04:16:26 PM »
Oh, there are a hundred things i'll go to hell for before that. Not the least of which is for a shopping trip, to the hell gift shop

anyway, only 1643 left by Words count. was the official site's count higher or lower than Word's for you?

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #409 on: November 30, 2003, 05:26:33 PM »
I don't think you have anything to worry about, SE.  Remember spirit of the law, not letter.  (All you others can sit back and laugh at us silly Mormons for a moment while we quibble over theology.)

A famous concert pianist should not be encouraged to not play a piece in church simply because playing the piano is his 'profession.'  I don't write on Sunday because writing dominates my life--I feel that if I were allow myself to write, I would let that writing keep me from doing the things I should be doing.  I know myself, and I'm always looking for an excuse to write.  By sectioning off one day as a day I have to focus on other things, I keep balance in my life.

Theologically, I don't think there is anything wrong with writing on Sunday--assuming you've done what you're supposed to do.  Besides, keeping yourself from working on something you 'might' oneday sell is far different than working on something you've already sold.

By the way, I'm officially over 50k too.  Congrats, Fell!  So, you're going to start coming to my writing group, right?
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #410 on: November 30, 2003, 05:29:48 PM »

I know, I still feel like I do though. Writing for money, is a no no for me on sundays. The 3k I spun out today however, is utter crap. Really. I even put in a hard page break so you could see where I was no longer trying
when I continue work in a week or so, those 3k are being deleted immediately.

But I win! Yay!

Everyone give me final word counts, I'll update the calendar a little later today. going to dinner soon though.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #411 on: November 30, 2003, 09:36:44 PM »
ok, wel, i've got all the posts I can. HoM wont' give me final numbers, so he's not on the last week, and other than that I think ti was just EUOL, Fell, and me giving any sort fo report. How did the rest of you do?

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #412 on: November 30, 2003, 10:55:27 PM »
I will up speak on the downed speak that I haven't spoken in of late. I knew I was going to get no where with this this month, and for reasons I see fit. But any chance I had I would write down in my little notebook of DOOM. So by the by and by, I got somewhere, and thats all the wares I wanted to get to. And if you've a problem with that take it up with my legal council/voice #246. And congrats to you that finished.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 30, 2003, 11:25:03 PM »
Alas alas alas, I did not make it.  I got sick mid-month, and then family arrived on the 23rd and left this morning.  I should have known, but oh well.  I ended with about 100 words shy of 30K, which is 6x longer than anything I have ever written before.  I'm going to finish it, because it's turning out to be a nice study for something I want to take seriously later on.

I'm also interested in reading other people's stuff and commenting if they so desire.  And eventually (if anyone should care to) have others read what I did.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #414 on: December 01, 2003, 10:01:39 AM »
so...
when we doing it again?

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #415 on: December 01, 2003, 11:04:59 AM »
Give it about 365 days or so SE.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #416 on: December 01, 2003, 12:07:16 PM »
Failure!  Miserable, miserable failure!

46,543.  If it wasn't for my stupid family party last night, I might have done it.  Curses!
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #417 on: December 01, 2003, 01:19:45 PM »
If it wasn't for your stupid turkey, the party last night would have been over in time.

(Actually, the turkey was excellent--just 3 hours late.)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #418 on: December 01, 2003, 01:35:48 PM »
Pardon me Fell, there was a typo in the previous post:

I said "my stupid family party."

I meant: "my stupid family's party."  Specifically you.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 01, 2003, 01:37:43 PM »
I flaked, I'm ashamed to admit. But I got really discouraged and stopped trying as it became more and more obvious that I would have to do 4k words everyday (including Saturdays) in order to make the goal. I also got sick of my story which teaches me two things. 1: That despite being a multi-drafter I still need an outline before I start, and 2: That I need to pick stories that are not tangled up in some sort of emotional spat I happen to be in the middle of. I'm starting a completely new novel, with an original idea (albeit an old idea of mine), and one that I am more likely to stay interested in.

EUOL, Morag mentioned that you might have some room in your writing group for another person?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy