• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Elric
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2003, 08:03:33 PM »
I have been so mislabeled.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2003, 08:05:19 PM »
/me pats 42's shoulder consolingly

"sure you have. We all have."

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2003, 11:43:17 PM »

I don't disagree with you using Dune as an example, you just need a healthy amount of contemporary fiction mixed in or your students will simply start doing what has been done before.

You probably have a point there.  For a time, I was considering using stories from the scifiction 'classics' section, but I think I'll go for more contemporary works.

Not mixing in contemporaries is why BYU has so darn many abstract expressionist and minimalist shows. Both of which have been dead for over twenty years and show no signs of returning in the younger generation.

To be honest, however, BYU is a conservative school.  In addition, literature study is generally a conservative field.  My picking a 60's book to study would actually be thought of as doing something very recent in the lit field.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2003, 12:12:06 AM »
Okay, on this same note, I just discovered that the Extended Two Towers DVD includes a pretty detailed discussion of some of Tolkien's narrative foibles. There's far more than just the women thing, and the DVD treats the subject pretty well. I think some of their complaints are answerable by other explanations, but for the most part they've got it down pretty well. I especially liked their analysis of Faramir.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2003, 12:16:55 AM »
yeah, that's the part i keep trying to get my wife to watch. I think it'd do her a lot of good

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2003, 01:50:38 AM »
Hum.  I guess I'll have to watch it.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2003, 10:25:20 AM »
Elric is not out of print, in fact it is perhaps collected in the greatest coherent collection it has ever known. White Wolf games bought the rights to publish the moorcock novels and has released them as huge bound novels in the Eternal champion series. They weave the storyies between Elric Erkhoe, Vonbeck, Hawkmoon and many other characters of Moorcocks imagination..Its very neat.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2003, 11:59:17 AM »
That was the exact collection I was trying to get.  They came out durring like 97-99 I believe, but they are already out of print.  I bought Elric: Song of the Black Sword off of amazon, and at the time it was already out of print but there was still a few copies they had apparently.  I was dumb and didn't get the second volume Elric: The Stealer of Souls thinking I should read the first one and see if I actually liked them.  At the time I'd never read an Elric novel, I knew who he was and the whole story from spoilers, but hadn't actually read them mostly because it had been out of print so long that it was impossible to get a copy.  I also got the Corum series, but I tried to get the whole Eternal Champion series and couldn't.  I so hate out of print books.

The last time I really went on a hunt to get Eternal Champion books was this summer, but if this is White Wolf re-releasing them again please point out where I can find out more so I don't make a fool of myself again.  While we are on the subject though, if anyone knows were to find the old Robert E Howard Conan stories or Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer series (written by James Silke) I beg to point that out as well.  I've even tried to buy them used.  I went so far as to bid on Ebay for a lot of them, but they always go for like 50$ which is more than I can afford (duh).  If it comes down to it, I'd probably spend it for a good condition copy of Stealer of Souls, but thats something like 6 Elric novels in one volume so I would feel a lot less ripped off.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2003, 12:12:15 PM »
Well, you could click this link, then the "new and used" link, but since it's approaching $80, and you said $50 was too much, I think you're screwed.

There's also alibris.com, but their cheapest isn't any better.

There's also this link which points to all his others, but it doesn't imply any better savings.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 12:18:16 PM by SaintEhlers »

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2003, 12:35:10 PM »
Hmmm... I'm actually supposed to get my paycheck tomarrow.  Probably end up getting it late though cause of the new year.  I think I'll just set aside some money and then keep bidding on all the Steal of Souls that pop up.  You'd think eventually you'll end up getting one that only goes for 30$ or so.  You see, if I was going to spend 80$ on a book, I'd rather get a leatherbound copy of Lord of the Rings or the complete works of so-and-so like Dickens.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2004, 06:43:09 PM »
I wasn't aware that there were two new Elric novels.  

I have a question: are his other series (Hawkmoon, Vonbeck, etc.) as dark and doomed in tone as the Elric stuff?

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2004, 07:10:17 PM »
Yes and no, depends on the character.  One of Elric's main, ah, sidekick I suppose, he is very un-Elric.  As in he is really upbeat and positive, and more of a jokester.  You should also know (if you don't already) that all the characters from the other novels are in fact Elric.  Being the Eternal Champion means he is reborn over and over.  Like Corum for example, he's exactly like Elric except that Elric was raised in an evil culture so he's more devious because of it.

The two new books are about Ulric Von Bek.  Elric had two children, one was the Dreamthief's Daughter Oona, the other I can't remember but he somehow or another traveled to our world (earth) and through all of his scions you eventually reach Ulric, who is a german noble during WWII.  He hates the Nazis and goes on a quest to destroy them.  Elric is in the dream of a thousand years (he does this twice in his novels), which is a sleep that goes by really quickly, but in the dream itself Elric lives for 1000 years.  That is why his capital city was called the Dreaming City, as all of the people entered and lived in these dreams to gain experience and such without actually having the time pass.

The downside for Elric is he is much weaker, most notably his magic.  If you want something more measurable, in D&D he is stated as wizard 20/fighter 8.  Plus he has an artifact that makes him an even more powerful wizard.  Elric himself mostly uses summoning type spells, and generally they are anything from god-like elemental lords to actual gods themselves.  He can't do this very often while in the thousand year dream (btw, there are lesser versions of this, 25-year dream, 100-year dream, etc.. but however long you choose, you have to live that long, no ending the effect early).  

Another thing you should know about Elric and all of his incarnations, they can combine into a god-level avatar.  The more that combine, the more powerful they are.  Since Ulric is related by blood, he and Elric can do this.  After they do, they then know all of each others memories and such.  But one thing about Elric, he is very forgetful because of all his time dreaming, so his memories fade very fast.  Ulric suffers no such drawback and continues to remember all of Elrics memories after they seperate.  That basically sets you up for the 2 new books.  They are about adventures Elric, Ulric, and Oona take together.

Ulric also has a version of Stormbringer called Ravenbrand.  This isn't actually Stormbringer, more of a copy of it.  Like sliders, there is infinite dimensions of possible worlds, which means  many versions of Stormbringer.  However, Stormbringer itself is unique from all the others, as it was possessed by a demon while being created.  That whole story is covered in the Skrayling Tree so I won't spoil it.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2004, 07:39:34 PM »
The Von Beck are insanely dark but very well written Havent read Hawkmoon or Corum but I would assume so. The best though is the first book where the Champion takes on the appearence of Erkhose the champion. In the book he destroys mankind.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!