Author Topic: EUOL, D.H. Lawrence, and women  (Read 8021 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: EUOL, D.H. Lawrence, and women
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2003, 10:08:06 PM »
*blush* I never know how to respond to that. When I'm thinking about myself, I have a very high opinion of my capabilities, but when I share it, I never feel so confident. That's why I hang around, EOUL is a great ego-booster.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 10:10:00 PM by SaintEhlers »

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2003, 11:31:30 PM »
The first book is called ELATNRIS

I think you mean Elantris, right? Want to make sure that title's spelled correctly when searching for it in '05!  ;)

The other one to keep an eye on is Stacer, who is a professional editor.  She's not in SF/F right now (children's books, right Stacer?) but again, she's got some knowledge of the business and some connections.

The ideal would be children's SF/F (middle grade and YA). I'm working at Houghton Mifflin right now in the School division (meaning elementary textbooks) but am working on getting into the trade division.... any trade division. I've actually been considering the possibility of just popping down to New York in the next few months and seeing what's available. I'm taking next semester off and re-evaluating my prospects, employment-wise. You know, considering the cost-benefit of finishing my program vs. just going to NY and getting a job. NY isn't that much more expensive than Boston, really.

Any thoughts either direction? I do only have 4 classes left to finish my master's, but it'll either be two horrendous semesters financially (like this one previous) because my school doesn't provide enough aid to live on, so I end up working full time while going to school full time (can't afford to pay for one class myself, and can't get financial aid for just one class  >:(), or I'll be working full time for the next year hoping I can find a well paying enough job that will allow me to save up and go back to school again....

It just seems to me that just going to get a job, working my way up, sounds pretty good right now. Yet maybe that's just the fatalist in me, and maybe it won't look so good to have a half-finished master's on my resume.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 11:31:59 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2003, 07:39:58 AM »
I personally would feel better about myself if I finished the degree. Yeah, it's really hard work, but you're almost there.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2003, 02:32:54 PM »
I've heard it's ten times harder to go back, but I haven't had the chance to try myself yet.

NY sounds like a great idea, but maybe you could transfer. How much time do you have left? If it's just a semester or two then you should definately finish and let NY sit on the back burner for now. I don't think you really need to worry about having a Masters and being over qualified for the positions you have experience for because you've got lots of experience.

My advice is to pray.  :o Am I allowed to say that??
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2003, 02:41:09 PM »
I don't see why you can't say it. You did after all, give some input so she has some things to consider while praying.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2003, 02:44:17 PM »
EOUL is a great ego-booster.

That goes for you too Saint.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2003, 02:49:00 PM »
I'm not saying that you should leave school (in fact, I think you shouldn't) but I know you work harder than some certain editors I know of (not mine, thankfully.)  I think you'll make it in NY if you go and give it a firm effort.  You've got experience and connections.

If the point of getting a Masters is to get a job, and you managed to find a job anyway, then the Masters becomes something to do for fun rather than necessity.  This is what it's become in my life, actually.  

So, I'd say don't let the Masters rule your life--realize that it's there to enhance it.  Don't move to NY, but don't let job opportunities pass by either.  You can probably finish the Masters through transferring or independent study.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2003, 09:18:32 PM »
An excert from Neil Gaiman's Smoke and Mirrors book.

Bay Wolf

"And there was that man Steve Jones again. "I want you to write one of your story poems for me. It needs to be a detective story, set in the near future. Maybe you could use the Larry Talbot character from 'Only the End of the World Again.'"

It happened that I had just finished co-writing a screen adaptation of Beowulf, the old English narrative poem, and was mildly surprised by the number of people who, mishearing me, seemed to think I had just written an episode of "Baywatch." So I began retelling Beowulf as a futuristic episode of "Baywatch" for an anthology of detective stories. It seemed to be the only sensible thing to do.

Look, I don't give you grief over where you get your ideas from."

32 pages of introductions. Each page foretelling a bit of how Gaiman begat the idea for the story. Later on the actual telling of stories begins, but I've not gotten there yet. Good introduction though.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo