Author Topic: Help with Literary References?  (Read 1586 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Help with Literary References?
« on: November 28, 2003, 09:28:39 PM »
Has anyone studied 'Tale of Two Cities' recently and can confirm something for me.
In another book, (a completely unrelated one) I have marked a sentence where someone is talking to a woman but the woman "looked down at her knitting and said nothing."

For some reason I could swear there's something important in Tale of Two Cities that is similar to that (spies and such?) but it's been 5 yrs since I read it and I don't remember, and dont have a copy of the book.
Help?
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Literary References?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 07:51:58 PM »
Yeah, it's been a while since I've read it, but you're right.  I don't have a copy of the book with me either, but can get it when I get home.

The woman knitting in Tale of Two Cities is the bad guy (actually bad gal, I guess) who is out to get everyone.  Turn them in and have them killed for the revolution and all that.  And she's always knitting, and her knitting has something to do with it all.  Madame Defarge is the name that comes to mind right now, but I'm probably wrong.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 08:39:18 PM »
Yes! Madame Defarge!

A few years ago I could have expounded on the symbolism of her knitting, but it's completely left my head.  This disturbs me because I know that someday all these HOURS AND HOURS of literature classes I have to take will mean nothing.

*sob*
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2003, 08:41:49 PM »
Do not despair!  Literature classes are just highly refined versions of timewasting.  You should be commended on your excellent taste and style.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2003, 08:58:05 PM »
hear! hear!