Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311359 times)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #660 on: April 12, 2009, 02:39:43 AM »
*shoots mangled remains of haperez's body with rpg*
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 12, 2009, 03:03:11 AM »
Because we all know...

Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 12, 2009, 05:25:50 AM »
I just finished Learning the World by Ken MacLeod. It's a first contact story where humanity is the aliens who have already been in space for several thousand years without encountering any aliens before, and the aliens they meet are early 20th-century bat-people types.

I liked reading it, but after the end, I'm not really satisfied that that's all there is and that there's no sequel. I'll have to check out his other work, but there may be less focus on character than I really prefer.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 13, 2009, 04:33:54 PM »
*dances on harperez's body* i was going to start reading Alcatraz evil librarians but my library had it checked out and I'm broke *cries* and please don't bring up books where as vampires and other creatures shoot off the rainbow like a disco ball else i go on a tirade of destroying myths i like watching on the History channel...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #664 on: April 13, 2009, 06:51:34 PM »
Submissions if they ever arrive.  Some stuff from Reaves, I just picked up a copy of Elantris, but nothing epic.

Sigh.  At my age I should not be hoping for the end of year to arrive sooner.  Ookla steal me an ARC of A Rising Storm.:P
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 13, 2009, 06:54:25 PM »
we only have 2 and half years left!!!!!! then the incas say we are all screwed!!!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #666 on: April 13, 2009, 07:20:20 PM »
They may well be right.  I could make an argument for that timeline agreeing with the NT and Daniel...

But we'll see.

8)
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

haperez

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 15, 2009, 05:11:08 PM »
*shoots mangled remains of haperez's body with rpg*

hehehe i can tell this book is a sensitive topic.... i'll keep quiet or not? hehehe kidding

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 15, 2009, 11:51:10 PM »
Yes. Silence would be advisable.

8)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 16, 2009, 03:26:48 AM »
I plan on forcing myself through the first chunk of Eye of the World tonight. . . hopefully I make it through. ha ha.

I started reading Eye of the World about 3 times over a period of a few years and put it away each time. I didn't get interested in it until the Trollocs attack. My advice would be to just force yourself to read it until there is an attack. After that I could hardly put them down.
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #670 on: April 16, 2009, 06:08:07 AM »
Got through quite a few books recently as I caught the "kill-you-slowly-over-the-course-of-two-weeks" version of THE FLU.

Storm Front by Dresden -- Okay.  Not my favorite.  Kind of cheesy.  Made me chuckle a few times.  Have been told that things pick up a bunch by about book 4.  So, I might continue on with this series but not chomping at the bit for the next one by any means.

Snow Crash by Stephenson -- Decent.  Good writing, interesting characters, lots of speculative chaos.  Especially for a book that is as old as it is (17 yrs).  Totally different than what I thought it would be.  Can't say that I really much enjoyed the book though.  It was interesting, and I finished it...I just don't think I liked it.  <<shrug>>

Writers of the Future, Vol 24 -- Really disappointed in this one.  Just not a lot that grabbed me.  Bitter Dreams (Gold winner, by Ian McHugh) was decent, if simple.  One of the others just totally pissed me off that it was even in there.  Horrible use of "withholding information from the reader".  I don't know.  It was pretty much one let-down after another for me.

Currently reading Lamentation by Ken Scholes.  Pretty good so far.  About halfway through.  Interested to see where it is all going.  He's a WotF winner whose winning story totally had me lost.  Hoping for good things though.

Next up will probably by Unclean Spirits by MLN Hanover (Daniel Abraham).  Urban fantasy from an author that I think writes some GREAT fantasy (Long Price Quartet).  Really looking forward to that one.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #671 on: April 16, 2009, 06:51:08 AM »
Yeah, I've been really surprised at how low-quality a lot of the WotF stuff is.  Frankly, TLE is better much of the time.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 16, 2009, 07:31:04 AM »
I read the ARC of Lamentation and liked it a lot. I'll definitely be checking out the next four books.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #673 on: April 20, 2009, 11:10:18 PM »
So, I think I should have bailed on Lamentation after halfway through.  The second half of the book nearly killed me.  Everything that I liked about the first half of the book seemed to fall apart in the second.  Granted, it's the guy's debut novel.  But I just can't hack stuff like that.  Probably won't be continuing with the series.

Into Unclean Spirits.  Loving it so far.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 21, 2009, 07:01:56 AM »
I'm curious about what you're referring to about Lamentation, WriterDan. But that would probably need its own spoiler thread or private messages.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 07:07:16 AM by Ookla The Mok »