Author Topic: EUOL, D.H. Lawrence, and women  (Read 8033 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: EUOL, D.H. Lawrence, and women
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2003, 09:48:06 PM »
and this is where we see the practical demonstration of how useful the Paranoia skill "Spurious Logic" can be.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2003, 10:00:47 PM »
So... men cause less pollution?

Eric- excellent point. Really must play that game some day.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2003, 12:56:53 AM »
You probably didn't enjoy it more because you don't like movies that involve mental illness, stacer.

I never thought of it that way, but you're probably right. Then again, it could just be that Jack Nicholson is obnoxious.

Fuzzy, what did your last sig say? Which reminds me, I need to change mine.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2003, 02:12:28 AM »
My last sig said,  "Women are only irrational because men are so mind-numbingly stupid."
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2003, 04:50:49 AM »
So what's this novel you are writing anyway?  Is it a fantasy novel, or drama or whatever else you wouldn't mind saying.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2003, 07:42:13 AM »
depends on who you're asking. Many of us are writing novels right now.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2003, 10:26:04 AM »
Oh, anyone who is writing a novel here I would want to know about actually.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2003, 10:44:00 AM »
well, the one I'm working on most seriously is the one we're talking about in the Writers Group thread. Working title is "Pek's Tale" but it'll be something else. I just have to finish at least outlining the second half before I get to that point.
Heh, it sounds cheesy to break it down to the simplest form, but it's about a boy who grows up to be a knight. (the complication being that he was born as a peasant, and this isn't something he's dreamed about). The second half is about his career as a knight.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2003, 11:03:35 AM »
Sounds pretty cool, but of course I'm also really into knights.  I can see a noble who has to be a knight and doesn't want to, but a peasant who becomes one and didn't really want to that sounds pretty interesting.

Like any good-blooded fan of fantasy, I'm also working on a novel.  Mine is about a kagen dragonslayer (kagen = mother was human, father was dragon).  Its called 33 Fortunes, and for them fortune means that one line moral at the end of fables like "don't put all your eggs in one basket" or "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".  Its actually part of a backstory for another character I made (the one my avatar is about, Eagle Prince).

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2003, 11:05:26 AM »
Oh yeah and the other day I noticed a thread about someone selling their novel, so I wouldn't mind knowing the name of it so I can go buy it when it comes out.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2003, 11:10:25 AM »
ah, that would be EUOL, who actually sold two manuscripts. He's doing a good job of keeping us notified about progress toward actual printing on those. He's a good writer, so you won't go wrong picking up a copy when it hits shelves.

As for your story, sounds like it has a lot of potential to be cool. If you want feedback, we could probably work you into the writers group. we'll have to see how many people are showing up for the chats regularly when all this holiday mess is over, but I think it wouldn't be a problem to add you.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 11:12:33 AM by SaintEhlers »

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2003, 11:26:37 AM »
That would be cool.  I could actually finish it pretty quickly if I put all my attention on it, which would probably work better for me to have it done and then I could focus on rewriting stuff people didn't like.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2003, 07:59:29 PM »
The first book is called ELATNRIS, and will be out in May of 2005 in the US.  The second is called THE WAY OF KINGS, and is projected to be out May of 2006.  They'll both come out from Tor Books, and will be released under my real name, Brandon Sanderson.  There's a 'Publication News' thread in the 'Everything Else' section where I've been posting events as they turn up.

House_of_Mustard is the other published writer on the forum.  His first book comes out here pretty soon, but is being published by a local specialty press, so you probably won't be able to find it anywhere outside of Utah.  It's not fantasy, but hey--publication is publication, right?

The other one to keep an eye on is Stacer, who is a professional editor.  She's not in SF/F right now (children's books, right Stacer?) but again, she's got some knowledge of the business and some connections.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2003, 08:31:48 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I've been wondering about that ever since I started posting here.  And I do live in Utah county, so hopefully I will be able to find House of Mustard's book when it comes out too.  That's actually awesome its getting published by Tor.  Daw and Del Rey are both good as well, but I think overall Tor is better.  I'll cross my fingers that it makes Robert Jordan look bad, cause it would be a double bonus for you to get real popular and RJ to go down.  heh heh.  ;D

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2003, 09:29:37 PM »
Heh.  Yeah, that would be nice.  I think I've got a while before I threaten Mr. Jordan, though....

I probably should have mentioned Fellfroshe and Saint Ehlers in my post above.  Neither are published yet, but both have substantial pagecounts to their names, and I've been in writing groups with both.  I can safely say they're two of the better writers I've known.  There's a lot of talent here on our humble little message board.

EDIT
By the way, you're in Utah?  You really need to go post on the 'introduce yourself' thread so we can find out who you are.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 09:36:27 PM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch