Author Topic: JLA: Riddle of the Beast  (Read 2751 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: JLA: Riddle of the Beast
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2004, 01:42:40 AM »
So I just finished to the first two columes of Scion. They rocked. Waiting to get my hands on the next two volumes.

I also finished reading Kingdom Come. It was alright, but I felt it was a little underdeveloped.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2004, 06:37:11 PM »
I really loved Scion, but I just finished the second volume of Crux (also by CrossGen) and it's absolutely stellar. I was kind of underwhelmed with the first volume, but looking back I think the problem is that they spent so much time establishing character. Once the plot kicks in, the characters are so strong that the story becomes quite powerful. And it's by Mark Waid, who is as good as I've heard he is.

I'm intrigued by what they're doing with the CrossGen world. In Scion you get the impression that the Sigil-bearers are all going to be fairly simplistic hero figures, because the kid in Scion fits the archetype so well. In Sojourn, however, they Sigil to a bad guy, and in Crux they split it up among a group. I'm interested to read some of their other series', but first I want to track down the rest of Crux because it's very, very good.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2004, 11:28:39 AM »
For WWII theme day, I was thinking of writing a review of Whom Gods Destroy. It's technically not WWII, but it's a DC Elseworlds story where the Nazis rule Europe because they a) develop an atomic bomb and b) threaten to nuke everything they see rather than let Superman defeat their army. It deals with Supes' choices and the consequences of those. Would it have been better to let a nuclear war start? or was it better that he let it go? The story takes place 50 years after WWII ends, and also looks at the relationship Supes has with Lana and Lois, as well as what makes him human.

So, while the story depends on a WWII issue, it's not really WWII. But I thought I'd bring it up here because it's a great story if you can find it.

The Wolverine story I mentioned so long ago was "Not Dead Yet." If they've collected that, it's a fun read.