Author Topic: Copyright question  (Read 1887 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Copyright question
« on: April 21, 2004, 02:12:48 PM »
Here's a question for Stacer or EUOL, or whoever else knows their copyright law.

In my next novel, I'm using the ideas of two politcal scientists who wrote a book on Nuclear Proliferation.  I wanted to use a couple of their specific points/arguments in the novel.  Do I need to reference that?  I'm not copying sections of text, just ideas.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Copyright question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 02:39:20 PM »
I would make a reference either in a forward or an author's note at the back specificying which books you pulled the ideas from. You shouldn't need to specify in the text of the novel itself pages and such.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 02:47:09 PM »
Yeah, I figured I wouldn't need page numbers or footnotes or anything, but wuld I have to mention in the text "John Mearsheimer said..."

www.robisonwells.com

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 03:55:16 PM »
I believe it's simply acceptable to put it at the end of the book (or in a forward) stating generally where the ideas came from. Won't you have an editor to make sure this happens? Just hold on to the page numbers in your notes, so if you're asked in the future, you can produce it. But fot he manuscript, "author's note" should probably suffice.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 04:00:27 PM »
I agree with Saint. Unless it's part of the story, I'd keep it to front or back matter.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 04:06:45 PM »
Sounds good.  Yeah SE, I'm sure my editor could tell me exactly how to do it--I'm just too lazy to email her.

www.robisonwells.com

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 04:14:12 PM »
wow, I really admire your time wasting fu. It's almost as powerful as mine. I mean, you can type it here, but not there.

Of course, I've done the equivelent a million times, walking all over my bldg looking for someone with a potential answer instead of just emailing one person and waiting.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 09:28:58 PM »
According to my brother who graduates in bussiness law and public policy next month, "copyright laws protect products, not ideas." Course, there is the whole argument of intellectual property, but that doesn't stand up very well in courts unless you have some hard evidence that your idea belongs solely to you and therefore no one else has a right to think those thoughts.

But to be curtious and to proliferate the culture of intellectualism, you should place a reference in the book. Most books I've worked on place them in the back.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 01:47:11 PM »
Check a science-heavy science fiction book on how to do it. See for example the acknowledgments at the beginning of Hominids by Robert J. Sawyer (just swing a look in the bookstore). It's the one part of the book I can recommend for sure.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!