Author Topic: Eulogy 19  (Read 5189 times)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Eulogy 19
« on: March 25, 2005, 05:12:03 PM »
edit by SE: just linking the column: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1016

If you're talking about the author of Snow Crash, it's Ne*a*l

Not Neil.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 11:42:19 PM by SaintEhlers »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Eulogy 19
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 06:59:09 PM »
Needs a link to the forums. I'll comment later--have the interview in a few minutes, and I don't have time to comment properly right now.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
Re: EUOLogy 19
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 07:07:39 PM »
You know, Skar, you're not really one to talk about accurately spelling names given the original subject of this topic. (Eulogy 19)

As for the article, I was a little miffed about the opening line of the article. It sounds like us girls are being pigdeon-holed by EUOL again. But maybe his non-single status is also forcing him to watch chickflicks like Runaway Bride and he decided to try his hand at adding "new goddesses to the pantheon."
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 07:10:12 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 08:26:51 PM »
It was deliberate.  I don't believe that the Undead Old Lady part really deserves to be capitalized.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

R3E2

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 08:28:55 PM »
I also took offense to the opening statement.  I know very few girls outside of my masters program (which, BTW, is in Children's Lit) who have any interest in children's literature.  I also know many men (sans girlfriends) who enjoy reading children's lit and do not even have an English degree, let alone Child Lit or Education.

I happened to think the movies improved the books immensely.  I actually happen to be a Jim Carrey fan (I know, I know!), but I did not like his scenes in the movie, probably because I find Count Olaf to be the most annoying villian ever created.  The children's scenes, however, were excellent.  I liked that the movie added more of a plot.  The books seem to consist of "idiot plots," meaning everyone must be an idiot for events to unfold as they do.  Granted, this won't stop me from reading each and every one, in the hopes that the next book will have some semblance of an original plot.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 08:42:19 PM »
Mmm...Neal Stephanson.

That man writes faster than I can read.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 11:34:19 PM »
Skar, it's not just that you didn't capitalize, but we don't have a column of eulogies. We do, however, have a EUOLogy.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 11:49:49 PM »
EUOL, consider yourself highly fortunate in the girlfriend department.

Mine forces me to read things like The Da Vinci Code and Steinbeck.

And I still haven't managed to get her reading Hugo or the Lord of the Rings (at least she's planning on reading LotR.  She even owns a copy . . .)
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 12:35:48 PM »
Meh.

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 12:42:15 PM »
Meh.

I'm not sure I can agree with you, but you give a compelling and well reasoned response.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 01:26:50 PM »
balarge faunnel's make very frenacseh bougsaiese.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 03:08:27 AM »
I would just like to point out that the SoUE books are not, in fact, YA.  They're juvenile.  And yes, there is a difference.  Quite a large one, in fact.  

I personally have no interest in seeing the movie, because the reason I like the books is that the narrative cracks me up.  The stories are decent, but it's the asides that make the books, so there's really no reason I can think of to deal with Jim Carrey for two hours over it.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 11:07:10 AM »
Oh oh, Ent, or JP, I'll take this one.

Freaking owned!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 11:36:35 AM »
I think you guys are being a bit too hostile to EUOL. It's not like someone outside of Children's Literature as a field necessarily has a reason to know the difference. Seriously. I don't know. And frankly, like EUOL, I don't see the importance in NEEDING to know. It's not a lack of caring... ok, yeah, it is a lack of caring. I suppose I will if I ever try to get this manuscript published that is YA or childrens or juvenile or something or other.

It's kind of a macho thing in some ways, the way that EUOL says he only reads it with a girl. Reading isn't a particularly manly pursuit in most circles. Reading books for kids? Come on, how manly can that be? But on a more serious level, EUOL is a professional author of adult fantasy. Not YA or Juvenile or whatever. And Adult Fantasy is what he normally likes. All he's saying is that wanting to get in with his girlfriend is motivation enough to make the move over. It doesn't necessarily mean it's girly. It means it's not his normal cup of tea, but liking a girl who likes it will make him drink it anyway.

You can't expect him to care about everything you care about. And getting grouchy about it doesn't do anything but make you unhappy.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 11:54:04 AM »
Heinlein's YA stuff (as I write this I don't know the exact definition of YA, I'm talking about books like, "Spaceship Galileo" and "Red Planet" as opposed to "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" or "Stranger in a Strange Land") is some of his best.

I think generally in YA you're more free to deal with the basics when it comes to theme, motivation, and plot.  Simply because your target audience probably hasn't read much yet or hasn't matured to the point where they can even recoginize the deeper more complicated things that lace "grownup" SF&F.

I for one really enjoy basic themes, plots and motivations when they're done well.  I liked them almost no matter what when I was younger but I can still read them as long as they're not cliched garbage.

-Fellfrosch