Author Topic: Generic discussions about Literature  (Read 6773 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: Generic discussions about Literature
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2003, 01:50:35 AM »
There are very few writers I would feel safe running into in a dark alley.  Maybe EUOL, and that's only because I know him.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2003, 12:16:59 PM »
Don't worry, I don't bite. Hard.

Heheh, is he joking? Heh heh.   :)
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2003, 08:01:06 PM »
I liked Cannery Row myself.  And Frankenstein too.  Persuasion was okay (but I'm not really into Austen.)

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2003, 05:34:43 PM »
I loved Dostoevsky's Notes from the Underground when I read it in 12th grade. It was one of the few books I actually read all of the way through, except for Awakening, but that was because that one was short. I think it's main draw was that my teacher didn't seem as intent for us to take him "SERIOUSLY" which made me like him better than the author of The Invisible Man.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 05:35:23 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2003, 05:54:53 PM »
Dostoevsky over Wells?  I guess I could see that.  One of the coolest things about HG Wells is nearly all of his books have been made into movies.

Frankenstein is awesome, but believe me when I say its obvious that a woman wrote it even after the first chapter.  There is more romance in the book than horror.  If anything, the little quirky stuff like that about the story is what makes it so good.  It has a lot more depth that most horror stories (esp more modern ones).
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2004, 01:16:10 AM »
Talk about it EP. In my year 11 English class, we looked at Frankenstein. I think we ended up deciding that the guy who writes the first chapter (on the boat...I forget his name) must be an obsessive-compulsive Bipolar gay. We proceeded to make jokes about this for the rest of the year. (This was the same teacher who made us spend an entire double period discussing the phallic-ness of rocks in the background of Alien, and (serrendipitously) the same teacher who made me want to be an Englsih teacher myself. Not because of that incident though. But I digress.)
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2004, 02:56:22 AM »
Lol, glad to hear that wasn't just me.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2004, 11:22:19 PM »
Well, I got two and a half of my books read over break -
Jazz is good but depressing.  It also has "Bridge of the San Luis Rey" written all over it.  But it is very well written, and I am sure I can get a paper or two out of it when the time comes. Huzzah.

Seize the Day is depressing and kind of boring.

Main Street - which I'm halfway through- is funny and satirical typical 1920's stuff.  Very amusing, at least in parts- the first two chapters, for example, are hilarious beyond belief.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Morag

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2004, 09:38:50 PM »
I'm not a real Lit fan, about a year ago I took a Creative Writing class at the University of Utah (it was not as fun as Daves Class) and we had to read all these short stories.  I had never heard of most of them but my wife (graduated in english) and EUOL both had read just about everything I had to read for this class.  I reall didn't many of the stories, and even the ones that I hated less than the others were never anything I would like to write.  Were are talking stories like I Stand Here Ironing, The Misfit and Master and Man.
The worst part was the title of the book that had all our reading assignments in it was called "You Got to Read This"

I was actually excited to erad some stories that might help my onw writing but that class inspired me to stay to the clasics like Jordan and Herbert.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2004, 10:46:38 PM »
Well some people just get into literature deeper than others.  I'm to the point where I can read something that I hate, but still enjoy it as literature.  Aren't you done with school though?

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2004, 10:52:11 PM »
Well, got my books for my War & Lit class today. Here's the 4 books I've got for that class: "365 Days," "The Vietnam War in American Stories, Songs, and Poems," "The Vintage Book of War Fiction," and "World War One British Poems."

And in my Creative Writing class I got books entitled: "250 Poems," "40 Short Stories," and "Imaginative Writing."

Also I have to read "Cannery Women, Cannery Lives" in my Modern US History class.

So yeah, nice full workload for me this semester.
                William S. Burroughs

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2004, 11:01:15 PM »
And in my Creative Writing class I got books entitled: "250 Poems," "40 Short Stories," and "Imaginative Writing."

Do they have on on "Imaginative Titles" as well?

Sounds like a fun reading term for you, Gemm.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2004, 11:11:12 PM »
No, they both say "A Portable Anthology." And yes, I think I will have some fun reads. Plus in my creative writing class we have to write something each week. But she gave us this humongous list of topics to use. So who knows what I'll accomplish now.

Although I don't completely get the reason behind War & Lit. But I may get it someday.
                William S. Burroughs

Morag

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2004, 02:11:47 PM »
What do you mean by read a story you hate and still enjoy it as liturature?  After reading through hundreds a really bad stories as a slush puppy at TLE, if I would have read one of my creative writing assignments as a submission, I still would have rejected it (even if it had SF or F elements in it.)

And I am back in school studying Statistics, I desided to get a read Degree (no offence to English majors intended, becasue most of you actually want to use your degree, as apposed to my degree in psychology.)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2004, 02:26:57 PM »
I desided to get a read Degree (no offence to English majors intended, becasue most of you actually want to use your degree, as apposed to my degree in psychology.)

By which he means that even though many English majors use their degrees, it's still not "real" :D

Anyway, I think she means that she can see the elements in it that make you think. It's possible. It just doesn't usually happen in the slush pile.