Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311183 times)

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #990 on: November 24, 2009, 01:16:34 AM »
Yeah, that was my decision too.  It kinda helped that I had already purchased them a few weeks ago and they were sitting on my bookshelf taunting me.  I'm ordering the Malazan books 2-4 on Amazon; they'll be here long before I finish Before They Are Hanged and The Last Argument of Kings.

It's so lovely to hear from dear old Glokta.  He just brightens my day...
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: November 24, 2009, 09:56:44 PM »
Erickson will steal ALL of your FREE TIME until you finish his series... it's like crack put in binding
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: November 24, 2009, 11:21:41 PM »
I'm reading the Erikson short story collection (the Malazan one), and Westerfield's LEVIATHAN.

WriterDan--I'm glad you liked Reynolds.  I haven't gotten to that novel yet, though just the fact that you thought it was enjoyable makes me hopeful--I mean, we've already established we have similar tastes.

As a note to all you who like the stuff I like: Next year, a short story collection is coming out from Eos titled Swords and Dark Magic.  It was edited by good old Lou Anders.  It is 576 pages of stories with the following table of contents:

"Introduction: Check Your Dark Lord at the Door" - Lou Anders & Jonathan Strahan
"Goats of Glory" - Steven Erikson
"Tides Elba: A Tale of the Black Company" - Glen Cook
"Bloodsport" - Gene Wolfe
"The Singing Spear" - James Enge
"A Wizard of Wiscezan" - C.J. Cherryh
"A Rich Full Week" - K. J. Parker
"A Suitable Present for a Sorcerous Puppet" - Garth Nix
"Red Pearls: An Elric Story" - Michael Moorcock
"The Deification of Dal Bamore" - Tim Lebbon
"Dark Times at the Midnight Market" - Robert Silverberg
"The Undefiled" - Greg Keyes
"Hew the Tint Master" - Michael Shea 
"In the Stacks" - Scott Lynch
"Two Lions, A Witch, and the War-Robe" - Tanith Lee
"The Sea Troll's Daughter" - Caitlin R Kiernan
"Thieves of Daring" - Bill Willingham
"The Fool Jobs" - Joe Abercrombie

I just fainted again seeing this list.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: November 25, 2009, 04:10:27 AM »
I'm half-way through The Moon is a Harsh Mistress BRILIANT... can't say if Time Enough for Love is better or worst...  but i still prefer the beggining of Stranger in a Strange Land we will see what i think when i finish...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: November 25, 2009, 04:12:14 AM »

Decided today that I will continue my wade through the massive library that is known as the Star Wars Extended Universe. . . yeah, that's at least a few hundred books. =]
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #995 on: November 25, 2009, 08:25:33 PM »
I love the Moon is a Harsh Mistress. I like Heinlein, but that one is my favorite.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #996 on: November 25, 2009, 08:36:48 PM »
I just finished Gardens of the Moon.  Holy freaking cow.  I am humbled. 

I have Gardens of the Moon on me to read pile. So you're saying it's definitely worth my time? (I just have extreme difficulty caring to plow on with a book I, um, don't care about, and so it worries me)
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #997 on: November 25, 2009, 08:56:14 PM »
Chaos, here's what I'll say about Gardens of the Moon:  If you start reading it, get half way through the book, and you are not hooked, then toss it.  I had a hard time getting through about the first third of it.  It was intricate, well written, but I had a hard time seeing where it was going.  About a third of the way through, Erikson gave me a character that I loved, and all the plot lines started to weave and tighten.  The last third of the book is near impossible to put down.

The reason I say I was "humbled" by the book is this: I have never read a book where the author created such a complex and believable universe.  I say universe because the story involves men, gods, demi-gods, demons, and everything in between.  It is, hands-down, the most epic thing I have ever read.  It is everything that The Wheel of Time could have been if it hadn't bogged itself down, but it is updated as well.  There are no cliches here.  It's a heck of a ride, if you are willing to give it a chance.

So like I said, take a lazy Saturday and read the first half the book.  If you are not convinced by then, well, Erikson may not be for you.
~T.S. Eliot

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #998 on: November 25, 2009, 09:08:33 PM »
Excellent analysis. I sure hope I will like it; epic is awesome.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: November 25, 2009, 09:32:30 PM »
There aren't any series of novels out there right now that are more epic than Erikson (in my opinion).  I am a tad biased since Erikson is my fav, but I readily admit that his series isn't for everyone.  It takes an investment of time and intellect to fully appreciate the series.  Once you let yourself get sucked into the world, you will realize there is so much more going on in a single book in the series than most other full series combined.

As the biggest Erikson fan around here, even I wasn't convinced of the series' awesomeness until I'd finished book 2.  After I read book 3, I had to reevaluate everything I'd read in the fantasy genre, because it was simply the best book I had read.

Is Erikson worth your time?  Yes.  Gardens shouldnt take too long to read--it is the shortest in the series.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #1000 on: November 25, 2009, 09:37:48 PM »
There aren't any series of novels out there right now that are more epic than Erikson (in my opinion).  I am a tad biased since Erikson is my fav, but I readily admit that his series isn't for everyone.  It takes an investment of time and intellect to fully appreciate the series.  Once you let yourself get sucked into the world, you will realize there is so much more going on in a single book in the series than most other full series combined.

As the biggest Erikson fan around here, even I wasn't convinced of the series' awesomeness until I'd finished book 2.  After I read book 3, I had to reevaluate everything I'd read in the fantasy genre, because it was simply the best book I had read.

Is Erikson worth your time?  Yes.  Gardens shouldnt take too long to read--it is the shortest in the series.

Oh, I completely trust your judgment, Steve. I've had oh-so-many people recommend the book to me, that I would enjoy its complexity. I merely just wanted to get the perspective of someone whose initial impressions of the book weren't so awesome, and whether the temporary slogging through it was productive. I shall definitely grind through books one and two, even if you have to whip me to do it.

I've had bad luck stopping books. I stopped Name of the Wind nearly two pages before Kvothe and the Chronicler met up. Honestly, if I simply worked a little harder, I would have been completely sucked into that book. There's something to be said for some dedicated slogging to get into a book.

Maybe I'll keep notes ;)

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: November 25, 2009, 09:46:11 PM »
I totally get your hesitancy.  And I was originally one of those guys who slogged through the first 2/3 of the book wondering why my friend--who's judgment is impeccable--worshiped the presses the Erikson novels were printed on.  But man, when I understood, I nearly fainted due to the awesomeness.

And he puts out a book a year.  So refreshing.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: November 25, 2009, 10:57:25 PM »
The reason he is approximately 6 on my list of fav's is the majority of his books start as a huge info dump... well written and necessary but if he could only spin it out over a larger period i think i would be brought into the story faster and enjoy the expierence more. Otherwise i have zero complaints and he shames damn near anyone.

P.S. Heinlein kicks everyone's tuckus b/c of Stranger in a Strange Land (recently found out he holds the record for the most Hugo Best Novel awards wasn't surprised but happy)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: November 27, 2009, 05:49:25 AM »
Finished The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, it was AWESOME!!!! Every book i read of Heilein confrims my belief that he is the best in the Genre. Stranger in a Strange Land is the best stand alone novel I have read (Sci-Fi as I don't judge between genres) and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress definetly deserved it's Hugo. Though i think i like Time Enough for Love slightly more than

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #1004 on: November 27, 2009, 06:28:24 AM »
I stayed up until 6:30 a.m. this morning reading Before They Are Hanged.  Wow.  I think of all the authors I have ever read, Abercrombie does characterization the best.

And now on to Last Argument of Kings.
~T.S. Eliot