Author Topic: Just for Entropy  (Read 4321 times)

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Just for Entropy
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005, 08:07:13 PM »
Very good article. interesting how I never thought about the whole dragon in the windstorm thing before. mabye I should pay more attention from now on huh?

NAWW! :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 10:42:40 PM by OneEyedGreenPerson »
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2005, 10:25:42 PM »

I thought the thesarus was my best friend, but I think it was actually my worst enemy.

You weren't the only high schooler to suffer from this affliction. I often grade papers for my mother-in-law who teaches high school English classes, and it's hilarious. It's pretty obvious that they use a thesarus because their fancy vocab words are often mis-used. I wish I had some with me so I could give examples. Next batch I get I'll post some.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 10:42:07 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Lightning Eater

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2005, 10:18:49 PM »
I never liked Thesauruses because of how so many of the synonyms they list are only synonyms in really specific circumstances. Once, a few years ago, when someone was talking about how great they are I tried to prove the badness of Thesauri by going from synonym to synonym and evetually getting from "false" to "true". I gave up because it was getting boring, but I had gotten from false to some kind of animal (I think it was something like goat, I just remember saying I'd proved my point by getting from an abstract noun to a farm animal)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 06:40:48 PM by Lightning_Eater »