Author Topic: Literary Scarring  (Read 4135 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Literary Scarring
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2004, 11:36:44 AM »
I think they do that because the kids whine about writing essays. Which, really, is the only way to test how well you can criticize literature. You could have mutiple choice or short answer, but that's really only going to test whether you read the book (or at least the Cliff's Notes).

So that's a teacher problem. Cursed teachers! Give me essays!

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2004, 04:46:09 PM »
Wow, I guess I was in a unique situation.  I don't remember hating any English-assigned books that, if read on my own, I wouldn't have hated anyways.  I guess that's cause I never took the books very seriously.  If it was bad, I'd probably read the "notes" on it and answer the questions as my teacher wanted them answered.  Why should I care if I didn't like the book anyways?  If it was good, I'd add it to my library and not care what the teacher thought of it (aside from getting the right answers on a test).  

On a side note, I started reading Lord of the Flies for fun as a freshman.  I didn't know the plot of the story, but if you just read the first part without any comparison or analysis, it's a really good story.  I finished the second half as a senior, but by then I had good memories of the book.  Strangely, even after all the analysis of it, I like that book.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2004, 03:31:22 AM »
Humm. I don't think I've ever had a book ruined for me. There are a couple books I read in classes that I didn't like (Wuthering Heights, A Thousand Acres), but I think I wouldn't have liked those anyway. And other books I've read in classes I have enjoyed.

But still I don't like literary criticism. The classes that turned me off on literary criticism failed to turn me off on books.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2004, 11:21:08 AM »
Ditto on a lot of that.  Books make sense. Literary criticism is nuts.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan