Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311096 times)

Madjius

Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #630 on: March 26, 2009, 03:28:36 AM »
I plan on forcing myself through the first chunk of Eye of the World tonight. . . hopefully I make it through. ha ha.
Is it your first ride through that forest? :)
Few are they who actualy enjoy re-reading stuff.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 26, 2009, 04:06:40 AM »
Umm…I think you may be in the 'few' group on this one, Madjius. I love to re-read books. Good books, anyway.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 26, 2009, 04:14:54 AM »
I love re-reading books, but this is my first time through this one.  It's like my 7th attempt to read it.  I stopped counting though. ha ha.  I usually only make it to like chapter 3
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #633 on: March 26, 2009, 06:54:27 AM »
I only re-read books very rarely—I'd rather read new material than re-read something I've already read, particularly if it's fiction w/o heavy philosophical undertones (ŕ "Le Petit Prince).
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 26, 2009, 06:56:09 AM »
heavy philosophical undertones
I tried explaining that to someone at work the other day and using the lack of it as one of the reasons I dislike the Twilight series.  She was like. . . . urhm, what're you talking about. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #635 on: March 26, 2009, 04:25:09 PM »
Most books I'll only read once. However there are a select few which are of a certain caliber which just demand multiple readings.

Wheel of Time is such a series. I have read it at least 3 (if not more) times, though truthfully each time I re-read the series it IS longer :D

The Belgariad and Mallorean. Read those at least twice.

Otherland. I'm in the middle of a second read through.

There are others, but they aren't coming to mind. Mistborn is going to be one of those. I've only read it once, but I imagine I'll do it again in a year or so. :)
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

kevinpii

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 26, 2009, 05:18:25 PM »
I'm with LoudG, some books just demand a re-read. I have read the wheel of time books twice and will probably start a re-read very soon. I have read the count of Monte cristo three times because I loved it and with its sheer massiveness I had to go through it again to catch up on what I had forgotten or maybe missed the first time.

I'm also in the same boat with Miyabi, there is just a little bit of dread thinking about going through the books again. There are certain parts that I'm afraid I'm going to get bogged down on. Its why I haven't started it yet

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 26, 2009, 06:29:29 PM »
I tried explaining that to someone at work the other day and using the lack of it as one of the reasons I dislike the Twilight series.  She was like. . . . urhm, what're you talking about. ha ha.

I actually think the Twilight series does have some interesting philosophy in it.  I especially appreciated the overarching sexual metaphor of the vampire world.

Of course I realize that admitting I found some value in Twilight essentially relinquishes my claim to any particle of intellectual or literary sophistication.  Most of you will now lose whatever little respect for me you may once have had.   ;)
He ate my horse.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 26, 2009, 09:01:37 PM »

I actually think the Twilight series does have some interesting philosophy in it.  I especially appreciated the overarching sexual metaphor of the vampire world.

Of course I realize that admitting I found some value in Twilight essentially relinquishes my claim to any particle of intellectual or literary sophistication.  Most of you will now lose whatever little respect for me you may once have had.   ;)

YOU HAS NO BRAIN!!! ACKK!!
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 27, 2009, 12:39:43 AM »
I guess I'm one of the few people who re-read a lot of books.  But that could be because I go through them rather quickly.  I've gone through my library at least twice.  I have to admit that I've re-read The Wheel of Time some-odd 20 times though. ;D
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Madjius

« Reply #640 on: March 27, 2009, 02:14:11 AM »

Oh, I love the Magic Can! :D :D :D
Thats the best part of the movie! Heeell yeah! :D

I could summarise the plot for you but then id be banned from this country, website and reality.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 27, 2009, 05:59:21 PM »
out of curiosity, has anyone read Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks? I picked it up on a recommendation and read the first chapter. It feels very meh to me, but that may have been because I had just finished a Joe Abercrombie novel. anyone know if it is worth reading?
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #642 on: March 27, 2009, 08:17:36 PM »
Necroben, I re-read books regularly.  I read them so fast, for plot and to find out what happens, that often I go through it again immediately (if it was good) to get the character stuff I missed the first time.
I also have found I miss some things because I don't say the words in my head as I read.  This happens frequently with Pratchett books.  When I read them aloud to my husband I catch some puns I had missed the first couple of times.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 29, 2009, 11:56:53 PM »
Ya I re-read everything (good). I re-read different books depending on what mood I'm in because I know what they're like and am able to anticipate whether I will enjoy them at certain times.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #644 on: March 30, 2009, 12:36:03 AM »
I also have found I miss some things because I don't say the words in my head as I read.

That happened to me the first time I read Hero of Ages. I read the last 100 pages again after I finished it, and all over the place I was going "I don't remember that!"...It was really weird...

And I re-read books all the time. I've read the first 4 Harry Potter's about 3 or 4 times each. The Belgariad I've read at least 5 times. I make a point to read that every one or two years. Ender's Game is another I've read multiple times. And Mistborn is definitely going on my list of re-reads. Soon.....Really, the list of re-read books is just too long.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."