Author Topic: So...what's everyone reading?  (Read 38786 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: So...what's everyone reading?
« Reply #195 on: December 30, 2003, 10:45:57 AM »
I'm in Japan (Okayama) teaching English until March. After I get back (well actually, before I get back), I'll be applying for editing jobs in San Francisco and Los Angeles.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 10:46:19 AM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 30, 2003, 02:15:27 PM »
I'm rereading the Cronicles of Prydian with my husband. Does anyone else like Lloyd Alexander? Did he write anything else of merit besides The Amazing Adventures of Prince Jan?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #197 on: December 30, 2003, 02:39:49 PM »
Prydain is all of his I've read, but those were very good. Got me hooked on fantasy, really.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #198 on: December 30, 2003, 07:07:06 PM »
He's got a trilogy of quasi-historical novels, which I believe is called Westmarch (?). I know that one of the books is called The Kestrel. That series was very good, but I read it in elementary school so maybe it doesn't hold up to older tastes. Prydain, does, though, so this might also.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #199 on: January 01, 2004, 01:11:06 AM »
Lloyd Alexander!!! I remember reading "The Book of Three" as a kid. It was cool at the time, even if it seems a tad "derivitive" today.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #200 on: January 01, 2004, 08:55:36 AM »
Freaky Ookla's in Okayama, that was my mission ya know.  I was actualy in the city for 2 weeks:)
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 03, 2004, 01:26:29 PM »
It's part of the Hiroshima mission now. My stake center is by the old Okayama mission office though.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #202 on: January 05, 2004, 08:48:37 AM »
Actualy the Okayama became the Hiroshima missoin when I was there.  The only thing that chaged was the location of the mission home.  Now since the disolving of the kobe mission it's alot bigger.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #203 on: January 05, 2004, 11:04:17 AM »
Is the Kobe mission the one in the far north, the one that Evan went to? He tells me what mission it was and I always forget. All I remember is that it was really really cold, because one of his areas was the farthest north you can get in Japan. Which is to say, it was even worse than Boston weather.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2004, 05:44:26 PM »
No he went to Soporo mission which gets Siberian snow.  They, on adverage, have several feet of snow all winter long.  And they have special second story doors in someplaces becasue it snows so much they can't use the first story ones to get outside.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #205 on: January 08, 2004, 03:35:38 AM »
I borrowed The Coming of Conan from a friend.

It's Robert E. Howard's stories  delivered in their original order.

Not having read Conan before, I'm intrigued.  Howard's writing style is a bit odd, but once you get used to it the stories really fly off the page.  

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 18, 2004, 11:06:32 PM »
Right after Christmas I went to the mall to spend a little cash and fill out my presents, and I found that B. Dalton was having a 40% off sale. Going through the fantasy section there, I started realizing that I didn't know my sci-fi/fantasy shelves anymore. Scary.

Anyway, among the books I picked up, I got Path of Fate by Diana Pharaoh Francis cause it looked cool and the writing style in the first few pages wasn't bad. The book as a whole turned out pretty well. Is anyone else familiar with her books? Does she have anything else in print?
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Morag

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 19, 2004, 09:30:08 PM »
I also went on my misison to japan and I went to the Sapporo Mission.  It is the top, the Kobe mission is near Osaka though they were different missions last I heard.

We did get alot of snow. four feet in one storm, but that was a really big storm.  They had sidewalk size snowblower tractor things that just drove down the side walk to clear the snow.  So latter when we rode down them on our bikes (yes we rode bikes all year) it was just like the attack on the death star.

But that is enough on Japan I went to Master an commander and loved it so much I have been reading all the Patric O'Briam books I can get my hands on.  They are historical fiction rather than SF&F but I really like them.  
For those who don't know Patric O'brian wrote several books about Jack Aubry and Stephen Maturin, two of which were titled MAster and Comander and The Far Side of the World.  The plot of the movie is very loosly based on a sort of amalgam of the two books.

I really recomend his books, Istarted with The Golden Ocean which isn't part of his series but it was relly good.  Since it is a stand alone book it might be the best place to start though it is about a Midshipmen and not a captain.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 20, 2004, 08:00:48 PM »
Right after Christmas I went to the mall to spend a little cash and fill out my presents, and I found that B. Dalton was having a 40% off sale. Going through the fantasy section there, I started realizing that I didn't know my sci-fi/fantasy shelves anymore. Scary.

Anyway, among the books I picked up, I got Path of Fate by Diana Pharaoh Francis cause it looked cool and the writing style in the first few pages wasn't bad. The book as a whole turned out pretty well. Is anyone else familiar with her books? Does she have anything else in print?

Never heard of her, but I seem to have found her website if that helps you at all.

http://www.sff.net/people/di-francis/
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 20, 2004, 11:31:26 PM »
Thanks. I didn't stay long at her site and I wasn't planning on being impressed, but I did at least find out that there would be a sequel. I was kind of hoping so. I guess that's one mark of a good book.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster