Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311047 times)

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #1320 on: June 07, 2010, 10:47:35 PM »
Leviathan Wept has been delayed.   :'(  But it's only for 2-3 weeks.  I guess I can manage.

Put it down for a bit to re-read The Folding Knife though.

So....the ending makes sense to you? You liked it?

After finishing my re-read, I have to ask:  What was wrong with the ending?  :)  I thought it was fully satisfying.  All in all, I enjoyed the book more this time through than I did the first.

Haha. Be nice, Dan!

I guess there are two ways to interpret my sarcasm there.  In this case, I meant it in the most positive way possible.  As in:  Who wouldn't be interested?  Not:  Who would?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:51:00 PM by WriterDan »
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: June 08, 2010, 01:13:58 AM »
After finishing my re-read, I have to ask:  What was wrong with the ending?  :)  I thought it was fully satisfying.  All in all, I enjoyed the book more this time through than I did the first.

Because the climax was told through a freaking letter, when we've spent 400 pages on the minutae of Basso's day-to-day comings and goings, so it was disparate from what Parker had spent the entire book setting up. It's as bad as Twilight's pov character being unconscious during the climax. (No, wait. Sorry. Not THAT bad.) And then the main character who's spent his whole life fighting just gives up. His wife's actions come completely out of left field. I could go on, but those are the main points.

The rest of the book was fine and quite fun to read. I would have been happy if it had stopped at about page 375.

I guess there are two ways to interpret my sarcasm there.  In this case, I meant it in the most positive way possible.  As in:  Who wouldn't be interested?  Not:  Who would?

As in YOU since you were selected. :P
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 01:21:15 AM by Nessa »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1322 on: June 08, 2010, 05:25:02 AM »
Okay, so yes, the fact that the climax came through a freaking letter was horrific.  King to you.  In fact, that point was the "one problem" that I had with the book.  Well, with the last third or so actually.  :D  Letters and story summary overcome the actual stuff thats more character interactive, which really bothered me.  I was pretty disappointed the first time through because of this fact.  And the ending just felt blah because of it.  This time through though, I kind of stepped back and just enjoyed the way the thing was written.  The ending bothered me a bit, but not so much this time.  Though there is something that is important:  Basso just got his sister's son killed.  He loved his sister more than anything or anyone.  Maybe that was why he gave up?  Who knows.  It's not in the book, as some would say.  As a whole, I thought the story was decent, and I really enjoyed the way it was written.  Of course, if it comes to picking a book with a decent story with great writing OR a great story with mediocre writing, I'll take the first option every time.  Why?  Mostly because the way a story is written is such an integral part of the reading experience for me.  I completely agree with Steve about The Company though.  That ending was just horrible.  No matter how good the book could have been.  Yeah.

And huzzahs to you as well, Nessa.  Thou art an Elitist.  While I'm only coming in somewhere around third place...  8)
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1323 on: June 08, 2010, 05:55:18 AM »

Haha. Be nice, Dan!

My bad. I guess I'm just cynical and jaded and assume people mean negative things all the time. :P

Yes, congrats to you both.

Speaking of book reviews, I just realized that I've read several books that I haven't reviewed yet. Hm. I should get to that.

And I just finished with Francis's The Cipher.  It was good. I think.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:58:16 AM by Silk »

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 08, 2010, 03:54:23 PM »
I'm reading Shalador's Lady by Anne Bishop. I never know quite what to think of her. Her writing is very engaging but a lot of her content bugs me.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: June 08, 2010, 04:26:17 PM »
Yay for you new reviewers.  I'm trying to be more excited (I really am), but I kinda hurt my lower back Sunday night, so I loaded up on pain stuff.  It isn't helping a ton.  If I move much I am reduced to crying like a little girl reading Twilight.  Coincidentally, though I don't think it is fake-vampire related, I also see sparkles in my vision when I move suddenly (or at all).

I read a lot of books over the last week.  I'll list them later.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: June 08, 2010, 05:56:57 PM »
picked up the audio Stonehenge by Bernad Cornwell

This is historical fiction. One of the writing excuses guys recommended him on their podcast.

link389

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: June 09, 2010, 05:51:18 AM »
I'm reading Bran Hambric: The Farfield Curse for the second time at the moment.  It's middle-grade fantasy, but really interesting and fun.  After that, I'm tossing up between Elantris or Warbreaker.  Any suggestions?
"Light shines through the sands of time,
As down the Aeonglass it pours,
Until the Darkness shift the glass
And bring the Lords to Bloody shores."

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: June 09, 2010, 05:24:10 PM »
picked up the audio Stonehenge by Bernad Cornwell

This is historical fiction. One of the writing excuses guys recommended him on their podcast.

I've read this one and it's ok. Some of his other stuff is better.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: June 09, 2010, 05:32:47 PM »
I'm reading a book by an author I like, but the book has such a horrible cover that I don't want to admit I'm reading it.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: June 09, 2010, 09:21:02 PM »
I'm reading a book by an author I like, but the book has such a horrible cover that I don't want to admit I'm reading it.

That was me while reading The Gathering Storm. I always take the dust jacket off when I read a hardcover. With TGS, I was loath to put it back on when I was done.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

aronsamma

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: June 10, 2010, 11:02:13 PM »
I've recently finished:

Quicksilver - Neal Stephenson
13 Things That Don't Make Sense - Michael Brooks (mixing it up with a little nonfiction)
The Painted Man - Peter V. Brett

and I'm currently working on:

The Confusion - Neal Stephenson

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: June 11, 2010, 07:08:00 AM »
I've recently finished:

Quicksilver - Neal Stephenson
13 Things That Don't Make Sense - Michael Brooks (mixing it up with a little nonfiction)
The Painted Man - Peter V. Brett

What did you think of The Painted Man?  I thought it was pretty good for a 1st book.

I am just about done with the Amber series.  I only have about 50 pages left in the last book.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: June 11, 2010, 01:17:58 PM »
Please post a review of the Neal Stephenson books as a new thread or a TWG review. I have been meaning to read more of his books for a while, but I have not had a chance.

If anyone else has read his books please post a review. I read Snow Crash a while and thought it was outstanding. Stephen King has praised him in 2 of his novels (Cell and Under the Dome)

aronsamma

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: June 11, 2010, 07:35:05 PM »
What did you think of The Painted Man?  I thought it was pretty good for a 1st book

I really liked it. It wasn't terribly original, but you know, I didn't mind that. It was told really well, except for a few times when the perspective got a little weird. I'm looking forward to the sequel.