Author Topic: Eragon  (Read 5751 times)

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Eragon
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2006, 04:05:19 AM »
And "Barges? Barges, we dont need no stinking barges!" was done only to tell a story?
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Lightning Eater

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2006, 10:38:00 PM »
Where was that from, by the way?

Parker

• Level 12
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 12:00:29 AM »
There's a "Badges" line like it in Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and a "Badgers" line in UHF.  And I think it's in one more film, but I can't remember which.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 03:09:28 AM »
Where was that from, by the way?

It's actually from Eldest, but the fact that he used a nealy direct movie quote. As well as the one that was nearly exactly like Gandalf's line in the Fellowship when he says "Two eyes, as often as I can spare them." Just outrages me. That coupled with his inablity to pull sucessful suprises, or to put any urgency into his situations, or make up languages without vastly irregular consenants, or to make up a map that isn't there just so he can take you to every freakin' corner of it, pretty much ruined my confedance in his writing skills. Maybe he'll actually learn how to be inventive and skillful someday, but from the looks of it that day is far off.

blcdrayco

• Level 4
  • Oops.  Well, who needs Asia anyways, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 12:37:22 PM »
Like I said, it reads like it was written by a fanboy.
It does not matter if you are the emperor of man- If your wife is angry, you sleep on the couch.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2006, 01:03:16 PM »
There's a "Badges" line like it in Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and a "Badgers" line in UHF.  And I think it's in one more film, but I can't remember which.

Blazing Saddles baby.  The original.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Parker

• Level 12
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2006, 01:32:30 PM »
Well, Sierra Madre was the original.  Bogart.  But thanks for reminding me about Saddles--I knew there was one more.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2006, 02:48:03 PM »
The sad thing is, I bet Paolini has never even heard of Treasure of the Sierra Madre, let alone seen it. For some reason it always makes me sad to see people reference things without understanding them. At the same time, the linguist in me thinks it's kind of cool to watch phrases travel through the culture and see people makes references of references of references. It's still sad, though.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Lightning Eater

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2006, 09:32:30 PM »

It's actually from Eldest, but the fact that he used a nealy direct movie quote. As well as the one that was nearly exactly like Gandalf's line in the Fellowship when he says "Two eyes, as often as I can spare them." Just outrages me. That coupled with his inablity to pull sucessful suprises, or to put any urgency into his situations, or make up languages without vastly irregular consenants, or to make up a map that isn't there just so he can take you to every freakin' corner of it, pretty much ruined my confedance in his writing skills.

My big problem with it is that it contains

Nothing original.

Whatsoever.

Everything is lifted from somewhere else.

Maybe he'll actually learn how to be inventive and skillful someday, but from the looks of it that day is far off.

In an interview somewhere he said he doesn't read criticism of his work, so you're most probably correct.

On the topic of all that, someone's finally made an eragon anti-fan site.

http://www.anti-shurtugal.com/

I literally found it just yesterday.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 09:46:21 PM by Lightning_Eater »

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2006, 09:43:27 PM »
While I don't think they're exactly conducting themselves professionally there, that is interesting.  
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 09:43:40 PM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Lightning Eater

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2006, 09:47:12 PM »
While I don't think they're exactly conducting themselves professionally there, that is interesting.  

Yeah, that's my one big problem with it.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2006, 02:26:45 AM »
in a separate thread, i mentioned that the reason why Eragon is so popular is because the kid was 15 when he wrote it.  I manage a book store.  people come in and say, "That was an amazing story!"  I say, "Which part?  the Terry Brooks part, or the LotR part?"

What I often question is do people like the story, or the fact that a 15 year old wrote something that doesn't hang on mommies refrigerator?

I was actually fine with Eragon until 3 things happened:

1.  I read Steven Erikson (read him now!!!!)
2.  I read Brandon Sanderson (you better have read this guy if you are on TWG!!)
3.  I read Eldest (bleh...see below)

Eldest used every cliche in the fantasy/sci-fi universe.  Plus his cover art is crappy.  They look like something out of a My Little Pony cartoon.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 02:28:18 AM by Diamante »
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2006, 05:45:47 AM »
According to that site he wasn't 15 when he wrote the book but 17.  He started writing books when he was 15 but didn't finish Eragon until he was 17.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2006, 08:07:29 AM »
The sad thing is, I bet Paolini has never even heard of Treasure of the Sierra Madre, let alone seen it. For some reason it always makes me sad to see people reference things without understanding them. At the same time, the linguist in me thinks it's kind of cool to watch phrases travel through the culture and see people makes references of references of references. It's still sad, though.

I've never heard of that film, and I'm not sure what phrase your talking about :p
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2006, 10:05:08 AM »
Well, Sierra Madre was the original.  Bogart.  But thanks for reminding me about Saddles--I knew there was one more.

That's what made me hate the line so much, is that I knew about Sierra Madre.

My big problem with it is that it contains  

Nothing original.  

Whatsoever.  

Everything is lifted from somewhere else.

I completely agree with that, I just like critisizing everything else so much I forgot to include that part.