Author Topic: Abarat, or the best book I've read since CS LEWIS  (Read 5290 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Abarat, or the best book I've read since CS LEWIS
« on: January 10, 2004, 12:34:24 AM »
Abarat, an "other" world of thirteen islands surrounded by a wide sea, a sea that goes all the way to Wisconsin and a girl named Candy Quackenbush. Written and illustrated by Clive Barker (of Hellraiser and Nightbreed fame) Abarat is magical and creepy, whimsical and jam packed with emotion. Abarat is the kind of book that you picture every scene of as clearly as the most technicolor movie. Like C.S. Lewis's The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe the book is a marvelous voyage of discovery, the realization that there are other worlds to explore and experience when the one we are in seems to let us down in every way. Candy Quackenbush is a young girl from Chickentown USA, a Wisconsin town so dull and dreary that mostly harmless would be too verbose. But Chickentown used to be a great deal more, it was a mighty Seaport, leading to otherworlds and other times. But that way was closed for a long time. Untill Candy was called that is. And without even realizing it Candy leaves Chickentown behind and enters the thirteen islands of Day and Night. OF course there are all manner of Villians and Heroes she meets upon the way  but thats all part of the adventure.
Anyhow I bought it this aftenoon and cant put it down.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
Re: Abarat, or the best book I've read since CS LE
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2004, 12:40:14 AM »
http://www.thebooksofabarat.com/content4/xbarat99.html
heres the web site if you want to see some of the art and listen to a chapter...

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2004, 12:40:42 AM »
Hmm, sounds good;  I"ll have to look up a copy somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 12:41:04 AM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2004, 12:42:59 AM »
oh, hey it's young adult fiction too- even better.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2004, 12:47:01 AM »
That sounds like some great good stuff. I'll have to do as fuzzy will and look it up sometime.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2004, 12:52:13 AM »
I went to the website to show my husband.  "I didn't expect Clive Barker to look like that.  He's rather youngish and good-looking."

Husband: "And very very gay."

Me:  "ah.  Figures."

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2004, 12:58:55 AM »
Heh, sounds like someone who can appreciate you. Or someone I could have fun with. Hahah.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2004, 01:48:02 AM »
It was a choice title in my fantasy class last year and I didn't choose it (we picked one of three or four choice titles per week). The general consensus of my class was that it wasn't satisfying as an entire story (and I won't tell you why until you get to the end). They all said it's well-written, a fascinating story, but then they got to the end... at any rate, I'd be interested in hearing your take on it. I've been meaning to pick it up since it was on the list, because it's been talked up quite a bit among YA fantasy people. Certainly the illustrated YA novel is an interesting concept, pretty original.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2004, 09:57:28 AM »
Oh I liked the ending I just cant wait untill the next book.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2004, 10:00:28 AM »
Its not something I want disney making a movie about though and they now own the rights to it. unless their other company does it. The edgier one.
And yeah young adult sums this one up nicely, dont buy this book for your young kids yet Eric, it will scare the bejeebers out of them, (and im pretty certain bejeebers are essential for strong backbones)
10 and older will probably like it.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2004, 09:27:04 PM »
So, don't read this quote if you are easily scared.

From Clive Barker's bio on the inside flap of his book
Mr. Baker lives in California with his partner, the photographer David Armstrong, and their daughter, Nicole. They share their house with four dogs, five goldfish, a parrot, fifteen rats, innumerable wild geckoes, a cockatiel, and a parrot called Malingo.

It's too bad he couldn't have the same morals as C.S. Lewis.

So, here's my question (not meant to offend--please don't take it that way), do you encourage your children to read a book by an author whose morals you seriously disagree with?

I'm not sure myself.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2004, 09:40:03 PM »
Yes if the subject matter in the book itself is acceptable to your morals. After all many historian belive that Michalangelo was gay. Would that mean your kids should never look at David, or see the Sistine Chapel?
Picasso was a drunk and a womenizer and lets not even get started on Hemingway.  The truth is that with a few rare exceptions artists are just like you and me, fallible unsaintly people.
Obviously this is something you feel strongly about. If you think you might object... read the material first or even better read it with your kids.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2004, 09:50:12 PM »
Actually, after studying more art history than I care to admit, I would have to say that artists, in general, are more messed up than most people. Almost all of the abstract expressionist commited suicide. And psychologists have found that mental illness is more common among the artisticly inclined than other occupations.

I've also concluded that some "great works of art" are actually quite damaging to people. I ussually find that some of the artists' morals get infused into their work wether they like it or not.

And having been trained to teach elementary art, the National Association of Art Educators does not find Michealangelo's David or Sistine Chapel to be appropriate for Elementary Schools. At least not for lower elementary grades. Their reasons go beyond just that it has nudes, it has more to do with child developement.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2004, 10:00:38 PM »
And having seen both beautiful works of art in the flesh I would have to stridently disagree with those people.
I find their mere existance to be spectacular... I find them to be monuments to the limitless potential of the human imagination.
I really cant understand what part of a childs development would be damaged by witnessing such marvels.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2004, 10:08:29 PM »
Milk before meat. You're not ready for everythign the moment you're born. I don't think that a magnificent achievement automatically makes it appropriate for universal viewing.