Author Topic: What are you reading mark II  (Read 32116 times)

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: What are you reading mark II
« Reply #255 on: July 23, 2005, 03:43:51 PM »
I have the same problem with Great and Terrible Beauty. It has a lot of potential and never really lives up to it. It's not one of my favorites in character or magic system. But it's got a lot going for it, too, in setting and possibilities, which makes me think that other people can do similar things, but better. ;)
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #256 on: July 23, 2005, 09:25:26 PM »
C.S. Lewis:  The Man and His Message edited by Andrew C. Skinner and Robert L. Millet
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #257 on: September 07, 2005, 03:54:47 AM »
Harry Potter, book #1.  For the first time.

I've already seen 3 of the movies, so it takes some of the magic out of it.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #258 on: September 07, 2005, 09:05:16 AM »
what? they don't cast as many spells?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #259 on: September 07, 2005, 09:19:25 AM »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #260 on: September 07, 2005, 10:02:39 AM »
that gif rocks so hard, sprig.

thing is, how was any response different from mine even POSSIBLE?

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 21, 2006, 07:53:20 PM »
I'm reviving a 6 month old thread to let you all know I'm reading Orson Scott Card's Worthing Saga.  It's quite good.  I never enjoyed the Ender's Game series or the Alvin Maker books very much, even though everyone else loves them, but I like this book.  Got to have something to do while I'm sick in bed, I guess.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 23, 2006, 12:04:42 AM »
I'm reading the 163X series by Eric Flint and others. Starts with 1632, it's about a year-2000 West Virginia coal mining town that gets transported back in time to Germany in 1632 in the middle of the 30 years' war. A smackdown ensues. Nothing deep here, but some creative stuff and a good old-fashioned romp. Plus some good history lessons about a time period I know nothing about. (King Gustav II Adolf of Sweden was apparently quite the man.) Continues in 1633 (with David Weber), Ring of Fire anthology with various people, some 1634 books (with yet other people)...I believe a total of 5 books are out now, but something like 15 are in the works. You can read at least 2 of them online for free at baen.com/library.

I'm also reading Ben Bova's Grand Tour series. I'd read Mars and Return to Mars years ago, and I might have read one of the Moon books back then too, but I just recently picked up book 1 of the Asteroid Wars and that got me started again. Read the 2nd one of that too, and various others are in queue. I don't think Ben Bova is a very skilled writer, but he's been turning stuff out in volume in the last few years. Very golden age-flavor stuff, though obviously written recently with the stuff like nanotechnology, greenhouse warming, and the political situation on Earth. Even less deep than the 163X books. But not a bad waste of time.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #263 on: February 23, 2006, 09:50:32 AM »
I'm reading the first book in Kevin J. Anderson's "Saga of hte Seven Suns." Mostly because he gave it to me (and all the other guys there) when we had coffee a couple years ago (ok, I just ate M&Ms, HE had coffee) at WorldCon. It's got too many characters and the plot moves very slowly. Until they suddenly announce that "many" sites have been destroyed by the mysterious enemy, when the chapter previous it had only been 3.

I'm not really recommending it, but I'm going to try and finish the book anyway.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 27, 2006, 01:59:11 AM »
I've set a goal for myself to read all the books I own that I haven't read, or get rid of them.  As such, I have made a discovery:

There's a freaking *reason* why I haven't read many of these books, i.e. they aren't any good.  I finally finished Inkheart.  Terrible.  I'm reading Eragon now, which isn't a very well written or well paced or original book, but I'm actually enjoying, though that makes me feel somewhat disgusted with myself.  

I do have a few books that have only been sitting on my shelf for a few months, so hopefully those will be better than these others that I've been putting off for over a year.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #265 on: February 27, 2006, 09:39:13 AM »
I decided that last night too.
I read for about 2 hours. Then went to sleep. I expect my goal to fail in the next day or so.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2006, 10:49:24 AM »
I just finished "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. It's about a boy in Afghanistan in the 1970s-1980s. For the first half of this book I was bored and only pushed my way through it because it's the book for book club. But it was all build-up for the intense second half that kept me up late one night. There were some disturbing parts in it (sexual violence--rape of a boy). But it was very interesting, especially about the Afghan culture and very well written.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

amyface

• Level 3
  • coolbeans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 03, 2006, 09:31:36 PM »
Mistborn, Brandon Sanderson's latest published novel has moved into my favorite book place... His first book Elantris is up there too, and he's releasing an online book called Warbreaker that's only half way finished but it's VERY good too!

www.brandonsanderson.com

he posts in this particular Forum so he may have already mentioned them...

WEEEEEE
Dude, no no really, DUDE!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #268 on: October 03, 2006, 09:51:31 PM »
Wait.....did you just bump a thread about 8 months old and not on the front page when the more current thread (mark 3) is stickied so people wouldn't post in the wrong one?  Wow, that takes skill...or well, lack of skill.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.