Author Topic: Slayers  (Read 3341 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Slayers
« on: June 14, 2004, 08:41:44 PM »
Eh heh heh...

I just finished my first professional copyedit of a fantasy novel!

Funny that after spending a year in New York trying to get a job in the SF/F publishing field, my first fantasy novel to work on is one translated from Japanese, at a manga company.

Slayers is originally a set of novels. The mangas and animes came later. Book one of the novels covers up through the end of the Shabranigdu stuff in the first season of the Slayers anime. There are 15 novels total in the Slayers series, and over 20 in the Slayers Special novel series.

Ah, gotta go. Will write more later.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Slayers
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 08:53:29 PM »
The firts season of the Slayers anime was pretty dang funny but I never saw anymore since there became a flood of Slayers series.  I'm acutaly surpriesed it took this long for the manga to get translated.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 08:57:47 PM »
But isn't Ookla saying that there are actual novels (all words, no picutres) of of Slayers? Or is he referring to the manga?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 08:58:44 PM »
heh, that's one series I *have* seen. I chortled all the while.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 10:27:03 PM »
Yeah, I'm talking about the novels. Not the manga. There have been various manga versions  brought over already. I think one may have even originated in the US, but I'm not sure about that.

All text...well, there are some manga-style pictures, but less than 10 in the book. This is pretty typical for mass-market serial novels in Japan.

The TOKYOPOP version is scheduled to hit the streets in September. Pretty quick for a novel compared to other publishers...

I didn't watch the whole first series but I do remember cracking up the times we watched it at Brandon's place.

About the books, they're not earthshaking great literature or anything. If you laughed at the anime you'll probably laugh at the books. They're short. Very short, actually--around 40,000 words.

The slayers world has some interesting cosmology, but not much comes through in the first book. It barely hints at future events. It also has an interesting magic system which isn't explained much at all in this one either. The rest of the world is fairly standard role-playing fantasy fare.

It's got some funny characters though. Oh, and the books are all written in first person from Lina's point of view. And there's a fair amount of "talking to the reader"...something to be aware of if you don't like that sort of thing. But the reader she's talking to seems to be someone from her universe rather than ours.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 10:49:50 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 10:29:52 PM »
How are the books?  Any good?

And, congratulations!  I think we can officially put the sub-score of our little contest at:

Professional Fantasy Book Writers: 1
Professional Fantasy Book Editors: 1
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 01:52:09 PM »
I still win.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 02:01:25 PM »
Hum, I didn't know Slayers was first a novel that's pretty rare for Japan.  The only other 2 I can think of is Vampire Hunter D and Lodoss War.  I've actualy got one of the Lodoss books too, about 5 pictures (includeing the map) in the whole thing.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 02:50:38 PM »
There's actually quite a few series that are novels first. Recently, Twelve Kingdoms/Twelve Countries/Juuni Kokuki is a popular example of this.

Sharm

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Drakecastle
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 11:33:59 PM »
I thought Lodoss was a story writen from a D&D session.

So what you're saying, Ookla the Mok, is that you did the editing for the Tokyo Pop translations?  
Sharm @~`~

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 11:36:05 PM »
It was, but that was just the original series.  There is a prequel and several others that happen after the orignal series (some are books other are manga).

And yes Ookla is an editor for Tokyo Pop.

Sharm

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Drakecastle
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2004, 11:51:04 PM »
Cooool...

Now I know 4 people working for Tokyo Pop.  ^_^
Sharm @~`~

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2004, 02:57:45 AM »
I'm a copyeditor. Which means I'm one of the dogs begging for scraps from the editor's tables.

I'm supposed to get my name in the book, though. I wish I'd been able to go through it after it got laid out though (and before the blueline).

Who are the other people you know at TOKYOPOP?

Sharm

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Drakecastle
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2004, 04:40:20 PM »
3 translators.  Athena and Alethia (don't remember their last name, but they've done a lot of work), and Ryan Flake who did Lament of the Lamb and used to be my boyfriend.
Sharm @~`~

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2004, 09:11:39 PM »
Athena and Alethia, aren't they the twins that want to be Voice actors in Anime?