Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311174 times)

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #1620 on: January 21, 2011, 05:40:38 AM »
Thank you, thank you Elitist crew for the heads-up on Daniel Abraham.  Book four of The Long Price Quartet is waiting for me at the library and I can hardly wait.

Don't know if you've already realized this or not, but Abraham also writes urban fantasy under the name MLN Hanover.  I've really liked the series so far (three books).  So, if you ever swing urban, it'd probably be worth a look.

Also,

Can anyone explain to me what Fruits (sic) Basket means?

I must have been reading too much Abercrombie lately, because I so totally didn't think "kids game" when I read this one...
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: January 21, 2011, 06:04:10 PM »
I'm reading House of Chains and loving it.

I loved that novel.  Once you finish book 6 you should read the first 2 Esslemont novels.  You should also read the collection of three novellas that Erikson wrote about the necromancers.  Pure comic gold.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: January 21, 2011, 07:24:30 PM »
I loved that novel.  Once you finish book 6 you should read the first 2 Esslemont novels.  You should also read the collection of three novellas that Erikson wrote about the necromancers.  Pure comic gold.

I have them all in my to-read pile.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1623 on: January 22, 2011, 10:52:43 PM »
Crimson Wind by Diana Pharaoh Francis and Kissing the Wtitch and Other Tales by Emma Donoghue.

Also a bunch of things for various classes which are decidedly less interesting. ::)

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1624 on: January 25, 2011, 07:45:06 AM »
Hawkwood's Voyage by Paul Kearney -- Bout 60% of the way through the book and it's finally started talking about the voyage.  Yippe gee willikers.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: January 29, 2011, 08:17:04 PM »
The majority of the books I've been waiting for are being released right after I ship out for basic :( I'll have to wait two months after everyone else. On the plus side though, The crippled god is released two weeks after I get out :)
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: January 31, 2011, 05:32:51 PM »
I'm reading THE HEROES by Abercrombie.  Next will be THE CRIPPLED GOD by Erikson.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: January 31, 2011, 07:22:37 PM »
I'm reading Celia Garth by Gwen Bristow. It uses the word 'sassy' more than any other book I have ever read.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: January 31, 2011, 10:40:55 PM »
I'm going to tell you all what WriterDan is reading.  Preempting his gloating, so to speak:

"I'm currently reading Abraham's THE DRAGON'S PATH,"  Dan said.  He rubbed his hands together in a vague similitude of Scrooge counting his money.  "That's right, folks!  The new Abraham!  Aside from Parker, Abraham is my fav author. MUAHAHAHA!!"

And there you have it.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: February 01, 2011, 04:53:19 PM »
Apparently Daniel Abraham has a new book coming out that he co-authored with George RR Martin's assistant. If you look in GRRMs blog there is a link to a video interview with the two. Might be tricky to find, I think they are using a pen name instead of their names for the author.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: February 01, 2011, 05:56:34 PM »
Apparently Daniel Abraham has a new book coming out that he co-authored with George RR Martin's assistant. If you look in GRRMs blog there is a link to a video interview with the two. Might be tricky to find, I think they are using a pen name instead of their names for the author.

Yeah, it's called LEVIATHAN WAKES.  WriterDan is also reading an ARC of that of that one (though hopefully not right at this moment since it doesn't come out for months yet).

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: February 01, 2011, 06:13:06 PM »
Is writerdan allowed to comment on the book before it comes out?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: February 01, 2011, 09:37:39 PM »
I finished The Collected Short Fiction of C.J. Cherryh. I liked a small percentage of it very much, but most of it really didn't move me. I did notice a trend of a page or two or three at the beginning of many stories that was really slow, that I found myself skimming in order to get to a character.

My opinion of Cherryh as a storyteller has gone down in the last decade. Sometimes her writing style is just too opaque. Back in high school the only thing I found so was the Rusalka series, but some of the things I reread over the last few years have also flowed less well than I remembered.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1633 on: February 01, 2011, 11:54:56 PM »
I'm going to tell you all what WriterDan is reading.  Preempting his gloating, so to speak:

Curses!!!  Taking my glory like that!  I'm so...well...so...I guess I have done that to you before, so scratch that one up to experience.  Don't take Steve's glory.  Check.

Still, spot on for what I wanted to say.   8)  It's really good so far.  Loving it.

Apparently Daniel Abraham has a new book coming out that he co-authored with George RR Martin's assistant.

I've seen the videos that were posted and they made me so stoked to get to that one, but as Steve intimated, I have a grundle of books that I have to get to before it, so the next two months or so are going to be literally killing me while I whittle the stack in anticipation of Leviathan Wakes.  From what I've heard, the series is five books though.  Not three.  Though the first three already do have titles.  As soon as I do get to read this one though, there'll be a review up on EBR.  Get ready for it, peoples.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 05:49:21 AM by WriterDan »

haperez

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: February 03, 2011, 03:31:53 AM »
Hello everyone I am about to finish warbreaker and i was wondering if someone has any recommendation... i read the house of night series las december and now i am waiting for the new one but it comes out until november  :-\

Anyway I am looking for something good... I have been thinking on reading the Chronicles of Elantra