Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311477 times)

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #1635 on: February 03, 2011, 05:22:55 PM »
Hello everyone I am about to finish warbreaker and i was wondering if someone has any recommendation... i read the house of night series las december and now i am waiting for the new one but it comes out until november  :-\

Anyway I am looking for something good... I have been thinking on reading the Chronicles of Elantra

Hop on over to Elitist Book Reviews.  We've reviewed a ridiculous number of books over the past year, and can find something for pretty much everyone.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: February 03, 2011, 06:19:49 PM »
Anyway I am looking for something good... I have been thinking on reading the Chronicles of Elantra

I really like the Elantra books and would definitely recommend them.

Right now I'm reading Among Others by Jo Walton. It's a very different read, and I like it a lot so far.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: February 03, 2011, 06:58:18 PM »
Hello everyone I am about to finish warbreaker and i was wondering if someone has any recommendation... i read the house of night series las december and now i am waiting for the new one but it comes out until november  :-\

Hop on over to Elitist Book Reviews.  We've reviewed a ridiculous number of books over the past year, and can find something for pretty much everyone.

I like the diversity in your top list from 2010. Surprised to see Shades of Milk and Honey there. I have not read this, but that struck me as a chick book. Then I noticed that Dan Wells liked it. If a serial killer author can like it, I might try it.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: February 03, 2011, 07:48:27 PM »

Right now I'm reading Among Others by Jo Walton. It's a very different read, and I like it a lot so far.

EBR was sent a copy of that as well--looked interesting.  I was gonna read it, but then I remembered I had new Erikson, Esslemont, Matheson, Correia and Barclay to read...I wish it had actually been a tough decision, but it wasn't.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: February 04, 2011, 06:02:27 PM »

EBR was sent a copy of that as well--looked interesting.  I was gonna read it, but then I remembered I had new Erikson, Esslemont, Matheson, Correia and Barclay to read...I wish it had actually been a tough decision, but it wasn't.

It's very . . . contemplative. I'm not really sure how to describe it. It essentially starts after the girl has saved the world and having to deal with "what happens now?" I don't think it's a book for everyone, and I know that if I had read this as a teenager, I wouldn't have liked it at all, but right now I find it fascinating.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: February 07, 2011, 07:38:16 PM »
THE HEROES was awesome.  My package containing THE CRIPPLED GOD was delayed due to weather, so I'm reading FARLANDER instead.

I also read Larry Correia's upcoming DEAD SIX.  Co-authored with Mike Kupari.  Alternate present military thriller.  It was quite awesome.  It reminded me of Tom Clancy minus the boring crap.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: February 08, 2011, 04:27:05 PM »
I recently finished:

Wolfsbane by Patricia Briggs, follow up to her Masques. Not particularly good. She should stick to urban fantasy.

Elizabeth Bear's All the Windracked Stars in preparation for reviewing the sequel. Strange and oddly compelling. My Jury's still out on that one.

Reading now:

The Soul Mirror by Carol Berg at the request of an EBR reader.

By the Mountain Bound, Bear's prequel to Windracked Stars.

The Mighnight Mayor by Kate Griffen, which has an unusual style, but I'm enjoying so far.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: February 08, 2011, 05:56:26 PM »
I just finished Neuropath by Scott Bakker. I'm confused (some of the climax stuff just didn't make sense) and feel like I wasted my time. No real payoff, and depressing. Blah.

That was the first off the stack of books from World Fantasy. Now I can get rid of it so my bookshelf is less crowded. But I can't decide if I should donate it to the library or just tear out the pages and recycle them.

The writing was certainly good, but that's not what I read a book for.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1643 on: February 08, 2011, 07:31:44 PM »
But I can't decide if I should donate it to the library or just tear out the pages and recycle them.

I vote for ripping the pages out and then burning them.  Put the ashes in your garden, and then he'll have at least contributed something to your life.  That book was horrible.  And I even bought it.  Ugh.  I have really enjoyed the Prince of Nothing books, but I'm not going to be reading any more of Bakker's stuff that lands outside the fantasy realm without some fairly hefty persuasion.

Finished The Dragon's Path by Abraham.  Really, really good.  Loved that book and can't wait for the rest.  Review up soon at EBR.

Started Esperanza by Trish MacGregor today.  The prologue didn't inspire much confidence, and after reading Abraham, whose prose is tight and efficient, wading through the morass of this one might end up being more of a chore than I'd anticipated.  Ah well.  More fodder for the cannons.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: February 08, 2011, 11:47:57 PM »
But I can't decide if I should donate it to the library or just tear out the pages and recycle them.

I vote for ripping the pages out and then burning them.  Put the ashes in your garden, and then he'll have at least contributed something to your life.  That book was horrible.  And I even bought it.  Ugh.  I have really enjoyed the Prince of Nothing books, but I'm not going to be reading any more of Bakker's stuff that lands outside the fantasy realm without some fairly hefty persuasion.

Finished The Dragon's Path by Abraham.  Really, really good.  Loved that book and can't wait for the rest.  Review up soon at EBR.

Started Esperanza by Trish MacGregor today.  The prologue didn't inspire much confidence, and after reading Abraham, whose prose is tight and efficient, wading through the morass of this one might end up being more of a chore than I'd anticipated.  Ah well.  More fodder for the cannons.

@Peter - Just toss it to the library.  I'm a big Bakker fan and I though that book was terribad.  It had some interesting nuggets that people could debate, but as a thriller it failed miserably.  The pacing was balls, the story predictable, and the content was there for shock-value in an attempt to hide the absurdity of it all.

@Dan - I'm glad you liked it.  I assumed you would, but you never know (as evidenced by our comments about Neuropath).  Though your review for it won't get put up on EBR for a couple of months.  You tease.

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: February 09, 2011, 01:24:21 AM »
Just finished a re-read of The Spirit Lens so I could enjoy Carol Berg's Soul Mirror.  She's so good and the pacing was better than Spirit Lens.  Solid, exciting ending with shades of Bronte to pique anticipation for the last installment.

Before that, I re-read The Name of the Wind in anticipation for the long-awaited sequel.  It will be so disappointing if it does not live up to so many ridiculously high expectations, but that's what happens when someone like Rothfuss is brilliant from the start.  It's his own darn fault.

Heading into more Miles Vorkosigan stuff while awaiting Daniel Abraham and others.  The Habitation of the Blessed by Catherynne M. Valente is on my read-soon list.  That sounds yummy.

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1646 on: February 10, 2011, 07:31:57 AM »
@Dan -  Though your review for it won't get put up on EBR for a couple of months.  You tease.

Eight weeks!  That's hardly any time at all.  Especially now that I only have twelve to finish my entire dissertation.   :o

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: February 10, 2011, 04:45:29 PM »
@Dan -  Though your review for it won't get put up on EBR for a couple of months.  You tease.

Eight weeks!  That's hardly any time at all.  Especially now that I only have twelve to finish my entire dissertation.   :o

You're a writer.  What's a dissertation when compared to a 150K word novel?  Shouldn't be any trouble.

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1648 on: February 10, 2011, 10:02:55 PM »
You're a writer.  What's a dissertation when compared to a 150K word novel?  Shouldn't be any trouble.

The writing will be cake, agreed.  It's the computer stuff I'm worried about.  Nothing I can really do about how long that stuff takes.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: February 11, 2011, 01:55:23 PM »
If this is a PhD dissertation, it can be rough, since he has to get a panel of professors to go along with it.

What is your dissertation on?