Author Topic: So...what's everyone reading?  (Read 39348 times)

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
Re: So...what's everyone reading?
« Reply #285 on: July 28, 2004, 10:29:52 PM »
I was rather disappointed with The Color of Magic. It has a random ending (and I usually enjoy non-sequiturs) that lacks a resolution.

My favorite Pratchett is The Truth. It's especially funny if you're involved with publishing in any way. Even more so if you work in the newspaper biz.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 10:37:25 PM by Old_One »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #286 on: July 28, 2004, 10:36:01 PM »
uhm. old one, I think what you did was type some text, then highlight it, then chose the "Italics" button above, am I right?

The board isn't htat smart. You have to click the Italics button, then in between the tags created you need to type the text to be italicized. sorry.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 28, 2004, 10:38:08 PM »
Ach!  That's what I get for not previewing my post.

*bangs head on the keyboard*

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 30, 2004, 12:29:17 PM »
The colour of magic's ending was a cliffhanger. It got resolved (admittedly not very well) in whatever the next book was called.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Sminja

• Level 10
  • I'm the productive one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 05, 2004, 10:36:08 PM »
I just finished readin' The Catcher in the Rye, and I really don't know how to describe it. I guess I liked it...full of "catch 22's" and what-not...
"Look, if we're gonna cooperate with anyone at a time like this, it might as well be that hot chick over there!"-Cliff, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #290 on: September 05, 2004, 11:27:11 PM »
I;m reading "the fundamentals of physical metalurgy" it's a whimsical tale about lots and lots of atoms that are stacked in different ways and the world in which it is set is truly surreal... the sequel to the color of magic is called "the light fantastic"
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 05, 2004, 11:36:34 PM »
I am currently reading among others.
Dune, Atlas Shrugged (second time), The Golden Compass (second time), and Through The Looking Glass

Hey Sminja, I am not trying to criticize your taste however this may sound, but how did you like that book?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 11:39:46 PM by Archon »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Sminja

• Level 10
  • I'm the productive one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 07, 2004, 12:31:46 AM »
Well, Archon, to tell you the truth, I don't know if I liked it or not. For now, I'm gonna say it was mediocre, kind of boring, but I'm sure I'll appreciate it more as the years go by and I start to understand it better.

btw, I thought The Golden Compass was a good book.

Attention to everyone who read The Da Vinci Code and liked it, read Angels and Demons! The prequel to the prior title I mentioned, very good (I liked it better than TDVC.
"Look, if we're gonna cooperate with anyone at a time like this, it might as well be that hot chick over there!"-Cliff, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 07, 2004, 12:41:44 AM »
yeah I like the Golden Compass too. As for the Catcher in the Rye, I just thought that he was too...whiny. He kept going on and on, and he used the same phrases repeatedly, like "he really was."  It is supposed to be a classic but I dont see the appeal.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 08, 2004, 12:08:06 AM »
I hated Golden Compass, but then, I tend to dislike any book that kills and hurts little kids.  Actually, I think I also just hate Philip Pullman.  I'm reading A Gentle Madness which is about bibliophiles and bibliomaniacs.  It's amazing what some people will do for a good book.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #295 on: September 08, 2004, 12:13:52 AM »
I dont care for phillip pullman either.. ya know what lets just all hate on pullman...
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 08, 2004, 12:33:24 AM »
    Sigyn, that seems, at best, a hurried judgement. I thought that it was a very descriptive book. One of my favorite parts was when Serafina Pekkala was talking to Lee Scoresby while they were in his balloon and she talked about the differences between witches and men and how the witches could experience greater sensations than men could because they did not get bothered by cold. I thought it was a very good book, and although not as much as its sequels, thought-provoking.

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #297 on: September 08, 2004, 12:20:59 PM »
Just finished "Halloween: What's a Christian to do?" I always get a kick of seeing how Halloween is made to be the Devil's holiday.
Currently reading "Carter Beats the Devil" which is about a stage magician in the 1920s.
Over the summer, I started reading some of the original stories from Doc Samson and The Shadow. Great stuff!
There's no such thing as too much pulp :)

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #298 on: September 08, 2004, 12:23:22 PM »
Books for Thursday (Victorian children's literature class):

Swiss Family Robinson
Robinson Crusoe (still need to find it...)
Treasure Island
The Children of the New Forest
The Coral Island by R.M. Ballantyne (still need to find it too--not in the college bookstore, even)
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #299 on: September 08, 2004, 01:11:16 PM »
I read Heroics for Beginners by John More. on my way home yesterday.  Yeah, the whole thing. It's an easy read.

Anyway, I liked it. THe satire is nothing unexpected or original, but it amused. And he does an incredible job of bringing out funny things. Then bringing these funny things back up at a completely unrelated time, but in a way that reminds you of the first time. I liked that a lot. Now if he'd just focus and write something less contrived.