Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311134 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #1515 on: August 19, 2010, 10:57:48 PM »
Reading LeGuin's Left Hand of Darkness. Took me a couple chapters to get into it, but I'm there now.

It's not for everyone. But it's definitely a thought-provoking and fascinating book.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: August 20, 2010, 03:52:04 PM »
@Steve how does [Salute the Dark] measure up against the series?

I think it is my favorite so far.  There were a few things that seemed unimportant in the end, but really the ending had that Memories of Ice kind of feel to it.  I was so angry and satisfied at the same time.  It actually kept me up the night after i finished it thinking about the themes of the novel, and what the title of the novel meant.  I tell you, my list of fav authors has had some dramatic changes lately...
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

hubay

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: August 20, 2010, 11:25:29 PM »
One of my friends has a complete collection of the wild cards series, to date – they're ridiculously hard to find anywhere near where I live – and in exchange for letting me read them I've converted him into a fan of Shadows of the Apt, Locke Lamora, and Temaire. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and superior.

I've also been playing tag with bookdepository.com. I told them to notify me the next time they have Mr. Monster in stock at least five times, but by the time I see their notification email, the copy's already sold.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: August 21, 2010, 07:04:37 AM »
I've also been playing tag with bookdepository.com. I told them to notify me the next time they have Mr. Monster in stock at least five times, but by the time I see their notification email, the copy's already sold.

Good thing it comes out in the US in only a month, then! If you think you have a better/sooner chance via Amazon.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: August 23, 2010, 08:18:16 AM »
Just finished Empire in Black and Gold. Wow. This book is so incredibly awesome, I can't think of a proper way to describe it. I am so happy I splurged and picked up Dragonfly Falling the other day; t'would suck if I had to wait to continue this series.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: August 24, 2010, 10:06:34 PM »
Just picked up American Gods. Hope it's good.
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: August 24, 2010, 11:22:39 PM »

I loved it.  That said, I know a lot of people that don't.

I finished reading Chris Wooding's The Black Lung Captain.  It was so frakking great.  Just as good as Retribution Falls.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: August 25, 2010, 04:26:51 PM »
I'm trying C.J. Cherryh. Again. I keep thinking I should like her books, but if I don't like this one, then I'm giving up.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: August 25, 2010, 06:55:34 PM »
Im reading "Ball's Complete Book of Home Preserving"

;)

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1524 on: August 25, 2010, 07:15:50 PM »
Bright of the Sky by Kay Kenyon. So far so good.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #1525 on: August 25, 2010, 07:43:31 PM »
I tried C.J. Cherryh once and was so bored to tears that I have never tried her since.  The book was called Rusalka.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: August 25, 2010, 08:14:34 PM »
Rusalka is a tough slog. I love Cherryh, but I can't recommend it. I didn't get through the second book. The writing style is deliberately opaque in that series.

My favorite Cherryh is the Chanur series. If you're going to read just one Cherryh book, I recommend The Pride of Chanur. It also has the advantage of being short. Of course, if you like that and want to read the rest, the next three books are a trilogy largely in name only—it's basically a long book split into three. Though this is "long" in 1980s paperbacks terms. It doesn't seem long at all nowadays. All 5 Chanur books are available in two omnibuses...which do not keep the middle trilogy in the same volume. Ugh. (The 5th book was written 6 years later and features a secondary but still major character from the first books.)

I also do like her human-centric SF, but some of it can be a bit tough to get through. Downbelow Station was her first Hugo-winner, and it starts with a huge infodump. (I suspect it got added at the publishers' request.) My favorite of this type is probably Tripoint.

I'll probably read the rest of the Foreigner series someday but stopped partway through the 5th book. It's a lot of alien anthropology and politics that I don't get into so much.

Still, I own more Cherryh hardcovers than from any other author.

So anyway, The Pride of Chanur. Read it!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1527 on: August 25, 2010, 09:08:51 PM »
Bright of the Sky by Kay Kenyon. So far so good.

I liked about the first third of that one., tolerated the second third, and was annoyed by the third...uh...third.

You'll have to let me know what conclusion you come to.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: August 25, 2010, 10:13:14 PM »

Just finished it recently. It's a really astounding book. Yet at the same time disturbing. Gaiman has Americans pegged, which was rather disconcerting. The best books are ones not just about their subject, but also go deeper, and American Gods does that because it's not just about Shadow and the things he experiences, it's also about America and what makes it tick.

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #1529 on: August 26, 2010, 09:51:48 PM »
Finished Mr. Monster by Dans Wells last night. So good! Beginning was a little slow, but once I hit the halfway point I had to read it all the way through. Good things I started reading it in the middle of the day, and not one of those "10 minutes before I go to bed".