Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 367051 times)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #1125 on: February 05, 2010, 08:26:22 PM »
I had a book that I read years ago but I couldn't remember the title or author.  I was thinking of posting a description on here to see if anyone knew what it was. Imagine my surprise when I got a book from the library because the author had been recommended on a random forum and found out that it was the same book I had been trying to find.  The world is weird.

The book is God Stalk by P. C. Hodgell.  I'll see if it was as interesting as I remembered.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: February 08, 2010, 06:01:44 PM »
This John Saul book is bumming me out.  Has anyone read extensively of his work?  This is only the 2nd novel of his that I've read, and they both have had the exact same plot.  Black House, and House of Reckoning.  Traumatized kids who inevitably take revenge?  Is this all he does now?
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1127 on: February 09, 2010, 08:03:53 AM »
lol.  So, the only book of his that I've ever tried to read is a book called The Devil's Labyrinth.  And it starts out with a couple kids.  Though I haven't gotten much further than that.   I don't pick it up very often.

I finished Neuropath.  Steve and Nick were way too nice in their review.  For me, there was nothing thrilling about the book, the "questions" that it raised were absolutely retarded, and the ideas were harped upon over, and over, and over,  and...really I don't think I could repeat those two words any less than an infinite number of times and get even close to how ham-fisted it was.  The dude can write, yes.  But prose is not story.  And there's essentially nothing in the book that'll ever make me want to revisit its pages.  In fact (and it just about kills me to say this) I'll probably give this one away.  Travesty, I know, but it was seriously THAT bad.  I'm just going to stick to Bakker's fantasy stuff.

I got sick last week and read Storm of Swords (because my copy of Memories of Ice was up at my school office) while I was laid out on the couch.  It was a decent read, but not great.  Better than Clash of Kings.  There are very few characters that I even care to read about in the series (Jon Snow, Arya Stark, and Tyrion Lannister) and so slogging through the rest was tough.

I'm going to burn through Hunger Games as soon as my wife finishes reading it, and then finally get to Memories of Ice.  I'm really looking forward to it now.  I meant to read these first three Malazan books straight through.  So much for the best laid plans of mice and men.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: February 09, 2010, 05:22:51 PM »
The issue with Neuropath is knowing what to compare it to.  If you compare it to his fantasy novels, it sucks bad.  If you compare it to the typical mystery/thriller novel, it isn't awesome, but it isn't terrible either.  That was the most difficult thing for me to realize when reviewing this novel.  I have to keep genres very divided, because it isn't fair to compare, say, the latest James Patterson to Steven Erikson.  Apples and oranges.

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1129 on: February 09, 2010, 05:59:12 PM »
It wasn't horrible as compared to other thrillers?  Man.  You know, I don't think that I've ever read another book in the "thriller" genre.  But, for me, there was never any tension in the book.  At all.  It was just a bunch of blah-blah repetition about "The Argument" with a bunch of over the top sex/violence.  I admit, there was a point for about 5-6 pages where I felt some tension (the final kidnapping that resolves itself so abruptly), but other than that...blah.  When I see "thriller" I expect...well, tension.  I expect to be strung out on worry and concern and freakish levels of having to know what happens next.  I just didn't ever get that.  Maybe I need to read more thrillers.  But given the comparison level that you've given it, I don't find myself really wanting to all that much.  What a bummer.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: February 09, 2010, 07:55:41 PM »
Yeah.  Most Mystery/Thriller novels fall under the "lower your expectation" category.  You have to make yourself think totally differently, and consider the main market/focus group for those novels.  Don't think too hard when reading them. 

Neuropath's actual mystery (or better yet, how people react to it) is pretty typical.  I think had there not been pages and pages of philosophical and psychological debate, the tension would have been stronger.  Of course, Bakker would have had to add a lot more mystery elements...

I wish I could say that I will read only his fantasy, but I know when anything by Bakker is released, I'll read it hoping for the best.  Plus, you know, that whole review thing...

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1131 on: February 09, 2010, 10:03:38 PM »
Yeah, I hear you.  Tell you what.  If I see a glowing review from you about another of Bakker's non-Fantasy books, then I'll get a copy from the library and read it.  No more buying them straight off the cart for me though.

I need to get me some James Barclay and Mark Chadbourne.

Two weeks 'til I get more KJ Parker.  Oooooh!  I'm shivering.  ;D

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #1132 on: February 10, 2010, 04:08:07 PM »
So I finished Dead House Gates last night, and while it was good, I felt like it needed . . . more.  I scratch my head at that statement because the book was 700+ pages long, but I still felt like the ending was lacking.  I liked the ending of Gardens of the Moon much better.  I guess I was expecting the plot-lines to converge like they did in the first one and turn into a giant ball of awesome, but it never did.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: February 10, 2010, 05:12:46 PM »
The ending of Deadhouse Gates makes more sense after reading Memories of Ice.  It is really 1 book split between regions.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: February 12, 2010, 07:12:51 PM »
MoI is on Genabackis... where Gardens of the Moon takes place. It is the biggest ball of awesome out of all the series so far.

Almost finished with Dust of Dreams.... Awesome!!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #1135 on: February 15, 2010, 12:03:34 AM »
Just finished Redliners by David Drake.  One of his older books, but it is awesome.  Very sad, but awesome.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 06:23:08 PM by Recovering_Cynic »
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1136 on: February 16, 2010, 06:13:12 PM »
Just finished Hunger Games.  It had a lot of problems for me.  Guess I never really got into it.  Vaguely interesting ideas, but not anywhere near what I'd expected due to all the fuss.  Unfortunate.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: February 16, 2010, 08:18:34 PM »
Just finished Dust of Dreams.... and wow!!!! The ending was just fabulous, this book ranks up right beneath Memories of Ice... along with Bonehunters. Steve Icarium was awesome!!!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1138 on: February 18, 2010, 06:16:08 PM »
The Folding Knife came in the mail yesterday.  Ha ha!!!

And today, I've put aside Memories of Ice (just when I was getting into the story too) and started it instead.  KJ Parker.   8)  Can't help but love it.  Erikson can wait.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: February 19, 2010, 12:03:51 AM »
I'm reading EMPIRE IN BLACK AND GOLD and also GEOSYNCHRON.