Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311486 times)

Silk

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #1455 on: July 30, 2010, 06:32:25 AM »
The ending honestly didn't bug me when I read it, though I certainly see where you're coming from. I can see why Kay did it the way he did, though, since I think in a lot of ways the story he was telling was over when the story line of the Wens ended, and the horses were dealt with. (Hopefully that's vague enough to be spoiler-free for everyone else.) It would have been hard to NOT mention the fallout from all that, but it's not really the story he was telling, and telling it all in full might have diluted the original story too far.

Hmm. Now I'm going to spend the next few hours debating whether or not the ending was the way it should be... :)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: July 30, 2010, 06:56:55 AM »
You make an interesting point, Silk. I'm going to have to think about that. I've made arguements for 'beyond the scope of the story' before, so I should consider it here too.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: July 30, 2010, 09:47:05 AM »
Just finished Red Seas Under Red Skies, the sequel to The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch.

Wow. Simply... wow. That book was amazing. The ending was perfect. I can't really think of anything else to say other than that. Lies and Red Seas are two of the best book I've read in a long while, and two of the most satisfying stories I think I have ever experienced.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

darkfiction13

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Jason White's website
« Reply #1458 on: July 30, 2010, 11:05:09 AM »
I'm currently reading The Dragonbone Chair and The Name of the Wind. Actually, I'm listening to The Name of the Wind on my iPod.
Visit me on the web at: http://www.jasonwhitefiction.com

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: July 30, 2010, 04:17:31 PM »
Hmm. I'll be curious to hear what you think of Under Heaven. :)

Whoa boy, I HAD to write a review after reading that one, cuz I had to vent. Dunno when the EBR Overlords will get around to posting it. But here's the gist:

Awesome setting.
Awesome characters.
Beautiful prose.
Stupid ending.

Have I mentioned how much I like how I am called on these forums?  I'm either an EBR Overlord (who DOESN"T like being called an Overlord?), or BSG (Battle Star Galactica?  I will take that association any day of the week).  Makes me feel all sort of warm and squishy inside.

Gonna try to get your Under Heaven review in next week along with a George Mann review, and an Interview with Ed Greenwood, and maybe more...next week may have more than the customary quantity of content.

But yeah, I don't like Kay very much.  He has really solid ideas, and write soooo well, but I typically detest his pacing, and (to me) the arrogance that comes through his writing.  Of course, that last bit may have been colored by actually hearing him talk...

Shiver: Lynch is full of awesome.  All the time.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1460 on: July 30, 2010, 06:50:49 PM »
So I hit DI (second-hand everything store in Utah) this morning and got two hardbacks in perfect condition.

Red Seas Under Red Skies by Lynch-- $4
The Passage by Cronin -- $5

I couldn't believe how I made off with those, but it's the solid truth.

Had to mention them after the recent love for Red Seas on this thread.

Anyhow.

I'm reading Midwinter by Sturges right now.  Just over halfway through.  Going to be doing a review for the second book in the series (Office of Shadow) and figured it might be a bit easier to do so if I'd read the first in the series.  I'm kind of conflicted about the setup of reviewing books for which I haven't read prior books in the series.  This was an easy catch-up though.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: July 30, 2010, 06:54:13 PM »

Shiver: Lynch is full of awesome.  All the time.

Agreed. I only wish there was more of his stuff to read. I've read all of his serial novel, Queen of the Iron Sands,  that's been posted so far on his website, as well as Into the Stacks in the Swords and Dark Magic anthology. If there's any more of his work currently out there, I'd love to get my hands on it.

In other news, I don't recommend taking Palimpsest, by Catherynne M. Valente to work to read on your breaks. It is too hard to put down once you've picked it up, and I was late from my break yesterday because of it. I also didn't get to sleep until 5am this morning because of the awesomeness of that book.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: July 30, 2010, 10:37:46 PM »
I'm kind of conflicted about the setup of reviewing books for which I haven't read prior books in the series.

Word.

Sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day to do so, but when I can, I try.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #1463 on: July 30, 2010, 10:52:14 PM »
Last night I read The Fool Jobs by Joe Abercrombie, also in the Swords and Dark Magic anthology.  I loved it.  It kinda reminded me of a short story I wrote (some of you read it, Discharge).  Anyway, I love Abercrombie, but I need to take him in small doses. 
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: July 30, 2010, 11:21:44 PM »
But yeah, I don't like Kay very much.  He has really solid ideas, and write soooo well, but I typically detest ... the arrogance that comes through his writing.  Of course, that last bit may have been colored by actually hearing him talk...

I've never heard him speak, but I got the distinct feeling that if he were sitting next to me as I read UNDER HEAVEN he would have had a smug look on his face. That's the way he writes.

hubay

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: July 31, 2010, 12:49:08 AM »

Have I mentioned how much I like how I am called on these forums?  I'm either an EBR Overlord (who DOESN"T like being called an Overlord?), or BSG (Battle Star Galactica?  I will take that association any day of the week).  Makes me feel all sort of warm and squishy inside.

You know, Mr. Overlord, you should be worried about your new reviewers. I'm sure stealing them away from them away from the human populace has temporarily made your blog stronger, but since you haven't included them in your hive mind they can rebel and usurp your power once the protoss attack. ( I've been playing lots of starcraft 2 lately.)

In related news, your blog has convinced me to finally start reading the Temaire books. I've been putting it off because my library has every book in the series except the first – what gives? –  so I finally had to cave in and buy it.

In keeping with my current 'standard'/fantasy reading habits, I'm pairing His Majesty's Dragon with Devil in the white city. Not as classic as some of my other choices, but I've been meaning to read it for a while.

And Silk: You really should read it if you get a chance. It's one of the better dystopian (it's kind of cyberpunky, but more accessible than your standard fare) books I've read in a while.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 12:54:18 AM by hubay »

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: July 31, 2010, 04:57:18 AM »
Horray! A new Novik reader (yes, you can blame me, I wrote that review).

As for Devil in the White City, it's a really interesting book. He tries too hard to make it read like a novel, but that's easy to ignore. He does an excellent job of pairing the two stories and has great imagery and a sense of suspence.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: July 31, 2010, 01:04:53 PM »
Just finished Palimpsest. Simply amazing. Red Seas Under Red Skies, and then this... both immensely satisfying, to the point where I worry that I might be spoiled for the next book I read.

Then again, maybe I need something less awesome to bring myself down from that...

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: August 02, 2010, 05:27:19 PM »
I read Red Seas a while back and it really IS full of awesome it stands up against Lies of Locke Lamora which was hard to do.

Anyways, started and finished Friday by Heinlein, now I'm off to read Methuselah's Children
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1469 on: August 03, 2010, 06:53:24 AM »
Finished the Price of Spring. Abraham is still awesome.

I'm now reading Austin Grossman's Soon I Will Be Invincible. Pretty good so far.