Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311325 times)

haperez

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #780 on: June 29, 2009, 06:46:35 PM »
Thanks to you all... i think i am gonna give it a try, from all you guys say is a good read to keep me entertained for a while  ;D

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: June 29, 2009, 07:37:48 PM »
She did? To be honest, I didn't notice. What did she retcon?
For one, the white ships. The explanation doesn't match the earlier descriptions.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #782 on: June 30, 2009, 01:24:22 AM »
Finished "The Color of Magic" and "The Light Fantastic" by Terry Pratchet. I didn't like them as much as some of his more recent books, but they were excellent.

"Name of The Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss was actually pretty good. It sounded kinda gimmicky as an idea, but since the Writing Excuses guys heartily endorse it, I read it anyway. I'll definitely read the next book in the series.

The first book in the Belisarius series, on the other hand, wasn't my cup of tea. I'm not going to pick up any more of those.

I'm off to the library before it closes. :)
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

echigo109

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 30, 2009, 01:28:43 AM »
I just finished the Children of Hurin. and am now reading The Return of the King and The Silmarillion all by jrr tolkien ( Children of Hurin and The Silmarillion where edited by christopher tolkien). and the  Tyranny of the Night by glenn cook.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #784 on: June 30, 2009, 06:41:10 AM »
As a word of warning, the Silmarillion reads like the Bible.  It's a wonderful book, but definitely no adventure story.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: June 30, 2009, 06:11:26 PM »
As a word of warning, the Silmarillion reads like the Bible.  It's a wonderful book, but definitely no adventure story.

Have you read the Bible? I just finished Psalms, and believe me, The Silmarillion is actually much more interesting and more easy to read.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #786 on: June 30, 2009, 07:47:48 PM »

Have you read the Bible? I just finished Psalms, and believe me, The Silmarillion is actually much more interesting and more easy to read.

Of course I've read the Bible, silly.  The only real thing I can think of that makes the Silmarillion easier to read than the Bible is that Tolkien moved all the genealogies to an appendix.  =þ  Despite this, I've read it twice (which is almost as much as I've read any book).

If you want stories, go for the Books of Lost Tales.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: June 30, 2009, 09:21:26 PM »
Heh, we just finished Psalms too. Took us months to read it out loud. It's been the most torturous book to read so far. At least most of the others have a plot. (Of course, now we've started Proverbs...)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

necronos

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: July 01, 2009, 06:20:57 AM »
I'm reading Elantris for the first time ever.

All I usually read is 40k fiction, but then I took a break to reread all the Wheel of Time before Novembers release of the 12th book, but then I took a break from that to read all of Brandon Sandersons books. Hopefully I can read all of them and get back to the Wheel of Time before I something else catches my attention and makes my pile of books to read bigger.
jeremy208: #FakeKings Wow, the world's first fantasy novel written in 3-D!. The words literally jump off the page. The fight scenes gave me bruises. Ow!

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #789 on: July 01, 2009, 06:23:50 PM »
Reading The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan.  I read the sample deal on my Kindle for this book and didn't know if I was going to like it or not.  The first chapter has info dumps running amok in it.  They tend to peter out by the time you hit Chapter 3, and then only raise their crooked heads occasionally.  So, for the most part its okay so far.  Mostly just character and worldbuilding in the first 100 pages or so though.  Not a whole lot of substance has happened that I can tell.  Will be interesting to get to the end of this one and see what I think of it.

Really getting psyched for The Price of Spring in three weeks, and just found out that KJ Parker has a new novella, Purple & Black, coming out in four weeks.  This is going to be a good month for me.  :D
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: July 01, 2009, 06:29:27 PM »
I'm reading Elantris for the first time ever.

All I usually read is 40k fiction, but then I took a break to reread all the Wheel of Time before Novembers release of the 12th book, but then I took a break from that to read all of Brandon Sandersons books. Hopefully I can read all of them and get back to the Wheel of Time before I something else catches my attention and makes my pile of books to read bigger.

40k fiction? Fiction you say? As far as I'm concerned Ibram Gaunt and his merry band of Guardsmen are as real as the keyboard I'm typing on.....

On a serious note how is the 40k fiction? I enjoy the table top game and the brief stories in the codex's are pretty interesting.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 09:17:18 PM by Comfortable Madness »
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: July 02, 2009, 06:38:08 AM »
The Fantasy side is on par with dragon lance books so if your in to that....
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

necronos

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: July 02, 2009, 06:47:32 AM »
40k fiction? Fiction you say? As far as I'm concerned Ibram Gaunt and his merry band of Guardsmen are as real as the keyboard I'm typing on.....

On a serious note how is the 40k fiction? I enjoy the table top game and the brief stories in the codex's are pretty interesting.

*glances at the Tanith badge on his chest* Of course 'Bram Gaunt is real!

Most of the 40k fiction is good, some of it is awful and some of it is brilliant. Anything written by Dan Abnet is fantastic (Gaunt's Ghosts, the spin off - Double Eagle, The Eisenhorn Trilogy, Ravenor Series, Brothers of the Snake), the Horus Heresy novels (technically 30k - written by different authors) are really good with only one or two crappy titles. The Ciaphas Cain series is quirky and good... that is by Sandy Mitchell.

It depends on what you like in the 40k 'verse too. I'm not a player, just a reader, and I find that I'm not all the excited about Space Marines (with a few expections) but I really love reading about IG or Inquistion.
jeremy208: #FakeKings Wow, the world's first fantasy novel written in 3-D!. The words literally jump off the page. The fight scenes gave me bruises. Ow!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #793 on: July 02, 2009, 05:13:53 PM »
The Fantasy side is on par with dragon lance books so if your in to that....

No, having read several books of both, I can positively say Dragonlance is better.  (I much prefer the Warhammer World, but the fiction... is downright pitiful...)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: July 03, 2009, 02:19:16 AM »
they both just have writers who are in essence whores(not litterally for those of you who take things out of context)...and both are pitiful
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz