Author Topic: Half-Blood Prince  (Read 3567 times)

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
Half-Blood Prince
« on: March 09, 2005, 10:30:27 PM »
Scholastic and Bloomsbury released the covers for the book yesterday:

The American Cover
and
The UK Children's Cover

So, any predictions?

From the covers, I'd guess that Dumbledore is going to be taking a more active roll in Harry's life in this next book.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Half-Blood Prince
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 10:53:17 PM »
It does seem as though Dumbledore is going to be more actively involved in Harry's life.

Course, the covers could be a trick. It could really be someone posing as Dumbledore.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 01:04:26 AM »
Maybe Dumbledore is the HBP?

I love that there is purple on the US cover. It's my favorite color.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 09:03:07 AM »
maybe dumbledore is really He Who Must Not Be Named!

on a subject change, I'm growing more disenchanted with the movies. Azkaban took too much out to make it fit (I just barely saw it a few nights ago)

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 09:16:43 AM »
Really? I thought Azkaban was the best of the three so far. The other ones tried to cram too much in, and the acting was terrible.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 09:34:48 AM »
There were just too many elements that they hinted at but ultimately left out the meaning of.  Like the Patronus.

I didn't think the acting was terrible. My only problem is that Hermione is too cute (in the little kid way) to be Hermione.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 12:02:03 PM »
I loved the Azkaban movie.

Anyway, interesting how much older Harry looks on the british cover. Doesn't seem to have aged much on the US one.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 12:26:50 PM »
Those covers are rather ugly to my eyes. Very garish and WOOW LOOK AN EXPLOSION.

Be interested to see if there is a 'UK adults' cover. I remember a comment by Ian Irvine, who said that to Brits and Aussies having characters on the cover looks twee and quaint, while to americans it looks dynamic.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 12:56:26 PM »
The UK cover is awful.  It looks like a highschool student did it.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 03:06:26 PM »
I really like the style of the US cover, though I agree that the older-lookingn Harry on the UK cover would be better. Other than that, though, the UK cover in general looks pretty dumb.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Rican

• Level 5
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 03:22:55 PM »
I still don't see the whole deal with these books.  They are ok at best in my view.  Also did anyone see the Saturday Night Live spoof on Harry Potter and they had Lindsy Lopan playing Hermione?  

Dirtius Maximus

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 03:50:11 PM »
I think the books are great with a lot of character and good pacing. As for the movies, though it has the most edited out when compared to the books, Prisoner of Azkaban is clearly the best of the three so far.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2005, 02:39:15 AM »
There is a UK adult cover, but I didn't post it. It's very understated. It is a picture of "Advanced Potion-Making" sitting on a table.

Here.

Usually they release the flap and back cover blurbs before the book is released, but Scholastic and Bloomsbury announced today that they won't release them until the publish date because they reveal major plot points.

The Scholastic editor (Arthur Levine) and JK Rowling have been slowly trickling out tidbits.

Fudge is so fired. There will be a new Minister of Magic.
Harry has to come to terms with Sirius' death before he will be of any use.
Harry's stay at Privet Drive will be the shortest so far, and he'll be leaving for a happy reason.

And from the UK adult cover, Harry passed his Potions O.W.L. and won't be leaving Snape's class anytime soon.

Just a guess: Harry receives the Order of Merlin and that's why he'll be leaving the Dursley's so soon.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 02:41:33 AM by Old_One »

Captain Morgan

• Level 11
  • Captain Morgan - The Nectar of the Gods...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2005, 03:11:04 AM »
I am looking foward to this book. Hmm, ahem, not as much as EUOL's book mind you, but still really looking forward to it. I bought my son the first four books on his first christmas when he was barely 2 months old, and the wife and I read him the entire series. It will be nice to carry on with it for him, and now my daughter.
"Why make billions when we could make ......... millions?" - Dr. Evil
http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/austin_powers/drevil.wav

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2005, 09:01:23 AM »
I've decided to wait a couple more years before reading it to my kids. Actually, I think what's going to happen is I'll keep filching my sister-in-law's copy and reading that. When the 7th comes out and there's a hardcove box set, I'll buy them all and start reading to my oldest.