Author Topic: Value of Fantasy  (Read 2167 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Value of Fantasy
« on: October 10, 2005, 11:39:09 AM »
Okay this article doesn't specifically address any one medium, but I figured that the literature people would have the most to say about it.

http://articles.health.msn.com/id/100108134/site/100000000/
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Value of Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 12:29:35 PM »
That's a cool article.  I've been saying for years how glad I was that my non-parent role-models while I was growing up were people like Tarzan, Frodo, and Conan instead of sports stars or actors.

I think the idea that everyday heroism, as Gilsdorf says, showing up to your kid's play, sticking to your values in the face of ridicule... will slowly become better and better recognized as life goes on.

As for Fantasy being a release, yeah, what he said.  I hope it just gets bigger and bigger as a genre.

And I also hope that it gets better and better, so that it will gain more of the subtlety necessary to speak on many different levels and actually communicate to people's souls instead of just their urge to hack and slash.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 12:58:03 PM »
I'm just glad we're getting away from tolkien, finally. I love his work as I love the female anatomy, but an entire genre composed of ripoffs got old, fast.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 02:41:35 PM »
The real value of fantasy and sci-fi is that it keeps the kids entertained. Just try putting anything else on and everyone starts whining (except for my wife).
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 01:47:16 AM »
And the geeks shall inherit the Earth!
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.