Author Topic: A question for you comic book people  (Read 2063 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
A question for you comic book people
« on: April 16, 2004, 05:26:56 PM »
Why is it, in comic books (and sometimes in webcomics) that the authors decided to bold virtually every other word in their dialogue?  This has always been one of the things that has always kept me from reading comic books.  The dialogue doesn't feel natural to me, because people just don't put stresses in their speech that often.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: A question for you comic book people
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 06:30:23 PM »
naturally you expect me to be one of the people posting an answer to this question.

I too, think it's over used.

However, to a certain extent it does help you explain how to read it. For those of us used to prose narrative, we put our own emphasis into the speaking. With comics, they put bolds in to help us see what words are key in the way the character is saying it. it helps to not think of them as stressed as people (at least me, and apparently you as well) tend to think a bold word is used. Often I think the letterist tends to bold words stressed in concept, not actually speach.

The above, naturally mitigates to a certain exten the over-use of bold, but imo, does not make up for ALL of it. It's still over-used typically.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 03:34:57 AM »
I've seen a lot of comic scripts (plain old text documents before they're turned into comics) and the bolded words are all in there as well, usually capitalized, and they're all over the place and very hard to read. I think they do it too much, but I've also noticed that the more I read the more I don't notice it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 09:26:17 AM »
Remember, comics are melodrama.  Melodrama commands the use of bold emphasis and overblown dialogue.  It's just part of the genre.

"Great SCOTT!  Captain Nazi, you diabolical FIEND!  How DARE you threaten a busload of NUNS with your (GASP), Penguins of DOOM!"
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 11:36:24 AM »
OF DOOM!
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com