Author Topic: Diana Wynne Jones  (Read 2761 times)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Diana Wynne Jones
« on: June 22, 2005, 10:38:22 PM »
There was a lot of talk about DWJ over in movies, so I thought I'd start a topic here. I love her books, I admit (my sister started reading them to me when I was five years old),  but I'm very interested in hearing other people's opinions.

So I'll start with controversy: the books I dislike by her. These are ones I wouldn't recommend people read. First and foremost: Time of the Ghost.  I think Chimera mentioned that she liked this one. I have no idea why because I actually hated it and I don't hate much. Ouija boards and chicken sacrifices are never my cup of tea. I also disliked Who Got Rid of Angus Flint, Witch's Business, Aunt Maria, and one of the collection of short stories that I can no longer remember the name of.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this?
If I had any clue, would I be here?

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Diana Wynne Jones
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 10:48:41 PM »
Haven't read any of them, probably because no one recommended them. I just discovered Power of Three again because I've been unpacking, and I still say it's the best of her work, though I have limited experience--haven't read any of the Howl books, just the Chrestomanci quartet, the Dalemark quartet, and Power of Three, all of which I'd highly recommend. But I also agree with you on Dalemark, that the best of it is The Spellcoats. There were several things that were just badly edited details in the other books that made me want to throw it across the room. Yet I still liked it as a series.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 11:09:45 PM »
I guess I was intrigued by The Time of the Ghost because so much of it is actually drawn from her life. For my Adolescent Lit class, we had to do a report on an author--read three of their books and research their life and awards/accomplishments. In an autobiography, DWJ talks about how negligent her parents could be. She tells the story of how her sister tied her hair in knots in front of her face, hoping to get their attention, and how neither the mother or father even noticed. (One of the sisters does this in the book.) They were very busy running a boarding school for boys and the girls had to live in a shack and take care of themselves. It sounds like a story--but according to DWJ, it's true! The Time of the Ghost is almost entirely biogaphical--the parts that aren't fantastic, at least. I recognized so many things from what she had described of her childhood, and that alone held my interest.

I admit that the chicken sacrifices and strange doll god were quite pagan. But I had just finished Garth Nix's Sabriel so I was feeling pretty unfazed by dark magic. And despite the interest on a biographical level, I found the whole mystery--who the ghost really was, and the play back and forth between past and present--to be very fascinating. Also, the sisters' characters were very distinct (I thought the characterization was well-done, even if the sisters were not the most pleasant girls you've met in fiction).

I think that is one thing I find interesting about Diana Wynne Jones. Her main characters are decidedly human. She doesn't try to glorify them or make them overly good--they are petty and have faults and make mistakes and fight and she doesn't excuse them--that's just the way they are. Even so, they are not bad people and you like them. It is very interesting to me. Even Sophie in Howl's Moving Castle is a bossy sort of woman, bullying everyone around, but you still love her. And don't get me started on Howl. He is a slitherer-outer, just like Sophie says, and yet we still like him.

I liked Aunt Maria and Witch's Busines. I had read a lot of DWJ by then, and perhaps it tainted me into liking her even if a book is flawed (it is entirely possible that I am attached to her as an author and blinded by this, as sometimes happens). You didn't say what it was that you didn't like about these two. For myself, I just remember being entertained and thinking that her plots are always decidedly clever and her characters are always well-done, and therefore I liked them. I don't know about that Argus one, never heard of it.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 08:15:02 PM »
I think I've read everything DWJ has written, and I love most of it, which may be why I am so disappointed when I come across something I didn't like by her. In Time of the Ghost, the pagan elements were so irritating to me that it overwhelmed the rest of the book for me. I didn't like Sabriel either, so I may just have a much smaller tolerance for dark magic.

My problem with Aunt Maria was that I thought the male vs. female aspect of the story was too overt. Instead of being a fun story with fun characters, for me it turned into a moral book where the author's "point" overwhelms everything else.

As for Witch's Business, I read this one a long time ago, so my memory might be flawed, but I just remember it being singularly unimpressive.

I have to say that Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite book by her, though I also really like the Chrestomanci books.  I would also recommend Fire and Hemlock, Dogsbody, Archer's Goon, Year of the Griffin (the sequel to Dark Lord of Derkholm), Tale of Time City, and Hexwood.  Hexwood is a lot of fun and completely plays with my mind every time I read it.

Have you read Sudden Wild Magic? It's ok, but I actually wouldn't recommend it. It's an "adult" fantasy as has a lot of sex going on.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 01:03:11 PM »
***Book Spoilers***
Don't read unless you want Witch Week (one of my favorite DWJ books) ruined for you
My problem with Aunt Maria was that I thought the male vs. female aspect of the story was too overt. Instead of being a fun story with fun characters, for me it turned into a moral book where the author's "point" overwhelms everything else.

I can see what you mean about Aunt Maria being too overt. I didn't get that feeling, but I can see how you did. I agree that when you feel like an author is being didactic it is annoying. That was one of the reasons, I think, that I liked Witch Week so much. I felt it had a good message that was inherent in the story, but not the sole purpose of the story. It is so ironic at the end to discover that practically *everyone* is a witch and has been hiding it, so the persecution and burning of witches has been totally hypocritical. And the message never overtook the story--we still got to see the fun the kids had exploring their magic powers and trying not to get caught. I loved the scene where the girl tries flying a broom. But at the end, I was left thinking about the Holocaust and how prejudice really has no basis since we all are human beings--deep thoughts from a fun little story. And I think that is what DWJ wanted the reader to get out of it. But maybe not. Maybe she just wanted to have a fun story with magic.

Have you read Sudden Wild Magic? It's ok, but I actually wouldn't recommend it. It's an "adult" fantasy as has a lot of sex going on.

No, I haven't, and if you don't recommend it, I probably won't.
Hexwood is a lot of fun and completely plays with my mind every time I read it.

It sounds like Hexwood is the next one of hers I need to read.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 05:51:17 PM »
When I first read Witch Week, I was pretty young (I actually can't remember if I read it or my sister read it to me), and I didn't get it at the end that practically everyone was a witch. Years later when I read the book again, I finally got it, and it made me laugh out loud.

I really like Hexwood, but it is really trippy.  Really, really trippy. The book is dedicated to Neil Gaiman (who wrote Coraline) and I always thought that explained a lot of why the book is the way it is.

Another good one by her that I forgot to mention above is Eight Days of Luke. It's a great twist on Norse Mythology aimed at young adults, so you don't have to worry about content issues like there were in American Gods by Neil Gaiman (which I would not recommend).

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 04:13:45 PM »
Yea, I read Eight Days of Luke. It probably isn't her best, but I did really like how she used Norse mythology.

Neil Gaiman is trippy, so you are right in that it could explain why Hexwood is trippy. Man, I *have* to read it now--I really like Gaiman, so a book by DWJ influenced by Gaiman *has* to be cool.

Actually, his book Stardust reminded me a little bit of Howl's Moving Castle. Particularly his chapter headings--he names them the same way that DWJ does in Howl's. And then when I read the acknowledgements, he acknowledged her, so perhaps Stardust is a tribute from Gaiman to DWJ just like Hexwood is a tribute from her to him.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 05:07:36 PM »
The only problem I have with DWJ's work is that she has a lot of unlikeable fat girl characters. I like that she includes bigger girls, but it bothers me the terminology she uses about them: pink, piggish, etc. This is mainly a problem in her earlier work--which includes The Power of Three, which is one of the only things I can't stand about that book.

Yet at the same time, her use of overweight characters in addition to gangly teens adds to that characterization you guys were talking about. I just wish she'd use better terminology to describe them.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 11:41:42 PM »
I got another recommendation to read Hexwood--from EUOL's youngest sister, who is also a DWJ fan. Man, I have to read this book! I'll hit the BYU library as soon as I am back in town.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 01:31:23 PM »
If you want, you can borrow a copy from me. I can give it to EUOL at writing group, but you have to promise to be nice to it.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 05:17:36 PM »
Okay, if you remember, you can give it to him tonight. I promise to be nice to it--you can ask EUOL, I'm very protective of books, and get mad when he man-handles mine. It would be nice to have Hexwood while I am lounging on the beach in Southern California the next two weeks.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2005, 10:56:52 PM »
Oops! Sorry, I didn't get your reply until after writing group, so I didn't bring it.

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 01:20:11 AM »
Hexwood is very cool.  It's been quite a while since I've read it--I should go see if our library here has a copy.

Does anyone have any insight into what exactly happens at the end of Fire and Hemlock?  
~금강산도 식후경~

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 02:14:01 AM »
Same thing that happens at the end of many of her books--things get all weird. I dunno--that was an odd one at the end.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2005, 02:33:54 PM »
Well, I think she was playing off the original story of Thomas the Rhymer where Janet has to hold on to him and not let go in order to save him from the Fairy Queen. In Fire and Hemlock, instead Janet has to give Thomas up in order to ssave him, probably because the fairies had learned from the last experience, thought they knew what Janet was going to do, and so set up things to be against her.