Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 360486 times)

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #1470 on: August 03, 2010, 01:25:24 PM »
I got 1.5 books into Orson Scott Cards Alvin Maker on audi and was completely bored. I cannot explain why I did not like it. It had to do with the fantasy elements being too light and the fantasy being more talk than fantastical.

I am about 1/3 of the way through Naomi Vivik's first book. It is totally engrossing. I never would have picked it up if not for what people said on here and the review on Elitist books. The blurb on the book did not do anything for me. Again, its hard to say why I like it. I think it is the writing style, historical elements, and how interesting the characters (including Temeraire and his rider) happen to be. I have not been this pleasantly surprised with an audio book since I listened to The Time Travellers Wife 3 years ago (stunning book. Much better than the movie).

I find it difficult sometimes to explain why I like a book and why I do not.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: August 03, 2010, 02:59:24 PM »
Card is overrated, sorry but he is.

Anyways I bought Name of the Wind, To Sail beyond the Sunset, and For Us the Living last night psyched!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: August 03, 2010, 07:51:41 PM »
Finished Grave Peril the other night, and went out and bought the next two books in the series. Less than 24 hours later, I'm a little more than halfway through Summer Knight. It's been some time since I've been this compelled by a series, and according to some subtext from  EBR, I haven't even gotten to the best books in the series yet.

Awesome ^^

Also managed to, finally, find a copy of Alcatraz vs The Knights of Crystallia at the library today. Only Alcatraz book they had in, and the only published Sanderson novel I haven't read.

Awesomesauce.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1473 on: August 04, 2010, 07:27:29 PM »
So Office of Shadow, so far, is heads and tails better than Midwinter.  In fact, I'm quite taken aback at just how DIFFERENT they are.  It's like two different people wrote them.  Seriously.  That, or this dude did a lot of "authorial maturing" between the two.

Finished the Price of Spring. Abraham is still awesome.

Absolutely true.  Can't wait for The Dragon's Path next year.  Ooh!
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: August 05, 2010, 04:31:52 PM »
Finished Name of The Wind. ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE! It has the sense of wonderment that so many books try to imitate along with a very strong sense of realism, truly genius.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: August 05, 2010, 05:52:38 PM »
I finished Tongue of Serpents. I love Naomi Novik.  I started and gave up on Discord's Apple, and now I am trying Imager by L.E. Modesitt, Jr. I'm terribly excited because Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal came in for me at the library. I just have to go pick it up.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: August 06, 2010, 05:15:44 AM »
Finished Death Masks today, and now must wait for a bookstore to open so I can read the next book...

In the meantime, I pick up where I left off on Best Served Cold.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1477 on: August 06, 2010, 06:31:09 AM »
I'm reading Erickson's Gardens of the Moon right now. I hate to say it--maybe I'm just not far enough into it--but so far it's not really doing anything for me.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: August 06, 2010, 08:45:19 AM »
I'm reading Erickson's Gardens of the Moon right now. I hate to say it--maybe I'm just not far enough into it--but so far it's not really doing anything for me.

My favourite review of Gardens of the Moon on Amazon starts with this:

Gardens of the Moon feels like it was originally a 10,000 page book, then there was a fire, and only 666 pages were saved.

Note this is a one-star review, and my referencing of it is not in any way my opinion of the book. I just enjoy reading 1-star reviews. XD

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #1479 on: August 06, 2010, 03:11:49 PM »

I was nearly halfway through Gardens before I really started enjoying it.  Once you meet Crokus, things get better (imho).
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: August 09, 2010, 11:30:13 AM »
Well, as I've run out of Dresden books to read (have to wait a while before I have the money and time to pick up White Night and Small Favor) I've decided to take another stab at Gardens of the Moon. This will be my second attempt to read this, having grown bored about a year ago around page 60-something. Also, I got distracted around that time with some other books I can't currently remember, but were apparently vastly more interesting.

I'm at page 106 or so now, and while I'm not confused as other people seem to be (going by the Amazon reviews), I'm just... bored. I don't really care about any of the characters, what's going on, or why it's going on. I've heard the book picks up about halfway through, but to me this is a serious flaw in the storytelling - there's nothing to hook me for the first half of the book? Why am I expected to care enough to get to that point? Everything just ranks as mediocre to me at current - the characters, the story, the prose; it's all just "okay".

Anyway, since I always finish books I start, I'm going to do so this time around. And I'm going to read the next two, at the very least, since I own all three (Half-Price Books was having a sale; got them all for a total of $6). I've also heard that things start clicking into place in Deadhouse Gates, and you start to realize the "true brilliance of Erikson's writing" around this point.

That's an actual quote from a fan on Amazon, by the way. One of many. That's another issue I'm having with it, I think. The fans. So many claim that if you don't like it, that you simply don't 'get it,' and you're an idiot who should go read 'something simpler, and leave Erikson to the grown-ups'. The attitude is a real ringing endorsement.

Gah... okay, gonna end this now, before I start writing an essay on how fans ruin everything...

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #1481 on: August 09, 2010, 03:13:22 PM »
Meh.  Erickson isn't for everyone.  I enjoy the books, but I have to take them in small doses.  Books 4 and 5 have been sitting on my shelf for months now, and I've felt no need to pick them up, although I will.  The rewards are worth it, but sometimes it feels like a chore to plow through his stuff rather than a privilege. 
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: August 09, 2010, 04:01:01 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the series, but I wasn't sold until book 2.  I did see a ton of promise and potential in book 1, which is why I kept reading, but I too had a "so what" attitude for a majority of book 1.  Erikson isn't for everyone, as is the case for every author. 

Typically I say if the first book in a series sucks to you, then don't bother reading on.  Erikson's series is really my only exception.  It's a big commitment, but suggest reading the first 3 books and then making a judgment.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: August 09, 2010, 04:43:31 PM »
Began THE LAST STORMLORD by Glenda Larke and got about 100 pages in before I got bored ...

Finished that. It's 'meh'. Perhaps the second will actually have a plot with a resolution.

Also recently finished Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kindgom, loved it, and am now reading the Pale Horsemen. Also reading American Gods by Gaiman. Enjoying both very much. It's nice to read something good after that other disappointment.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: August 09, 2010, 04:56:14 PM »
Looks like everyone is reading books full of awesome i mean i saw Abercrombie, Erickson, and Gaiman great reads all!
Anyway I'm looking for some good dark fantasy and having problems... uhhhh!