Author Topic: The Thief Lord  (Read 2262 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
The Thief Lord
« on: September 27, 2002, 04:30:31 PM »
Has anyone read this book? It's by Cornolia Funke. It was in the news today being promoted as the next Harry Potter.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

Re: The Thief Lord
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2002, 09:45:02 PM »
I have it. It's really quite good. I don't think it has anything to do with the same things as Harry Potter (I've heard the same things--Booklist and the Horn Book said that when it first came out); I think that people just love to have something to compare it to. Well, there is some magic and wondrous happenings involved, though they surprised me when they happened because they don't show up till later in the book.

I do think it's a good book. Very good. A little slow going at first, and I started to think it was going to be like old children's books from the 50s or 60s, but then the twists started coming along. I liked it. And the ending isn't contrived or too neatly wrapped up, which, though it's disappointing deep inside that it didn't end up the way I expected it to, is much more interesting because it didn't.

It's set in Venice, which was interesting to me because I know practically nothing about the city. It was cool to imagine all the canals and think of how they had to walk everywhere--no cars in the city, apparently.

I recommend it. I'd lend it to you, 42, if only we still lived in the same state.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2002, 09:49:04 PM by stacer »

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2002, 09:55:15 PM »
I read Thief Lord.  I enjoyed the hell out of it, but I guessed the Thief Lord's "secret" within the first thirty pages.  It won't compete with Harry Potter, but it is certainly better than Artemis Fowl.  
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

origamikaren

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The World is Quiet Here
    • View Profile
    • tiggywinkle
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 04:02:11 AM »
I really liked the Thief Lord.  I liked that it was written in Italian, and set in Venice, just like an American book might be set in New York, and everybody knows what you're talking about.  

With Artemis Fowl, I thought that the coolist bit was the secret code at the bottom of each page, and I was DEEPLY diasppointed that the other books didn't have it.
Check out my daily poetry selection and musings at http://karenspoetryspot.blogspot.com

-Karen

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 04:22:37 AM »
Hi Karen! Nice to see you around.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net