Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311430 times)

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #1245 on: April 29, 2010, 07:00:53 PM »
Finished Ghost Brigades

I felt Ghost Brigades was the weakest of the series.  It just felt flat to me when compared to OMW and (later) Last Colony.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1246 on: May 01, 2010, 04:42:36 AM »
Finished Infoquake.  Really good.  I was really surprised at how much I liked it because it all centered around business, of which I'm not a big fan of the details.  But it was good.

Reading Twelve by Jasper Kent now, with some Color of Magic by Pratchett sprinkled in here and there.  Haven't read any Discworld stuff before and a friend of mine nearly went off the handle when I told him so.  Reading both on my Kindle.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: May 01, 2010, 01:18:19 PM »
The Help by Kathryn Stockett, set in civil rights era Jackson, Mississippi (historical fiction, not sf). Half-way through, and DANG is it good.

Edit: Finished it. Ahhhh that was a good story. Well developed, excellent conflict, interesting characters. Just great all around.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 07:19:28 PM by Nessa »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: May 01, 2010, 07:07:03 PM »
I just finished Bones of Faerie by Janni Simmer. If you're looking for a clean book for YA readers its pretty good. It's a little dark. The book starts off with a baby girl being born with faerie hair. Anything of faerie is shunned so the baby's father takes her out and leaves her in the forest for the faeries.

A few hours later the baby's older sister (our protagonist) sneaks out to try to go and get her baby sister but the wild animals got to her first and she finds only half eaten bones . . .
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: May 03, 2010, 04:34:12 PM »
Finished Infoquake.  Really good.  I was really surprised at how much I liked it because it all centered around business, of which I'm not a big fan of the details.  But it was good.

Told ya so.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #1250 on: May 03, 2010, 04:49:48 PM »

Reading Twelve by Jasper Kent now, with some Color of Magic by Pratchett sprinkled in here and there.  Haven't read any Discworld stuff before and a friend of mine nearly went off the handle when I told him so.  Reading both on my Kindle.

Don't be put off by The Color of Magic.  Pratchett didn't really hit his stride until about ten books later in the series.  When I recommend him, I usually say to start with the book Guards!  Guards!.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: May 05, 2010, 04:01:05 PM »
Finished DRAGONFLY FALLING, WWW: WAKE, and THE OSIRIS RITUAL.

DRAGONFLY=awesome
WAKE=meh
OSIRIS=awesome

After reading WAKE, my expectations for Hugo nominated novels has sunk to an unprecedented low.  They aren't bad, but they just aren't worthy of the hype.  I only have 2 nominated novels left.  One I expect to suck.  The other (JULIAN COMSTOCK) I am actually excited about.

I also have KRAKEN and NIGHTS OF VILLJAMUR at home to read, along with Alan Campbell's Deepgate Codex series that I imported due to the superior UK covers.

Speaking of awesome covers and books that have me excited, go to Pyr's webpage, and go to their blog.  They have their Fall/Winter catalog announced with covers and descriptions to all their releases.  They ALL look awesome (with 1 exception).  It is a remarkable line-up.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #1252 on: May 05, 2010, 05:02:11 PM »
I picked up Old Man's War last week at a used book shop for $1.50.  Finished it last night at 1:30 a.m.  It was pretty full of awesome.  It wasn't perfect, but it was amazingly interesting, and it dragged me through to the end.  I couldn't put it down after I got to Part III.  I had forgotten how much I loved a good military sci-fi story.
~T.S. Eliot

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: May 05, 2010, 05:13:43 PM »
It's better than Starship Troopers..... and coming from me that's saying alot!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1254 on: May 06, 2010, 06:40:45 AM »

Told ya so.

lol.  Yes.  You did.  I shall doff my hat to the master.

<<doffing of hat>>

I'll definitely be continuing that series.

Finished DRAGONFLY FALLING, WWW: WAKE, and THE OSIRIS RITUAL.

DRAGONFLY=awesome
WAKE=meh
OSIRIS=awesome

After reading WAKE, my expectations for Hugo nominated novels has sunk to an unprecedented low.  They aren't bad, but they just aren't worthy of the hype.  I only have 2 nominated novels left.  One I expect to suck.  The other (JULIAN COMSTOCK) I am actually excited about.

I also have KRAKEN and NIGHTS OF VILLJAMUR at home to read, along with Alan Campbell's Deepgate Codex series that I imported due to the superior UK covers.

Speaking of awesome covers and books that have me excited, go to Pyr's webpage, and go to their blog.  They have their Fall/Winter catalog announced with covers and descriptions to all their releases.  They ALL look awesome (with 1 exception).  It is a remarkable line-up.

Need to get my hands on Empire in Black and Gold.  No surprise on Wake.  For me, RobertSawyer=meh.  I've heard that Kraken is really quite good. Mieville has an amazing imagination.  Man.  I do wish his endings could be a bit better.  Maybe this time...

The Pyr lineup looks SOOOOOO amazingtastic.  Nearly fell out of my chair when I saw the cover for Spring-heeled Jack.  Whoa.  The covers that Pyr is able to get for their books are just wow.  How cool would it be to get my novel picked up by them?  The idea boggles the mind.  So, your post begs the question:  Which book are you NOT excited about?  :)

Read on the blog that Tchaikovsky is working on Book 7 (are you kidding me?) of his Shadows of the Apt series.  Any idea how long that series is supposed to be?  Or is there even an end?  I looked up the wiki on the series and he's got all sorts of bug-people.  You have any idea how many insects there are in the world?  Essentially unlimited source material here.

I got The Maze Runner from the library and am almost through it.  Bunch of freaking disgruntled, uncommunicative teenagers.  It's like a not-so-great version of Lord of the Flies in TechnoWorld.  Eh.  I'm mostly just confused by what is going on in it.  Spot-on review at EBR, Steve.

Don't be put off by The Color of Magic.  Pratchett didn't really hit his stride until about ten books later in the series.  When I recommend him, I usually say to start with the book Guards!  Guards!.

So far the story is all over the place.  Construction is horrible, but the world/story so far is okay.  Bout 15% in.  I don't think I could really be all that critical of it because of the tone of the story though.  Just too...whimsical.  I tend to give those kinds of stories a lot of leeway.  Tone reminds me a bit of what I tried to put into the story I just sent to WotF.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #1255 on: May 06, 2010, 02:39:22 PM »
Yes, whimsical would be the best word to describe The Color of Magic.  The reason I say not to be put off by it is that the book is not really representative of the bulk of Mr. Pratchett's writing.  The Color of Magic is a farce, and so is it's sequel, The Light Fantastic.  After about the first four books or so where he hasn't really settled on a voice or style, Pratchett starts writing satire, and nearly all of his books from then on are about the best fantasy-satire you can find.  Guards! Guards! is the beginning of his first series where he is really hitting his stride, which is why I generally recommend it, although the Rincewind/Twoflower books have some awesome stories in the series (Interesting Times being my favorite), so at one point or another it is worth reading Pratchett's early work.
~T.S. Eliot

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: May 06, 2010, 04:11:06 PM »
So, your post begs the question:  Which book are you NOT excited about?  :)

Not telling. 

But yeah, Spring Heeled Jack?  Words cannot describe how excited I am for it.  The bummer is I think my wife imported Jasper Kent's series for me last week.  Talk about unfortunate timing.

As for Shadows of the Apt, he wants it to be 10 books initially.  However, there are definitive arcs within the series.  Books 1-4 are a complete arc.  Then 5-7, then 8-10.  But with limitless bugs?  He could go on forever.  And that's OK with me.

The new James Enge looks pretty solid too.  I love his writing style.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: May 06, 2010, 06:37:54 PM »
about 3/4 of the way through book 3 of the Worldwar saga from Turtledove. Really enjoying this series. Dont really like the timeline leaps he does though. probably going to read Guns of the South after I finish Titling The Balance, sicne it has been highly recommended by some people here.

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: May 07, 2010, 01:11:55 AM »
I just started The Blade Itself after reading the Elitist Book Review. Pretty good so far but nothing amazing has happened yet . . .
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: May 07, 2010, 01:43:09 AM »
I just started The Blade Itself after reading the Elitist Book Review. Pretty good so far but nothing amazing has happened yet . . .

I'm almost finished with it, and so far nothing amazing has happened. Despite this, for some reason I am loving it. It might just be Abercrombie's style of writing. I can tell something is building, and I can just feel that it's going to be amazing.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?