Author Topic: What do you collect?  (Read 3458 times)

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: What do you collect?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2004, 10:46:32 AM »
I mostly collect science fiction and fantasy books, old childrens book series (like Trixie Belden, or the Bobbsey Twins), and editing books.  Lots and lots of editing books. And folklore books--I've gained quite a few of those in the past two years.

Brenna, we should compare sometime. Of course, I know that we probably have a lot of the same editing books from 330 and 365 (or whatever that was for Mel). At any rate, I'd love to hear about more editing books.

Also, I used to have both Trixie Belden and the Bobbsey Twins as a kid, but I don't know where they've gone. In the course of several moves, the box that held them has disappeared, along with an original Pinocchio that someone gave me a few years back. Makes me sad.  :(
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2004, 11:16:36 AM »
I think what I really need to collect are bookshelves...
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2004, 11:22:33 AM »
I have a huge book case. Some friends of mine took over her mom's house, and they had a bunch of storage shelves from when they ran a jewelry store. They're just unfinished wood, but they're like 6 feet long by 8 feet high. Each shelf can hold a tall RPG book, but with some spare wood I can turn each shelf into two shelves, so it hold lots of small books too. It's been very handy.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2004, 11:39:27 AM »
The only book I go about collecting are the old Choose Your Own Adventure Time Machine books, which are pretty cool, and in my opinion much superior to basic Chhose Your Own Adventure.  Why?

1. they are based largely on historical fact.  you learn something.
2. no dead ends.  if you make a wrong decision, it sends you off on a tangent or back to a place you've been before.
3. the decisions are all logical - no guessing involved.  If you're thinking (and you do have to think a bit) you can progress to the end of the book by making right decisions.  None of that "Oops - you picked the wrong door.  Now you die."

There are only 25 of them.  I've recently been using Ebay to fill in the holes of my collection.

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2004, 03:48:33 PM »
I collect a lot of random science fiction stuff. I inherited the entire Foundation series, and have oddities like Hyperion and Startide Rising lying around.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

angel

• Level 4
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2004, 07:31:34 PM »
james lee burke novels
it's all in the wrist...

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2004, 11:10:44 PM »
Wow, Kije, I use to read tons of those Choose Your Own Adventure books!  That's actually why I started collecting bookmarks.  I'd keep four or five bookmarks for all the places where I wasn't sure what to do, then go back to them if I ended up at a dead end.  The only time machine one I remember is the Titanic.  Those were great books.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2004, 11:44:17 PM »
I used to read these CYOA books that were like a little role-playing game.  You had 'stats' for your character, and the back page was a little random number generator.  You collected stuff (by writing it on your sheet in the back) and used it in your adventure.

Can't remember what they're called.  I've still got a couple, though.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2004, 02:24:06 AM »
Lone Wolf EUOL.  There's actualy a RPG based off of them that just came out this month.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2004, 11:51:08 AM »
Wow, that sounds like the Mario one where you collected coins and items and had to keep track of it all in the back.  I think they only made two or three of them, though.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring