Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311214 times)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #1485 on: August 09, 2010, 05:33:36 PM »
I finished Shades of Milk and Honey and it was just lovely. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who likes Jane Austen and fantasy.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1486 on: August 09, 2010, 11:48:21 PM »
Yeah, I've heard a couple people say before that Erikson takes time to get into. So far (at about 140 pages in) I'm still a little bit "meh" but I do find I'm more engaged with it than I was at 70 pages.

Shivertongue: Meh. Fans are lame. However, Erikson's fans aren't his fault. XD

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: August 10, 2010, 12:13:53 AM »
it took me 3 whole boks to "get into" the Malazan series, but it was worth it. It was not bad, like Neil Gaiman was for me, so sticking with it was not a difficult choice. Just..  some stuff does not make sense until teh 3rd or 4th book.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: August 10, 2010, 02:43:09 AM »
Yeah, I've heard a couple people say before that Erikson takes time to get into. So far (at about 140 pages in) I'm still a little bit "meh" but I do find I'm more engaged with it than I was at 70 pages.

Shivertongue: Meh. Fans are lame. However, Erikson's fans aren't his fault. XD

Heh, I found myself having the same reaction at around that same area in the book. I was reading on my break at work a few hours ago, and came back inside, telling people "140 pages in and I think I've found the plot!"

It's safe to say I'm much more engaged in the story than I was before, although I'm still feeling a bit 'meh' about the whole book as well. I'm beginning to think it might have been better if the book had started with Darujhistan, rather than where it did.

mtlhddoc: That's a problem, in my eyes. It should not take several books to 'get into' something.

Edit: Just finished Furies of the Calderon, by Jim Butcher, in audiobook, read by Kate Reading. The first in the Codex Alera series, it is a rather traditional fantasy, in many ways formulaic and predictable.

Despite this, or maybe because of it, I loved every moment of it.

I don't know why - it could be that I've just been on a rather large Butcher kick for the past few weeks. I know others haven't cared for it, but I found it greatly entertaining and interesting. Some background reading I've done indicates the Alerans are similar to the Romans because they ARE Romans. The lost legion, transported to a new world centuries ago. I've already downloaded the second book in the series, and I'm looking forward to listening to it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 06:36:17 AM by Shivertongue »
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: August 10, 2010, 03:49:41 PM »
Gardens is enjoyable, ignore everyone bashing it. I know plenty of people who have just as hard a time getting into Eye of the World.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: August 10, 2010, 04:52:58 PM »
I can't stop reading the Name of the Wind. I've had it checked out from the library for..8? 10? weeks now? Whenever i finish I read A mistborn book again, and must return. I'm going to be reading the copy I bought to avoid $30 library fines to my 11 year old brother at night.

Why is this book so good? AGH!
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: August 11, 2010, 11:58:44 AM »
Listening to Anatham by Neal Stephenson. They have 4 readers on this book so they put alot of effort into the audio, but Neal Stephenson will probably be tough on audio. Also checked out the audios of books 3-5 of Naomi Novik series. Book 6 is not out on audio yet.I really liked the first two. Part of the reason I liked them was because they were short. She did not use more pages than she needed to tell her story.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: August 11, 2010, 02:31:33 PM »
So far the Malazan series breaks down this way for me:

Gardens of the Moon- At first confusing but was really interested in the characters and thus continued the series.

Deadhouse Gates: *shrug*

Memories of Ice: At the time easily turned into my favorite of the series.

House of Chains: Absolutely fantastic. One of my favorite story arcs of all time is the one between the Paran sisters.

Midnight Tides: Has it's moments. Introduced a few new neat characters. Such as two out of three of the Beddict brothers, but overall kinda  frustrating.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: August 11, 2010, 04:14:05 PM »
Finally finished James Barclay's hugenormous CRY OF THE NEWBORN.  It was incredible.  Absolutely.  Incredible.  Thank heavens I have the second half of the duology SHOUT FOR THE DEAD waiting.  It will have to wait though.  My reading list:

SALUTE THE DARK
MONSTER HUNTER VENDETTA
BLACK LUNG CAPTAIN
then SHOUT FOR THE DEAD
ONCE WALKED WITH GODS
THE IMMORALITY ENGINE (assuming it ever comes...)
etc

You get the idea.  So many books.  So little time.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: August 11, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
What?! You have Salute the Dark already!!!! *Glares jealously while plotting on how to steal a copy before the release date*
I'm as excited about it's release 9/1 as WoK the day before.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: August 11, 2010, 09:49:35 PM »
What?! You have Salute the Dark already!!!! *Glares jealously while plotting on how to steal a copy before the release date*
I'm as excited about it's release 9/1 as WoK the day before.

I do indeed, and have had it for some time.  I just have had a bajillion other novel to read, so Salute the Dark got pushed back.  That said, I'm loving the little bit I've read today...in fact, I think ima take a 15 minute break right now and go read some more.   Neener neener.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

aronsamma

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: August 12, 2010, 02:28:24 AM »
Listening to Anatham by Neal Stephenson. They have 4 readers on this book so they put alot of effort into the audio, but Neal Stephenson will probably be tough on audio.

for sure. good luck with the diagrams and whatnot. that may be my favorite book, so i hope it works out for you

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1497 on: August 12, 2010, 03:30:13 AM »
Just finished Gardens of the Moon. I like it more than I did at the beginning, but I'm still rather lukewarm about it.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #1498 on: August 12, 2010, 02:53:18 PM »
Just finished Gardens of the Moon. I like it more than I did at the beginning, but I'm still rather lukewarm about it.

I thought the way he tied everything together at the end was pretty awesome. 
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: August 12, 2010, 09:39:03 PM »
I concur. I just bought and started The Quiet War interesting so far.