Author Topic: Literary Scarring  (Read 3394 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Literary Scarring
« on: May 15, 2004, 12:26:06 PM »
I've decided that many English teachers who have attempted to teach me appreciation for particular prose have in fact had the opposite effect of scarring my perseption of that prose. Does that make sense? For example, in an English class at BYU, I got to read "A River Runs Through It." I really liked this book since my brother and I are into fishing and stuff, however, the class discussion of it now makes me cringe at just the thought of re-visting that story.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Here are some books that I can never enjoy again because of some teacher:
  • Pride and Prejudice
  • Peter Pan
  • The Illiad
  • Anything by James Joyce
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Huckleberry Finn
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Literary Scarring
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 02:26:39 PM »
Yeah, Peter Pan is at the top of that list for me, given all I've learned about James Barrie in the last year or so. icky. James Joyce is not really enjoyable either way, with or without a bad teacher, IMO. I can't think of anything I've studied in lit classes other than that, though. I think I've come out of it pretty much lightly scratched, rather than scarred.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 03:13:30 PM »
"Robinson Crusoe"

Ick.  Just Ick.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 03:42:58 PM »
Lord of the Flies...
Its a book that doesnt need much interperitation

and I love ROBINSON CRUSOE but would hate to have it taught to me...

Just like I love Candide but would hate to have that taught to me.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 04:17:24 PM »
Yeah, and on top of that, my 251 class dealt ONLY with Robinson Crusoe and the story.  Whatever you do, don't read J.M. Coetze's "Foe", which for some god-awful reason won a nobel prize.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 04:23:12 PM »
I'll hold myself back from ranting TOO much.

However, this has always been an annoyance of mine.  (Some of you have probably heard me complain about it.)  I'm not exactly sure what the solution is, but I do think that more HS English classes should focus on getting the students to read for enjoyment.  Then, when it comes time to study literature in a scholarly way, they could take passages of certain 'literary' texts, read them, and discuss them.  Forcing kids to read an entire book and take a test on it kind of takes the life out of the reading experience.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 04:33:24 PM »
No offence, but if you've waited till high school to get kids reading for pleasure its too late.

I'd flip your solution around and say teach elementary kids to read for fun, and high school kids how to read to understand.

then again how do you know they read the book?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 04:34:59 PM by ElJeffe »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004, 04:40:21 PM »
Catch-22

Its a book that should never be taught.
Its one you have to wait to experience for yourself before you can even read it. Catch 22 requires and demands that you have life experience behind the actual text. A 16 year old kid, just doesnt understand that kind of humor at least not at the same level as 25-30 year old (and I expect they dont even get the full signifigance.)

And this is a pet peeve of mine,

Just because there is a movie of a book, dont show that movie to the kids in lieu of actually reading it.
Catch-22, Lord of The Flies, Romeo and Juliette (Dont even get me started about "reading" Shakespeare) Catcher in the Rye. Books are an experince you create on your own. Watching to movie robs people of their own creative power.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2004, 05:37:16 PM »
I agree with the 'some things just aren't for HS kids' idea.  James Joyce.  WHY would you have kids read this?  Shakespeare I can understand--I think it's a good experience for students to read him.  But Paradise Lost?  The Illiad?  Grapes of Wrath?  I just don't think HS students can appreciate these books.  

Let them study more contemporary writings.  Find things that are actually interesting, but have a literary bent.  Lord of the Rings is a good example.   Some of Stephen King's work would be a good fit too.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2004, 05:39:56 PM »
lord of the flies
cannery row
grapes of wrath
mrs frisbee and the rats of nihm

thank you miss richter, for ruining these books and making me read each one a fifth time...
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2004, 08:12:43 PM »
I have a mixed effect. Some things I studied, I really enjoyed despite that, like Othello, for example, which I still like. Others may have been ruined, or I may have just not liked it from the beginning, like in the case of J.G. Ballards "Empire of the Sun."
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2004, 09:25:25 AM »
It is not too late to learn to read for enjoyment in HS. My sister hated reading until HS. Now she writes prolificly. POETRY none the less.

I think EUOL is on it. It doesn't have to be one of the greats to get them started. Get something many of them will like. Then look at interesting things the writer does. Build up to literary criticism.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2004, 10:05:19 AM »
And maybe thats what Im getting at too; reading Classics in high school is a little like driving a car before you've owned a bike. Yeah you had a big wheel, but the transition from Big Wheel to Studebaker is a big one especially if you never owned a huffy.

Course its entirely possible that all the huffy will do is reinforce bad habits.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2004, 02:29:01 PM »
What ruins a book ruins a book for me is when the instructor enforces her/his interpretation on the students. Which I have to point out is the anti-cognitive learning proccess. I have to point out that the books I've enjoyed reading most for a class are the ones where the instructor let the class come to their own conclusions.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2004, 11:22:55 AM »
Yeah 42, that's my biggest complaint with HS English teachers.  I had one teacher (for three years) that taught English like it was math -- there was one right answer for everything.  It doesn't make sense to me to have an English test with multiple choice questions.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com