Author Topic: Stolen Child  (Read 1755 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Stolen Child
« on: May 25, 2006, 06:06:10 PM »
Anyone read STOLEN CHILD by Keith Donohue? Is it worth reading? I often find 'mainstream fantasy' to be crap (i.e., WICKED by McGuire), so I was wondering if any of you have read it and whether it's worth my time.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

darkjetti81

Re: Stolen Child
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 07:56:34 PM »
Haven't read it yet, but I've heard good things.  

Check out this link:  

http://www.randomhouse.com/nanatalese/stolenchild/index.html

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 09:51:14 PM »
I'd rather have someone from TWG tell me than mainsteam readers, because WICKED got similar reviews.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

darkjetti81

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 07:17:20 PM »
You didn't like "Wicked" ?  You read it??   My sister loved it, and she's *really* picky about what she'll read, a real anti-conformist.
But I don't plan on reading "Wicked" anyway, it just sounds silly.  
If you're looking for an underappreciated fantasy writer that hasn't been sold-out by the masses, try reading "Transformation" by Carol Berg.  I loved that one.  
That and "Assassin's Apprentice," by Robin Hobb.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 11:07:40 PM »
I read WICKED and I loathe it. It's clever and entertaining in a raunchy sort of way, if you go for that sort of thing (it condones adultury and contains other kinky hanky-panky). It was full of plot flaws and inconsistencies--but mainstream fiction readers don't likely see those problems. They'll look at it more as a fairy tale kind of book, and will therefore be more forgiving. Even if the plot careens out of control as it nears the end...like the author was running out of steam.

I will try TRANSFORMATION, thanks for the suggestion.  I've read ASSASSIN'S APPRENTICE (I've read all the Fitz books, in fact) and liked it.

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 12:26:53 AM »
really? I loved wicked... Im a fan of Maguire... I liked the political/religious commentary in it... I dont really like fanatsy generally though...
I guess I can see what your saying though... it does kinda "careen" towards the end...
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 04:11:34 PM »
Don't know about the book but my Sister, who's probably around caiticlu's age, and her friends love the musical.  Heck my dad even flew her and her roommates out to NYC so they could go see it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 05:25:11 PM »
I've heard the musical is good. I've even heard some of the music, and it's cool. The musical doesn't have some of the rather questionable material from the book.

It's rather like the Da Vinci code where the book isn't exactly the epitome of writing and the movie/musical is good...err...or not. I haven't seen either movie or musical, so I guess I shouldn't be the one to make the comparision. I've only read the books.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 06:02:20 PM »
SE's 'punk' label has been withdrawn. At least until he inevitably earns it again.

I read this book expecting to hate it. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I would read it again.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 05:37:21 AM »
That's good to know. I've been considering reading this book as well, but had the same reservations that you expressed above about "mainstream" fantasy.

BTW, I hated Wicked too--and for similar reasons. I started it on vacation right after my mission (bad idea), and could not get past the excessive details of the mother's sordid love affair with some non-human in the first few chapters. Wondering if it got better, I randomly flipped to the middle and wound up in another sex scene.  :P  I soon returned the book and got my $ back.

However, I love the music from the musical (we listened to it driving home from Cascadia Con in Seattle last year at MsFish's request), and I was surprised at how good the story was. I think you're right about them cutting the questionable stuff out to make the musical.  There might be something there now.  ;)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"